The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Mar. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

If Miller's response to losing is showing up every game, playing harder, and being our top forward as a result then that kind of screams that he hates losing more than others. At the very least it's easy to say that Miller has the best response to losing.

Some guys really, really hate losing.

Miller really hates losing. But he's found another gear since Boudreau, I think that element of 'there's hope in winning' - Far from out of it now... that really helps Miller out too. Fire-y emotional guy. A team has to have a guy or two like that.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Haha true... It JT Miller signs in Arizona i might have a fit /turn on him

He's Totally entitled to do that though lol

Oh puke, imagine JT and Mustache boy signing there. Haha, gross. The one thing I wonder is if he'd want to sign at all around his home state Ohio. Maybe he has family there although East Palestine is a long way from Columbus. Closer to Pittsburgh actually. Maybe something like that drives his decision.

Either way it's not to hard to envision most teams competing soon if they play their cards right. Teams like Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, LA, Ana, are acquiring more and more young talent where they might be able to attract a couple big UFA's and become contenders soon. It all depends on the vision sold to the player and what they want to believe. I think with JT being so dominant he will have lots of good offers of money and success. We'll see how serious he is about winning when he signs on the dotted line.

28 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

When you have one clear obvious player who is leading his team into the fight, I personally think it's safe to say, at the very least, that he has the best response to losing, which can also be interpreted as he hates losing more. Granted, no one likes to lose, but someone's response to losing says a lot. 

The story behind Miller's epic pre-game hype for Canucks teammates | Offside

I don't think that's the context of that picture

As for a change of topic …

ive been thinking about why not try harmonic with OEL ?

eveeyone saying that OELs offense has dropped because he’s playing with Myers ( focusing more on staying back and letting Myers roam up the ice )

if it works with Hughes/Schenn why wouldn’t it work with OEL/Hamonic?

I know what people will bring up is having a 6M$ defencemen on the 3rd pair but whatever it takes to help us win games right ?

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Hamonic

Hunt/Poolman - Myers 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think that's the context of that picture

Miller firing up the team? The point is that no one else shows the fire that he does, which is why he's often cited as the one to lead the team into the fight because he wants to win so badly, rather than accepting losing and having what Bruce called the woe-is-me mentality. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Miller firing up the team? The point is that no one else shows the fire that he does, which is why he's often cited as the one to lead the team into the fight because he wants to win so badly, rather than accepting losing and having what Bruce called the woe-is-me mentality. 

sorry, I just don't see him as this great leader he's made out to be.  He's great when things are going well, but when things aren't going well he's a pouty ball of negative energy......the best leaders are at their best when times are bad, not when times are good.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

sorry, I just don't see him as this great leader he's made out to be.  He's great when things are going well, but when things aren't going well he's a pouty ball of negative energy......the best leaders are at their best when times are bad, not when times are good.

Or, maybe his fire when things aren't going well is what ignites the team, as he shows that losing and the woe-is-me mentality are not experiences you give into.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

Or, maybe his fire when things aren't going well is what ignites the team, as he shows that losing and the woe-is-me mentality are not experiences you give into.

c'mon, we've all seen what he does when he's down.  To say he isn't like that is pointless.  I just don't find him to be this great leader that many mythologize him into

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

c'mon, we've all seen what he does when he's down.  To say he isn't like that is pointless.  I just don't find him to be this great leader that many mythologize him into

We've seen fire. Only the team and coaching staff know whether he's pouty or a leader, but what we do know is that the coach, and many others, see it differently than you do. 

44 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

When you look at the state of the team and his response compared to his teammates - i.e. the way he gets fired up, comes in clutch with producing points, first goal of the game, OT winners, etc - what do you call that, and what do you call the "woe is me mentality" in the rest?

Good post jester!

the “woe is me mentality “ cares..   but they’ll console each other, talk about it, make each other feel good again to be ready for the next game.  .. because they care, and they care about each other.  

It’s below the line to what’s needed in a game like hockey.

Hockey is, One of the true , and last “warrior” sports, played with a weapon, on metal edges that can quickly slice a jugular open, our ruin / cripple a player in physical contact at very high speed, played on a surface , and  between boards that feel like concrete.

(“weapon” I keep a wooden hockey stick behind my door for intruders :) , nasty the pain you can inflict so quickly from a safe distance )

Players with emotion play above that line,  it’s a driver that can help them focus and bring out their best game.

They challenge themselves and others with it..

it readies them to face any opposition to bring out there best attributes.

The difference between caring , and playing emotionally charged can be a big factor in winning or losing.

I didn’t see much of the vs Leafs game unfortunately, ..  but I caught a moment where Miller was talking to Boeser on the bench after Boeser had given away a puck for a goal.

I didn’t see Miller “consoling” Boeser..  I saw Miller telling him stuff,  emotionally, and trying to Jack him up with it.

I saw Boeser listening to him,.  and taking in the words, and absorbing that “charge” to gear and amp his game up.

Over these next 7 games , I think we’re going to see the best out of Boeser,.  I think Miller has turned a motivation key in Boesers game, that will bring out a more motivational and emotional Boeser.

If that has happened,  I will change my thoughts on trading Boeser before RFA.

I only wish Horvat could match, or learn from Millers intensity..   when you have a group of players playing like Miller,.  It’s not only the best hockey, it’s fun for everyone.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sounds like we need a Psychiatrist as a Captain Stawnzy..   Bo never has much to say,  try’s, but never comes unglued..  never anything to follow there really.

3 hours ago, Muttley said:

I certainly know a coach who late in the tenure of the ever growing cheeks, unabashed, heard it loud (very loud) from one of his players.  I think the words

were; "We don't know what we're doing!  I think that falls under the realm of not accepting losing.

by JT Miller

Just to clarify - I love JT Miller (including his vocalness) and want us to re-sign him. I just think that because another player is not as vocal or as emotional (i.e., a personality trait) doesn't mean that that said player does not hate losing. Steph Curry seems like he's always smiling even when his team loses, and that may rub those who don't know him well enough the wrong way, but people who know him know that he's one major, competitive #@!#$!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Just to clarify - I love JT Miller (including his vocalness) and want us to re-sign him. I just think that because another player is not as vocal or as emotional (i.e., a personality trait) doesn't mean that that said player does not hate losing. Steph Curry seems like he's always smiling even when his team loses, and that may rub those who don't know him well enough the wrong way, but people who know him know that he's one major, competitive #@!#$!

Exactly what I was trying to say. If you want a guy that's vocal and yelling and wearing his heart on your sleeve Miller is definitely right up there in visuals. It doesn't mean that guys who are quieter or don't scream and shout every play don't want to win. Looks at the Sedin's, Yzerman, Sakic, Selanne, Datsyuk, Lidstrom. Bourque, Lemieux. I don't think these guys liked losing anymore than Miller just because they were more reserved.

I think we can safely say Miller is super competitive and he wants to win badly. That much is for sure. I don't think it matters much more than that. Whether he's a good leader or not is a different story entirely. Leadership or Captaincy is far more than getting ramped up during the games although that should/could be a (big) part of it.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1