The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

7 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

He was 7th amongst right handed defensemen in even strength ice time in 19-20. Not sure where “7th/8th” defenseman comes from other than his start in Carolina last season where he was coming off of being quite sick, Carolina was stacked on the right side, and they needed a pure DFD. Also felt he was paid too much for the 3rd pairing and should be in the 2nd pairing which is what he is.

He first played in Edmonton which was well known for just how horrible their defence was. Then after still gaining some notoriety there he was signed by Carolina and ultimately found himself on the bench, for the entire 2022 playoffs as well. After not gaining a foothold there and not even being given a single game in 2022/23 he was traded to a very desperate Vancouver Canucks squad and was subsequently part of one of the worst defenses in the league in 2022/23.

He's 26 at this point, he's averaged 54 games the past 3 years, and his spotty record leaves him in a position of being on the outside looking in, at least for me. Add in the fact he just had shoulder surgery. As such, imo he's a player that needs to prove himself ... not the other way around. I certainly wouldn't be confidently slotting him into a roster position myself as I thought he was seriously lacking on the defensive side of the puck last year.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/the-carolina-hurricanes-could-soon-move-ethan-bear

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not questioning Quadrelli but curious why paying the bonus early (but after the end of the previous cap year) would be circumventing the cap. Whether the bonus is paid early or on the due date has the same effect on cap calculations, does it not (whether or not the player is traded)?

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Not questioning Quadrelli but curious why paying the bonus early (but after the end of the previous cap year) would be circumventing the cap. Whether the bonus is paid early or on the due date has the same effect on cap calculations, does it not (whether or not the player is traded)?

Maybe something to do with a buyout?

16 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Probably the fact the contract becomes easier to dump. 

there is no business or hockey reason to pay the bonus early other than to make the player more tradeable. League would identify this as a cap saving move and penalize as such. 

also Canucks aren’t allowed to do things

12 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

It’s time for hockey fans to stop pretending Rachel Doerrie is some kind of insiders. She speculates wildly and is constantly proven wrong. I give more credence to Eklund. 

Which is more credible? E4 or D4?

little chess joke in there…

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

also Canucks aren’t allowed to do things

I expect shortly we'll be fined for having an ex-employee "willfully, actively and with malice, promoting cap circumvention on social media". Shortly thereafter, they will review it and make it perfectly fine.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

So we have an argument between two people that no one should consider “insiders”.

woohoo!

Kinda proving what I assumed about her.

Shes good at selling herself but then management realizes there’s not much to back it up. 

People really need to stop keeping her relevant by posting her tweets here. You’re only feeding into the thought she has some amount of credibility.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hope he stays, if only because it'll be funny 

Best move for the Canucks is  to hold on to Myers and trade him with retention at the TDL regardless of where we are in the standings and get back a draft pick. Same goes for Pearson if he can come to camp healthy and play in the NHL, wish him all the best and hope he comes back and plays decent then is shipped off for another pick or prospect at the TDL.

Canucks need to NOT lose players for free imo as in a couple years we will be trying to ADD at the TDL so getting a couple picks or prospects back at this upcoming TDL should be a priority. 

The team has added 2 D and a C, so there is no panic to pay to move a player out like Myers. Keep him and trade him at the TDL we suffered watching him for years might as well get a pick back in return for all that suffering!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Best move for the Canucks is  to hold on to Myers and trade him with retention at the TDL regardless of where we are in the standings and get back a draft pick. Same goes for Pearson if he can come to camp healthy and play in the NHL, wish him all the best and hope he comes back and plays decent then is shipped off for another pick or prospect at the TDL.

Canucks need to NOT lose players for free imo as in a couple years we will be trying to ADD at the TDL so getting a couple picks or prospects back at this upcoming TDL should be a priority. 

The team has added 2 D and a C, so there is no panic to pay to move a player out like Myers. Keep him and trade him at the TDL we suffered watching him for years might as well get a pick back in return for all that suffering!

That works if we're out of it, absolutely, and there's a good chance we may be. We should compete but I don't see us as a playoff lock. It'd be nice if him and Pearson have good years, could get us returns as you've said.

I'm just not in a rush to move guys, Myers is fine as a 4D or less, he's a known quantity and given it's a contract year he'll be motivated.

Some folks are just impatient, overhauling a roster tales time.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1