The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks and Laffs (Liljegren)

Liljegren was originally drafted 17th overall in the 2017 draft (Petey was #5). He's a 6' 192lb RHD and has finally been getting reasonable playing time after two years of flipflopping between the NHL/AHL. He sports a goal and fifteen assists in 43 games this season. 

Spoiler

A skilled offensive defenseman with excellent skating skills. The way he combines his speed with strong puck handling skills makes him a quite spectacular player to watch. Decision making is at times a bit questionable and there is some room for improvement when it comes to his defensive game. If he puts everything together, he should become a high scoring defenseman thanks to his hockey sense, quick release and strong passing game. (EP 2017)

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/224910/timothy-liljegren 

Not impossible that this can be true, but it's kind of a weird statement.   Not sure if he's recycling an old source or rumors, but he's saying it like the Canucks interest hasn't changed since the last regime.  Can both the previous regime and the current one likes Liljegren, of course, but seems improbable still.   The Canucks didn't just fire the GM, they completely overhauled their front office, so I'm a little perplexed about that statement, like if their weren't any interruption in negotiation between JB and JR.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

LIljegren is mediocre at best.  If we're targeting a swedish defenseman...I kinda like that Dahlin kid in Buffalo

He's a good skater, I think paired with OEL for training wheels and we might get something good here. I think the value is right, 22 RHD prospect for Motte seems fair to me. I'd prefer Cal Foote, but would be OK with Liljegren. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

He's a good skater, I think paired with OEL for training wheels and we might get something good here. I think the value is right, 22 RHD prospect for Motte seems fair to me. I'd prefer Cal Foote, but would be OK with Liljegren. 

I'd be far mroe ok with Liljegren over Marino, but if Foote is available that's the route I take all day long.  Just don't see how this really gets done though and I sure don't want to lose Garland or Boeser for Liljegren and a later pick

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Yes, for Motte is what I was thinking of too. I would not touch a trade with Garland for TL, though.

• Vintage 3

Just now, Warhippy said:

I'd be far mroe ok with Liljegren over Marino, but if Foote is available that's the route I take all day long.

Don't know enough about Marino, I keep seeing Tanev comp's but don't know if thats just yap or really accurate. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Yes, for Motte is what I was thinking of too. I would not touch a trade with Garland for TL, though.

the Garland deal I want to see is for Severson. Probably no chance of that tho. 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Garland for Liljegren + Robertson?

Laffs get middle 6 scoring winger on a good cap hit.  Canucks get 2 young (ready for NHL) prospects.

Toronto doesn't have the cap space to add a 5M winger.  Motte is apparently the player that interests them.

Even if we use him as an acquired assets to flip now or later, that's a solid move if we can swing it for a pending UFA.

Maybe Colorado is inclined to include Barron or the Rangers Schneider, if we can send them Liljegren back....

I remember when Liljegren was in convo for #1 overall the summer before his draft year. Then he had a unimpressive follow up campaign and he dropped outside of the top 10 on almost every mock draft. I remember him being a player I really wanted, for no reason other that speculations of him going 1st and seeing him drop :lol: Although that was a huge miss by me, I still remember screaming for Chychrun in his draft because of the same reason. He was slated 1st overall the year before his draft and then he had a back? injury that pushed him outside of the top 10 as well. I swear to god I could be a really good scout just based off of sports writers speculation and point watching