The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Mar. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

56 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Very true and very sad, if this is the case.... 

There is no excuse for not working as hard as you can ay all times, regardless of who the manager is...

If players have that in them, they should be traded, no matter how they look now. At some stage they'll throw Bruce under a bus as well, in this is the case...

Leopards rarely change their spots...

Exactly, some people here don't hold the players accountable all who played poorly as a group to begin the season. They just stick their head in the sand and pretend it was all on Green, yet we see the same issues now and then 30 games into a new coach as well.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

I don't know, Garret is awful, if it's not fans here rioting making all us Vancouver fans look like complete idiots, then Vancouver media who is absolutely bush league at best proves we have the worst fans, media, and commentator's arguably in the whole league. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some good fans out there but the rest of it, media and commentator's are useless as our government and city hall..  

Meh, it's our lot in life as a Canucks fan but whatever. 

WUT????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly, some people here don't hold the players accountable all who played poorly as a group to begin the season. They just stick their head in the sand and pretend it was all on Green, yet we see the same issues now and then 30 games into a new coach as well.

I don't know. Under Green the team looked confused and timid. Green had a passive system that no hockey player wants to play. It's in a hockey players DNA to go down swinging, especially a pro. Green was a twit who only looked passable as an NHL coach because of Demko. The only way Green coaches again in the NHL is if he has some success in the minors. You could argue he hadn't had much success in the minors even before his stint with the canucks. He was horrible. He had nice hair, that's about it.

Edited by rekker
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

I don't know, Garret is awful, if it's not fans here rioting making all us Vancouver fans look like complete idiots, then Vancouver media who is absolutely bush league at best proves we have the worst fans, media, and commentator's arguably in the whole league. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some good fans out there but the rest of it, media and commentator's are useless as our government and city hall..  

Meh, it's our lot in life as a Canucks fan but whatever. 

I love Cheech. He's a homer, but I love his homersm. He's a gem.

Just now, rekker said:

I don't know. Under Green the team looked confused and timid. Green had a passive system that no hockey player wants to play. It's in a hockey players DNA to go down swinging, especially a pro. Green was a twit who only looked passable as an NHL coach because of Demko. The only way Green coaches again in the NHL is if he has some success in the minors. You could argue he hasn't had much success in the minors even before his stint with the canucks. He was horrible. He had nice hair, that's about it.

So none of the early season fiasco is on the players at all? :unsure:

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

One of the players I'd be absolutely infuriated about if we trade him is Garland. He's EVERYTHING that we're trying to be about, and he's on an excellent contract. I'll need therapy if he gets traded.

Yea it makes no sense. Every cup contender has a small feisty skilled player like him.

If we trade him we’ll just have to replace him in the future, likely for a higher cost.

If we’re trading a player it’s because their contract will be too expensive or doesn’t bring enough value. His brings a ton of value.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea it makes no sense. Every cup contender has a small feisty skilled player like him.

If we trade him we’ll just have to replace him in the future, likely for a higher cost.

If we’re trading a player it’s because their contract will be too expensive or doesn’t bring enough value. His brings a ton of value.

For the smallest guy on the team, he’s probably the best board battler and nitty gritty forward on this team. He plays a big game. 

They need to park Garland alongside Petey. Not being wasted on the third line.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Yeah I can only say I pity all the fans in Vancouver, who have to listen to such often negative reporting about the local team... 

An NHL team should be something to be proud of, not to be belittling...

I really don't get why this is such an issue

Vancouver think everything here is special

Best fans in the world (other teams have good fans too)

Classiest franchise (other franchises are classy too)

Best /worst media (what about Brookie in NY, or Mathews chirping some dumb question from TO media last week, it happens all over)

Best/Worst colour guy ( Potvin , previously mentioned, the guys in Boston, I swear they think the Bruins are the cleanest/most hard done by  team in the league) 

I like Cheech and Shorty. Are they the best? IDK and I don't care, at least they aren't Potvin or those clowns in Boston.

I did enjoy last season when we got the local guys for all the road games,

not because I don't like Cheech and Shorty, but because it was a nice change

Vancouver is just a town, not the nicest and the prettiest, but nice enough

The Canucks are our team, not the classiest, but at least they aren't owned by Russian oligarchs

Our fans are smart, and they are stupid,  they are passionate, and band wagon jumpers, and they whine about Edmonton and Toronto too much, or maybe not enough

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So none of the early season fiasco is on the players at all? :unsure:

I suppose it's impossible to quantify. But at the least, I put the vast majority of the blame on Green and Baumer for the first half of the season. I do.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I suppose it's impossible to quantify. But at the least, I put the vast majority of the blame on Green and Baumer for the first half of the season. I do.

Hmmmm, I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Cheers.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

We can’t retain everyone and expect different results. I find it funny that everyone is just ok barely scraping by. Yes they have played ok since Boudreau took over but remember we have Demko and he covers a lot of warts. I still don’t think we have an identity and they need to get a lot faster in the top 9. Things won’t change much until then so this idea we can just make little changes and expect different results with this core doesn’t make sense. Need to think long term here. We need cap space. Retaining everyone doesn’t solve that problem.

Well, the 4th line isn’t the problem. You said it yourself, it’s the top 9. You can keep the 4th line and still fix the top 9, ie trade Boeser. Get rid of Dickenson, Chiasson, etc. 4th line is the one thing that is working well and should be kept together

Edited by arsenalian

57 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The bigger issue is how Bruce and Allvyn deals with it...

I think Allwyn (JR) and Bruce are old foxes, and they will cut the head off the snake, if it becomes an issue. They have no emotional investments in this team, like the old Management group and fans alike... And it will be the right thing to do. Can not have the inmates run the asylum...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

This is a great stat to see. Bouncing back after losses is exactly the type of $&!# that gets you into the playoffs.

Lots of interesting stats emerge after some digging.  Loved this one ....

Canucks are 12 - 1 - 2 in games where their pre game meal is chicken cacciatore

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lmm said:

I really don't get why this is such an issue

Vancouver think everything here is special

Best fans in the world (other teams have good fans too)

Classiest franchise (other franchises are classy too)

Best /worst media (what about Brookie in NY, or Mathews chirping some dumb question from TO media last week, it happens all over)

Best/Worst colour guy ( Potvin , previously mentioned, the guys in Boston, I swear they think the Bruins are the cleanest/most hard done by  team in the league) 

I like Cheech and Shorty. Are they the best? IDK and I don't care, at least they aren't Potvin or those clowns in Boston.

I did enjoy last season when we got the local guys for all the road games,

not because I don't like Cheech and Shorty, but because it was a nice change

Vancouver is just a town, not the nicest and the prettiest, but nice enough

The Canucks are our team, not the classiest, but at least they aren't owned by Russian oligarchs

Our fans are smart, and they are stupid,  they are passionate, and band wagon jumpers, and they whine about Edmonton and Toronto too much, or maybe not enough

Totally agree. We are nothing special but like every other franchise in our fandom, regardless of location, continent or sport....

But Vancouver is our nick of the woods (and I'm not even a Vancouverite..), and to us its special...

And as such the local press, while of course being able to hold the team accountable, should also be optimistic and supportive of the team and everything around it... There is enough negativity around created by fans, which is normal. The local press doesn't need to add fuel to the flames, by producing unsubstantiated claims and stories... 

It almost feels as if they see it as their duty to create negativity in order to sell.... 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Lots of interesting stats emerge after some digging.  Loved this one ....

Canucks are 12 - 1 - 2 in games where their pre game meal is chicken cacciatore

Happy Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Guess chicken it is then....:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The bigger issue is how Bruce and Allvyn deals with it...

I think Allwyn (JR) and Bruce are old foxes, and they will cut the head off the snake, if it becomes an issue. They have no emotional investments in this team, like the old Management group and fans alike... And it will be the right thing to do. Can not have the inmates run the asylum...

Yeah I just find it odd how some people don't think the players had anything at all to do with the bad start. Where I'm from the players are the ones playing the game and have the most influence on winning and losing games. They share the brunt of the responsibility. The coaches and management all play big parts too but I wouldn't want anything to do with any player happy with their performance after an 8-15-2 start, besides maybe Demko. 

Thankfully I don't think any of the players are happy their lack of quality play during that period. Like some fans on here lol. I do think some experience/and or the right chemistry is missing in the dressing room and on the ice but I'm hopeful it will be addressed by Allvin and co..

I sure hope the players blame themselves for that ugly game and not Green lol. That's ridiculous. :lol:

• Cheers 1