The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New Jersey Devils | Feb. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

On to the next one, if you are to lose than I’m in the opinion being embarrassed is the way to go. It keeps guys humble and fires them up for the next game. 

Yup. Devils lost 8-5 to hawks the prior game. They were hungry for a win. 

It didn't take long to see that the Devil's have a very fast skating team.  The Canucks aren't near as fleet-footed;

especially after playing a game the night before.

This young Devil team is really well put together, granted they have had two 1st overall picks.  What's really

amazing is the number of lower picks that have become very good players for them.  At the moment, they

have 15 of their own draft pick playing on the team.  Next year, they will likely have Luke Hughes and

Alexander Holtz joining the team.  Can you imagine?  Those kids are growing up and developing together,

so they will likely be a tight and loyal group.  Their SC window will be open for a long time, much like the

Black Hawks did.

Bruce has been close to infallible, but not starting Demko was the wrong move. Not just because Halak wasn't great, but because this team is clearly in a different headspace when playing in front of Demko. Continuing the Petey-Hoglander experiment also doesn't seem to be working because of Hoglander's lack of finish. Adding Chiasson to that line isn't exactly going to be the catalyst needed to get this team into the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Muttley said:

You got it, brother.  He should stick with his "The Athletic" endeavors and give the live voice a break. He's not the voice of logic, nowhere near it. 

Listening this morning, a couple of times the radio guys had to correct him, or argued with him, because he talks a lot, but kind of makes stuff up as he goes. Then he backtracks and looks even more unqualified. 

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I mentioned in my post above yours that I was very disappointed with the lack of visible on ice leadership last night. There was no emotion out there at all (other than Miller breaking his stick at the bench after the 4th goal). That tells me we lack leadership  on ice to demonstrate how we all need to play to be successful. We  need that guy that says "follow me" and won't accept anything less from his teammates.

I will add that Miller breaking his stick doesn't achieve anything in terms of leading the team.

That's just frustration, not leadership.

True leader will go out there and either score a goal, put in a hard working shift, or make a momentum changing hit.

We need better leaders than the ones that are wearing the C and A right now (Horvat, Miller, OEL).

BB says putting in Halak was the right thing to do? 
so now he’s prioritizing a players’ feelings over the importance of winning?

sometimes players need to sacrifice fir the good of the team. Weak decision on the part of BB when you’re trying to make the playoffs. 
move JK bring up Martin, Martin is hungry for the NHL, JK has been there done that. 

28 minutes ago, PuckTruckCanuck said:

BB says putting in Halak was the right thing to do? 
so now he’s prioritizing a players’ feelings over the importance of winning?

sometimes players need to sacrifice fir the good of the team. Weak decision on the part of BB when you’re trying to make the playoffs. 
move JK bring up Martin, Martin is hungry for the NHL, JK has been there done that. 

I mean, you don't want to risk injury to Demko because that's end of the season for us.

We are going to lose some games and yeah it sucks it came at the hands of the lowly Devils but it happened. Just gotta regroup and find a way to get two more wins on this trip. 

14 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I wonder if Halak feels bad of his performance considering this is the game where he collects another 1.25 million and adding to the team's cap hit ?

Yes the Canucks defence were bad, but still he isn't not playing good hockey. I really don't get why they didn't try to trade him before the bonus and put in Martin. They could have used that money instead of bring in another defenceman. 

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

After beating the Leafs, Flames and Rangers, but getting rolled by the Ducks, Isles and Devils I very confused by this group.  We seem to be able get up for the big games, but really struggle with the winnable ones.  My bet is that Demko plays 24 of the last 27, with Martin getting the balance.  I think the Halak era is over here.

IF I were the Canucks coach, the number one concept I'd be pushing is keep your head even - no highs / no lows. They seem to think they don't have to work once they've won a few games against good teams. They seem to forget that Demko bails them out in the 1st period on many games, and they can't cruise against any team. 

I really hope they get rid of Halak, but now they've wasted 1.25 million to send him elsewhere. Martin should have been kept on the team and Halak demoted back when Martin played.