The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THAT needs to be our main Jersey.

Rate this topic

TheNewGM

5 minutes ago, tas said:

the part where you said he brought it with him. orca bay was no more corporate than canucks sports and entertainment or any other umbrella corporation used to manage sports teams and their arenas. the name of the organization and the team's logo were effectively simultaneous, sharing the same local inspiration -- something mccaw himself noticed and loved about vancouver, and rightfully acknowledged that it would make an excellent representation for the team and organization. 

I did say “to me” in my quote,. 
he took over full ownership in 96, and in 97 came up with the Orca Logo, under Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment.

personaly,  I’m not into foreign ownership of anything.

again “to me”,  it reminds me of that era.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I did say “to me” in my quote,. 
he took over full ownership in 96, and in 97 came up with the Orca Logo, under Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment.

personaly,  I’m not into foreign ownership of anything.

again “to me”,  it reminds me of that era.

certainly, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just exhausted by the 'corporate logo' angle and its deeply flawed logic. the orca reminding you of a dark time in the organization's history is perfectly valid. 

edit: though, "to me," it seems pretty stand-up of mccaw to buy the team from the griffiths family when they could no longer handle it, and not move the team to seattle when it would have been very easy and very tempting to do so, considering the canadian dollar during his ownership tenure. 

and obviously there weren't exactly local buyers rushing out to buy the team at the time, because otherwise they, you know, would have ...

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

It doesn’t happen as simple as you think. They don’t just throw them on and go play. It has to be league approved. 

one thing that black jersey has is it’s “special” feel that’s what makes it cool. We can’t lose that and making it our every day jersey it’ll become ordinary really fast. 

I think wearing it once a month so 5 or 6 times a year will still keep the mystique but still give the people the black, red and yellow.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn't we oringinally go from our blue, green, and white (colours that actually represent our city) to the puke desert colours to make our team look tougher?  I remember ready a bunch of physcological craperolla back then.  

You're referring the "V" jerseys that preceded the flying skate logo/jersey.  They were so bad it prompted Tiger Williams to state "we are playing like clowns, so now, they've dressed us up as clowns."

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, tas said:

certainly, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just exhausted by the 'corporate logo' angle and its deeply flawed logic. the orca reminding you of a dark time in the organization's history is perfectly valid. 

edit: though, "to me," it seems pretty stand-up of mccaw to buy the team from the griffiths family when they could no longer handle it, and not move the team to seattle when it would have been very easy and very tempting to do so, considering the canadian dollar during his ownership tenure. 

and obviously there weren't exactly local buyers rushing out to buy the team at the time, because otherwise they, you know, would have ...

I don’t know if the public angle was ever pursued (ownership)..

But personally, I would have put up 100 to 1000 to keep the team under the Griffiths’ .

I truly appreciate the Aqualinnis’ stepping up.

Just has a far better feel to it all.

I think of the Mcaw/Mcammon era as Messier,. And the Gretzky fumble..

appreciate our chat. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

I'd much prefer keeping blue and green as our primary colours, but the skate should be our official 3rd jersey. As much as I like the stick in rink in general, our current iteration of it is kind of bland in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

You're referring the "V" jerseys that preceded the flying skate logo/jersey.  They were so bad it prompted Tiger Williams to state "we are playing like clowns, so now, they've dressed us up as clowns."

That's it!  Thanks.  Those big V uniforms were really bad.  The colors are the same as the ones last night though.  I don't see black, and yellow in our city.  Unless it's the roads and sulfur piles down by inlet.  

I dunno, the novelty would wear off and you all would be complaining to go back to blue green after a few years 

permanent 3rds I agree with, the novelty would last a lot longer and give people something to get excited about when it’s 3rd jersey night 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Saturday only game jersey 

Black skate home 

White skate away

so any highlights or Pics you see in the future where you see Canucks wearing the skate jersey you will know its from a Saturday game.

NBA Lakers wear on Sunday a white jersey. Its only used for Sunday games.

50 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Forgive me my history is off...

Was it not the company owned by an American that purchased the Canucks?

it was the 2nd name given to the company cofounded by john mccaw and arthur griffiths to operate their sports and entertainment business. 

edit: orca bay literally still operates the team, aquilini just changed the name to canucks sports and entertainment, the same way mccaw changed it to orca bay from northwest entertainment group. it's the same entity. orca bay is what aquilini bought from mccaw. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Bring it back but with our current colours, it'd look slick as &^@#. I really liked the Canuck inspired Utica jerseys, I bet doing something like it with the skate would look crisp.

Utica Comets Jersey Is Basically A New Jersey Devils Replica

Comets unveil third jersey and alternate team logo | Rome Daily Sentinel

Canucks recall Philip Holm

Honestly I like the original colors of black, red and yellow. I dont get the point of why we need the colors of the jersey to match the city. I think the black jersey looks really sharp and maybe helps players in terms of vision when locating teammates on the ice due to the high contrast of the black jersey to the white ice. It also looks meaner versus the calm feeling you get from a blue jersey.

15 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

this debate will never end.

I think Aquilini is already sold on the current jerseys and won't be changing them again anytime soon.

The problem is that out of all the logos, Canucks finally settle on a corporate one. The only reason we have that orca logo is because the previous owner wanted to make more money. Its the reason why people dont mind changing it because the whole premise of the current logo was pure greed. Should not have changed in the first place.

• Haha 1