The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok.................here we go!

Yes, it was a bad start....................but the Canucks out played them, more than they out played us...........

But, we did score 2 goals, which is good against the 2 time Stanley Cup Champions...........just saying

Add to that the non - calls, and really it wasn't that bad a game.........

Now, let us talk about the elephant in the room..................

Hamonic and Hughes were on for both goals, and Hamonic made some dumb plays after that as well.

IMO, I would like to see Boeser moved for  a defensive #2 RHD, even if that includes a moving additional assets to do it.

And it is not because he is a bad player, it is because there are no real playmakers on this team outside of Hughes

and he is not a generator................he is pure shooter, and does not fit BB system well.

Now, Lammikko on the other hand is just impressing me more and more, but that is another issue.

Yes. 
OEL and Huggy are an excellent one/two combo on the left-hand side. I know Myers gets bashed around here pretty hard but I still feel he’s a fine second pairing right hander. We need that second RHD to fill out the top four.

Hammer and Schenner are out if their depths in the top 4. 

I think we all agree that of all our current top six forwards Brock is probably the most replaceable or at least the one player we could probably get by without having in the lineup.

Not saying he is invaluable.

Let’s be clear here. letting a 25 year old sniper/natural goal score that you drafted get away is not a reasonable or easy thing to do. He is a good solid player and most teams would want the guy in their line up. He is simply looking like the most expendable right now and we aren’t going anywhere until we start to defend and move the puck better. 

Edited by bad alice french
  • Cheers 1

Canucks actually played well after Demko let in those first two. Problem is the lack of quality shots on net. Good on Miller, but they seem to just shoot straight at the goalie too much. 
Another thing tonight was too much time getting hemmed in on the boards around Demko. 
I saw Bo make one good play all game and Boeser be way too soft. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Rules are rules. No penalty on a follow through.  

And what goal?    The one that was scored after the whistle?    That’s not a goal.   
Quick whistle and he should have seen it, but the whistle went.    No goal

Ok so explain Motte getting a high sticking penalty after getting his stick slashed out of his hands by Lybushkin and bouncing up off the ice and hitting Chychrun in the face? Why didn’t that get reviewed?

21 minutes ago, DJB said:

Canucks actually played well after Demko let in those first two. Problem is the lack of quality shots on net. Good on Miller, but they seem to just shoot straight at the goalie too much. 
Another thing tonight was too much time getting hemmed in on the boards around Demko. 
I saw Bo make one good play all game and Boeser be way too soft. 

Let’s give some credit to Bo. He was a beast in face-offs tonight at 16 + 8, the only guy with a winning %.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Let’s give some credit to Bo. He was a beast in face-offs tonight at 16 + 8, the only guy with a winning %.

He's even been scoring of late, dude could win every faceoff and folks would still find a reason to dump on him

It's like how people were ripping on Pettersson earlier this season 

• Cheers 4

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's even been scoring of late, dude could win every faceoff and folks would still find a reason to dump on him

It's like how people were ripping on Pettersson earlier this season 

Whenever one player busts out of their slump it’s onto the next player with these people. Same thing with the trade rumours. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

Miller and Garland did everything they could. Bo and Brock invisible. With Petey already out, we needed them offensively.

That's why both of them are likely on JR's "EXPENDABLE" list.    At this point only only Demko, QH and EP40 are safe from the axe.  

Edited by RU SERIOUS

5 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

Brutal start cost us again. Lightning were dead tired after the 1st.  Vasilevsky went demko on us too. 

Agree, I was at the game and after the later part of the 1st until games end, the Canucks outplayed them IMO.   Our defence was less than adequate on both those Tampa goals and shows how much we need to upgrade on the backend.   We all know Hunt is "a gonner" after this season and I'm having serious doubts about Myers and especialy Hamonic and wouldn't be surprised if they are both gone after this season.   In games like this where we are playing highly talented teams, you can really start to see where our weaknesses are and where the Mgmt needs to make changes.  I highly doubt that our entire new Mgmt crew does not see what we are seeing and will begin to address the obvious over next several months and into the future.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Cluminati* said:

So true…..

I have to completely disagree with Wyatt's comment.  Being there, I can say that the crowd erupted with "Ref you suck" chants and alot of other 4 letter words after that bad call - I can't repeat on here - and lit the crowd up for the rest of the game.   People in the upper bowls were P'd off after that and rode the ref's hard throughout the rest of the game.    Atmosphere in the building was good tonight!

• Cheers 1

i think we should just give up on ever winning a cup since every game we win or lose all we complain about is the reffing.. i mean there's nothing have changed ever since we first entered the league. we either complain about powerplays mis calls or whatever.. the avg in the league for powerplays is 170.. the canucks have 191 powerplays but every game all i read about after a lost is the ref is one sided and costing us the game.. i mean the ref's been against us ever since we first entered the league.. so by that logic we'll never win a cup. let's just complain about the reffing and ignore the fact the canucks came out FLAT again.. let's just ignore the fact that in the last 13 14 games or so we came out flat in the first period or more in at least half if not more of those games.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think we should just give up on ever winning a cup since every game we win or lose all we complain about is the reffing.. i mean there's nothing have changed ever since we first entered the league. we either complain about powerplays mis calls or whatever.. the avg in the league for powerplays is 170.. the canucks have 191 powerplays but every game all i read about after a lost is the ref is one sided and costing us the game.. i mean the ref's been against us ever since we first entered the league.. so by that logic we'll never win a cup. let's just complain about the reffing and ignore the fact the canucks came out FLAT again.. let's just ignore the fact that in the last 13 14 games or so we came out flat in the first period or more in at least half if not more of those games.

Quite a few people have already acknowledged that the Canucks had a slow start. There's been some questions, however, about how badly the team wants the 2 points over Tampa Bay. For example, the PPs that we did have, especially the end, involved some bad passing. So on one hand, the Canucks did lose because of "bad bounces". It's also true that the Canucks were screwed on the PP, perhaps they were waiting for an "even up" call, rather than trying to earn one. Lastly, aside from Miller, Horvat, and Motte, was there anyone else that did anything impactful? There's more to this than reffing, but we can't ignore the reffing entirely.

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Man, it's easy to forget just how dominant Henrik was that season 

For some maybe. I always thought it was super interesting the best years they had respectively where the years when one of them was Injured.  

Which thankfully didnt happen often with the amount of punishment they took along the boards they must have had adamantium skeletons. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe goofing around playing soccer before the game should be re-examined…

Honestly I would be looking at everything. It’s inexplicable to be so consistently poor out of the gate.

Yes maybe this instead? 200.gif

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Quite a few people have already acknowledged that the Canucks had a slow start. There's been some questions, however, about how badly the team wants the 2 points over Tampa Bay. For example, the PPs that we did have, especially the end, involved some bad passing. So on one hand, the Canucks did lose because of "bad bounces". It's also true that the Canucks were screwed on the PP, perhaps they were waiting for an "even up" call, rather than trying to earn one. Lastly, aside from Miller, Horvat, and Motte, was there anyone else that did anything impactful? There's more to this than reffing, but we can't ignore the reffing entirely.

understandable but for this team to be successful they need to bring their game from the start for a full 60min.. they can't rely on bounes or ref. they ain't good enough like the other top teams to just switch it on halfway thru the game. with the canucks #2 in the league for most powerplays perhaps the league thinks the canucks are getting too much powerplay whether its a soft call or not.. hence they ain't getting as much calls now.. they are well above the league average in powerplays so chances are they won't get as much calls down the stretch.. like recently i noticed the canucks for stretches only have 1-2 powerplays per game.. yet they are still #2 in the league in powerplays opportunity.. goes to show how much calls the canucks been getting early on in the season and completely wasted it with their absymal powerplay under king lol.

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We did solve him once.

This is what Demko has done to other teams a lot this season.

Shouldn’t be surprised when a Vezina goalie plays like a Vezina goalie.

Yea - definitely overlooked point. Vasy came to play and made a number of game saving saves for them, many goalies would've let in a hat trick from Miller alone last night

Definitely a couple frustrating calls as well, I don't complain about reffing too much but the Garland ghost call to give off-setting minors instead of giving McDonagh a holding call, and the whistle on a live puck that led to a goal were both frustrating.

Overall, the team needs better starts. But their resiliency in games has been great to watch; that didn't really exist under Green (or Desjardins or Torts) except for the one bubble run.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1