The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Mar. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Great game and good effort esepecilly in the 3rd.   

What stood out for me: 

1. Pearson played a solid game tonight
  2. Fourth line were the energy bunnies in this game.
  3. OEL had another tough game tonight
  4. Too many odd man rushes (mainly related to item 3 - above)
  5. Brock Boeser's blind pass to allow that TO Goal was ............!  (Another reason that he'll likely be gone in two weeks)
  6. Demko "The Man" !
  7. Team never gave up!
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Wasn't a good night for Quinn Hughes... looked like the Quinn of last season... not good for Schenn either.

Miller/Boeser/Pearson line put up lots of points but stunk it out defensively...

Horvat line was our best, Chiasson somehows seems to have found a fit with Bo and Podz... still could be replaced.

Really liking Podkolzin's two way play... some excellent backchecks, good plays in the D-Zone.  And he is continuing to play hard in a forechecking role... he could have had a goal easily tonight.

Not particularly inspiring from the Pettersson/Garland/Hoglander line, but they didn't give away any goals and Pettersson ended up setting up a nice empty netter.

Lets see what happens with Montreal... they are on fire right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

That Leafs team has a powerhouse offense though.... they would be tough to beat if they had a goalie like Demko who could bail them out.

Would people here agree Demko + Miller for Matthews (if he agrees on an extension if the contract expires)?

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Would people here agree Demko + Miller for Matthews (if he agrees on an extension if the contract expires)?

It’s rare to find a franchise goalie like demko.  He’s elite.   Miller brings a whole other level of leadership, toughness, clutch scoring. 

matthews on the other hand is generational.   

I would pass.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Gutsy win by the boys. No matter if we make the playoffs or not they’re definitely fun to watch. I love the resilience in this squad previous teams would have rolled over. J.T.Miller is a leader and there’s no way we can replace what he brings night in and night out. He’s the heart of the team and I’d love to see him stay. 

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, sassbs said:

It’s rare to find a franchise goalie like demko.  He’s elite.   Miller brings a whole other level of leadership, toughness, clutch scoring. 

matthews on the other hand is generational.   

I would pass.

Never! I think some may underestimate the impact of a elite goaltender. Leafs won’t make it past the first round with leaky soup boy . Demko on the other hand I believe will challenge Luongo for top goaltender in Canucks history. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It's ridiculous how hes joining the record books in his very first seasons.

The realization Quinn Hughes plays for the Canucks is a fact that never fails to bring me joy.

Gonna go into the record books as one of the top defenseman in Canucks history. Never in history has a defenseman been as good as Quinn to start their career. Definitely a home run. In the rangers series in 94 I strongly feel that it was Leetch that was unstoppable. Now we have a comparable on our team it feels nice. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Doesnt even look like the same team. Systems all different. 

Weird too how all those too many men on the ice penalties disappeared once our coaching staff was overhauled. Makes you wonder just how asleep at the wheel the coaches were. 

Funny you should mention that, as I was thinking that same thing during the game....They seemed to have disappeared...

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Hey, when things are going good, Miller is great and shows certain leadership attributes. But do folks forget just how sulky and immature his act was when things were BAD? Bo is a rock no matter what. Folks are so damn fickle. Here we are perhaps about to make a Cinderella run to the playoffs but folks on the radio are talking about how J.T. should be captain over Bo. Only in Vancouver. Bruce’s lack of tact in his interviews only fuels it.

Agrees Bo is a Rockstar....

Not so sure about fuelling it.... may also be ensuring certain suitors for Miller knows, he will cost a Kings ransom and then some, as he is up there with the hottest in the NHL right now...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Good night everyone.... This has been a game well worth staying up for... fabulous...

Very cool ... Canucks are really smoking since the start of December.   Seriously hope we make the playoffs - will be a season we won't forget, regardless of what happens in the postseason...who knows maybe that will also be something we never forget too.   With a nice home game stand before the TDL, teams got their destiny in their own hands.   Sure would be sweet to knock the Oilers out too.   Not to get too ahead of ourselves.   Either way i'm proud of these guys - it's an easy team to like. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, DJB said:

Canucks would be so much better if they did not struggle so much trying to clear the puck out of their zone. I hate when they get hemmed in for minutes at a time. 
Thought Demko was going to keel over a few times. 

To take a page out of Greens book - "that's a good team over there"  .... thankfully we have a great goalie and some guys who can handle that maintained pressure as well.    Several of our guys including our Chaos Giraffe, made some solid plays around the net to keep those maple leaf bums from scoring.   Was tense for sure....I remember when Luongo first arrived, for a couple seasons it was a lot like that too.    Demko reminded me a little of Grant Furh last night ... money goalie late in the game when ahead and the pressure was red hot... ability to shut the door.    Demko is the main reason why tanking is no longer a viable option for the team.    Might as well enjoy it! 

• Cheers 2

Just now, IBatch said:

Very cool ... Canucks are really smoking since the start of December.   Seriously hope we make the playoffs - will be a season we won't forget, regardless of what happens in the postseason...who knows maybe that will also be something we never forget too.   With a nice home game stand before the TDL, teams got their destiny in their own hands.   Sure would be sweet to knock the Oilers out too.   Not to get too ahead of ourselves.   Either way i'm proud of these guys - it's an easy team to like. 

Absolutely... It has me remembering the good times during the Sedins and Keslers leadership... The never say die attitude is right there. Sure they get smoked now and again, but the ability to bounce back is there for all to see... 

This was not what why expected during the dark days in November, when it looked like a beaten team...For all the bashing of Benning there is on these boards, Bruce coming in has shown, the team assembled by Benning has it in them to be a play offs team, hopefully they reach it as they'll be coming in smoking hot... 

And yes it is an easy team to like... All in it together, big or small, good or bad... (shown by Miller on the bench after Brocks horrendous pass in front of his own goal)...

and did I mention it, they smoked Toronto...  

Slept like baby :)

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1