The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THAT needs to be our main Jersey.

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

1 hour ago, tas said:

the skate is objectively an ugly, tacky, dated logo. it's fun for a little bit of nostalgia and history, but is not suited to be the logo of a billion dollar franchise in 2022. recolouring it blue and green makes it look absolutely hideous. 

and the best part about abbotsford using the johnny canuck logo is that I should never have to worry about seeing it on a vancouver jersey, because man is it ever bad.  

I'm afraid your views are among the very minority of Canucks fans. 

For your information, when the Canucks had their AHL affiliate in Hamilton in the early 90's, they were called the Hamilton Canucks and, like the parent team in Vancouver, they wore the Skate. 

2022...whatever. The Canucks are not a 2022 franchise. They're Canada's 3rd oldest NHL franchise going back to 1970 with a 25-year pre-NHL history in the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League. The Skate is no different in design than the Oilers' circle with the OILERS wordmark and the Flyers' Flying P. 

Skate in blue and green....talk about being closed-minded to no end.

th.jpeg-104.jpg

Edited by Tiger-Hearted

10 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I'm afraid your views are among the very minority of Canucks fans. 

For your information, when the Canucks had their AHL affiliate in Hamilton in the early 90's, they were called the Hamilton Canucks and, like the parent team in Vancouver, they wore the Skate. 

2022...whatever. The Canucks are not a 2022 franchise. They're Canada's 3rd oldest NHL franchise going back to 1970 with a 25-year pre-NHL history in the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League. The Skate is no different in design than the Oilers' circle with the OILERS wordmark and the Flyers' Flying P. 

Skate in blue and green....talk about being closed-minded to no end.

th.jpeg-104.jpg

I don't see the point you're making. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Tiger-Hearted said:

It's because you're being closed-minded. I'm not beating around the bush by repeating myself.

I'm being no more closed minded than you are. have you seen the skate in blue and green? it looks awful, at least every mock up I've seen over the years -- and there have been lots. I googled just now for an example and actually came across what is in my opinion the best attempt I've seen at it. I think it looks pretty cool, but it looks bad on a jersey. 

spacer.png

but it did strike me with an epiphany of inspiration for my own design and now I'm considering going out to best buy to replace my hooped laptop so I can photoshop it up.

The Black and the White skate jerseys Rocks.... it's a fabulous jerseys and two of the coolest sports jerseys around.

Absolutely Zero doubt about it... 

Hope to see more of them, be it permanent or occasionally, but they look Ace...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Honestly I like the original colors of black, red and yellow. I dont get the point of why we need the colors of the jersey to match the city. I think the black jersey looks really sharp and maybe helps players in terms of vision when locating teammates on the ice due to the high contrast of the black jersey to the white ice. It also looks meaner versus the calm feeling you get from a blue jersey.

It's not even about matching the city for me tbh, I just prefer our current colours

But that's fine, we all have our preferences 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, SilentSam said:

k, where did I get it wrong?

As Vancouver executive Arthur Griffithsoverspent building General Motors Place, where the NHL's Vancouver Canucks and the upcoming NBA expansion Vancouver Grizzlies would play, in March 1995 he associated with Seattle billionaire John McCaw Jr. - then a co-owner of the Seattle Mariners - to form the Northwest Entertainment Group, which would control both teams and the arena.[2] On August 22 the company was rebaptized Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, in homage to the killer whales that roam on the British Columbia coast.[3] In 1996, McCaw assumed full ownership of the company and its assets.[4]

Vancouver Canucks logo history started a new era in 1997 when the iconic whale logo was unveiled. The emblem featured a Haida style orca whale with an aggressive expression on its “face.” The creature was breaking out of the I’ve.

So the Orca Logo pays homage to the Orca's off our coast, in a Haida style paying homage to BC natives. Makes sense to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn't we oringinally go from our blue, green, and white (colours that actually represent our city) to the puke desert colours to make our team look tougher?  I remember ready a bunch of physcological craperolla back then.  

I don't know about you but the picture below looks a lot like Vancouver to me.....  The blue and green are nice classic colours but the Canucks finally started to gain some level of respectablity in the black orange and gold so this speaks to the nostalgic side of things.

Besides, who said a team's colours needs to represent the city anyway? If you are thinking blue and green then you are thinking slightly abstractly 

image.jpeg.f08d01972372c71b7f3e16c39b27b1f0.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by GB5

5 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Slap this in the middle instead of the spaghetti plate and I’m game 

E90139EE-0FDD-4A3F-BD02-621AE7B4195D.jpeg

That's not bad at all, I would prefer this colour and am curious how the black jerseys would look with a matching stick in the rink logo.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

orca bay wasn't an american company. 

edit: I'm going to try not to be condescending here, but picture it this way.

artie was a boy in vancouver who was given a lemonade stand from his mom and dad. after a few years, he decided to expand and buy a second lemonade stand, and also to buy all new lemons and sugar and equipment for both of them to use. artie soon realized that he was in over his head and couldn't afford to pay for his new equipment and lemons and didn't have enough money to keep making lemonade. he tried to find other boys in vancouver who would buy into the business, but he couldn't find anyone. 

then one day he met johnny, a boy from nearby seattle. johnny had made money mowing lawns and had always wanted to be in the lemonade business. so artie agreed to sell the majority stake in his lemonade business to johnny.

johnny and artie together realized that it would be easier to run their lemonade stands if, rather than running them separately, they made one joint company to organize things. they called it northwest lemonade group.

after a couple years, artie was broker than ever and decided to sell the rest of his stake to johnny, and johnny, after being to vancouver and witnessing the orcas there and thinking they were awesome, decided to rename the company orca bay lemonade and entertainment. 

Dude i can incorporate in Mexico and buy beach front property.   Does that make me Mexican?   Of course it was a US owned business.   That's probably the weakest explanation of the Orca era as i've ever seen.   

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Dude i can incorporate in Mexico and buy beach front property.   Does that make me Mexican?   Of course it was a US owned business.   That's probably the weakest explanation of the Orca era as i've ever seen.   

being owned by an american doesn't make it american. 

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Why does a uniform have to be like our city?  If this was the case 80% of ALL NHL jerseys would be blue - green and white.    TO's OTT, WNP, OTT would.   The white the snow of course.   WSH would .... PHI too, DET would etc etc etc ...   And few teams even the original six ones, don't have much to do with their city or State or province.   Maple Leafs should be Green instead.   Rangers were named after Texas lol.   Bears in Boston!?!  At least Detroit got it right with a Wheel.   And CHI?!! Wow times sure don't like what was recently referred to as the best jersey in hockey .... so.  Habs got it right at least.    Our name is Canucks - not Orca's .... might as well call PHI the PHI - Grittie's instead.    Ugh.    If we want to be purists about this, then we should be supporting Johnny Canuck as our main logo. 

You don't think representing "where" the team play should be part of the identity? Far more teams include a reference to where the team plays than what the team plays. It's a very common element of design. The green/blue with a differnet logo is still a reference to where the team plays. Double whammy of where the team plays with the uni being PNW colors and the Orca's off our coast. That said, it's not the colors of the skate jersey I dislike. The colors actually look do good in combination imo. It's the logo I actually dislike. At the time it was in use I heard it called the flying pizza, the flying spagetti plate, and the flying hot mess. That was from Canuck fans and I couldn't disagree. It would actually look sharp to me with the Orca logo in those colors. Then at least there's still the model of where the team plays. Perhaps that's the actual answer. Keep the Orca logo and change the team colors to the black/red/yellow. A meeting in the middle of the Orca versus the skate. Because I don't hear the anybody calling the skate logo a thing of beauty, it's just the colors people really seem to love.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GB5 said:

That's not bad at all, I would prefer this colour and am curious how the black jerseys would look with a matching stick in the rink logo.

I was typing up a response saying just that while you posted it. Change the colors to the skate uni and keep the Orca. :lol:

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, GB5 said:

Personally, I'd take the best parts of of the skate jerseys (the black) and use our best, and original logo for the best of both worlds:

488623989_blackskatejersey.thumb.jpg.943b90f53650bdcd342de0d023e6da8c.jpg

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Personally, I'd take the best parts of of the skate jerseys (the black) and use our best, and original logo for the best of both worlds:

488623989_blackskatejersey.thumb.jpg.943b90f53650bdcd342de0d023e6da8c.jpg

Always a pass on the SiR for me. Changing the colors doesn't make it any less blah boring. It's fine as a shoulder patch as a nod to our past, but hate it as a primary logo.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

35 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Always a pass on the SiR for me. Changing the colors doesn't make it any less blah boring. It's fine as a shoulder patch as a nod to our past, but hate it as a primary logo.

It's by FAR our best logo. Logo's aren't supposed to be "exciting". Their entire reason for being is to be simple and iconic. The Wild and Coyotes have "exciting" logos and they look like overwrought, train wrecks (as does our awful imitation FN art-constipate whale, and the "spaghetti plate").

minnesota_wild_2014-pres.pngvancouver_canucks1998-2007.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9Fki1rOVozSIN4qC2niU

aps,504x498,small,transparent-pad,600x60

Think of the top, most recognized sports logos... The Yankees, Cowboys, Packers, Canadiens, Flyers, Whalers etc. None are "exciting" or busy. The Red Wings is probably the closest thing to an iconic logo that's a touch busy.

NY-Yankees-450x450.pngDallas-Cowboys-450x450.png

Green-Bay-Packers-450x450.pngCanadiens-1-450x450.pngPhiladelphia-Flyers-450x450.pngDetriot-Red-Wings-1-450x450.png

jzPdxZK.png

275-2752599_nhls-vancouver-canucks-vanco

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's by FAR our best logo. Logo's aren't supposed to be "exciting". Their entire reason for being is to be simple and iconic. The Wild and Coyotes have "exciting" logos and they look like overwrought, train wrecks (as does our awful imitation FN art-constipate whale, and the "spaghetti plate").

Put up all the logos you want. It won't change what I like. Beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder. Btw, I actual like the Wilds logo. It's both creative and looks good. Coyotes not so much. It's too busy and not easy on the eyes. I don't mind the Flyers logo at all. It's interesting and guess what? Includes where the team plays. The Red Wings logo would look good with just the wing. But adding the wheel, a huge nod to where the team plays, makes it great. In the end it's really just a matter of personal taste. Even the Whalers logo includes where the team plays in it. It's quite creative how they got the W, the H, and formed a whale shape as well in their logo. That's what makes it good.

Edited by Baggins