The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks and Laffs (Liljegren)

If we can trade Motte or Pearson for Liljegren then I think you do it.  Obviously Liljegren has taken a sharp plunge since being in consideration for #1 overall, but it’s a small risk worth taking.

You’d have to think OEL as a mentor could really boost his ability, unless he has an inability to learn like Jake.  With D taking longer to get to their prime, feels like the right risk to take with our timeline.

Seems like a fairly objective write-up on Liljegren especially because it’s not specifically based on the Leafs moving him:

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2022/03/13/evaluating-timothy-liljegrens-play-in-his-first-full-nhl-season/

Overall this could be a good overall situation. We have vet F and D that are good playoff depth (Not fitting our timeline) and Liljegren is an imperfect D that likely needs more coaching and mentorship to become a regular and maybe more.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I don’t know anything about Liljegren so that is up to Allvin and JR to judge. 

Rathbone is left. 
Benning got OEL on a long contract so we only have third pair stay at home LD left for years to come. 

I saw a comparision between Pouliot and Liljegren.

Was Pouliot ever a plus player with the Canucks?

Liljegren is +9 and is 22. R. Dahlin has struggled also so people on here talked negatively  about him. 

Liljegren has five years on him to get to the best of him.  

I rather have young players to mold than aging players Allvin need to buy walkers to… 

While we all like to mould young players, big question would be, who takes Myers role on the team?

There is zero chance, even if he turns out fine, that Liljegren is ready or even close to able to take the load that Myers does...

Thus we'd need to spend the cap savings on another Dman to replace Myers...

Alternatively it would spell rebuild, and then there would be no point In keeping Miler in the first place.

Or at least that is how it looks from my window... :)

34 minutes ago, spook007 said:

While we all like to mould young players, big question would be, who takes Myers role on the team?

There is zero chance, even if he turns out fine, that Liljegren is ready or even close to able to take the load that Myers does...

Thus we'd need to spend the cap savings on another Dman to replace Myers...

Alternatively it would spell rebuild, and then there would be no point In keeping Miler in the first place.

Or at least that is how it looks from my window... :)

Well, someone said a OEL is babysitting him and if it is truth we have to get rid.

Regarding the bit about Myers makes our players more safe or something like that I call it bull.

Our players will be crushed because we don’t have any depth.

Take out Hughes and we have a hard time gettin the puck in Ozone.

Demko, Miller… It’s a thin roster and you guys  want to compete with a lot of injuries instead.

• Like 1

Well, someone said a OEL is babysitting him and if it is truth we have to get rid.

Regarding the bit about Myers makes our players more safe or something like that I call it bull.

Our players will be crushed because we don’t have any depth.

Take out Hughes and we have a hard time gettin the puck in Ozone.

Demko, Miller… It’s a thin roster and you guys  want to compete with a lot of injuries instead.

OEL babysitting Myers? Are you actually watching the games..

As for your second part, do you think taking Myers out of the line up, will reduce the amount of injuries we have?

Sorry, but who cares, if we can even defend...

Myers is actually, together with Schenn, Burroughs and Hamonic the ones that can hurt the opposition... I don't know if you saw our bubble run, but he could take the fight up in front of the crease...

If all we needed was to skate the puck out of the zone, Rathbone would be more than able, but he like Liljegren (apparently)|, struggles on the D side of things... Its all very well they can look flash, but if they can't defend its really irrelevant... Someone mentioned Pouliot... I hope for Liljegren himself, that he isn't that bad...

16 hours ago, MattWN. said:

You wouldn't last very long as GM then. If you pull $&!# like that, players aren't going to be in a hurry to sign here. Holding up your end of a contract is pretty important, and that would be a terrible optic. Moving forward, the value of giving a NMC/NTC would be null. 

Agree to disagree on your point. If it was Benning asking him to waive or he'd sit then I agree, but since we have a new GM and are in a tight playoff race and our player isn't getting results he was brought in for I don't think anyone would sour on the idea of him sitting to force anything... Contract obligations work both ways and I'd like to think players and agents under stand this. Without results you don't get playing time...

22 minutes ago, spook007 said:

OEL babysitting Myers? Are you actually watching the games..

As for your second part, do you think taking Myers out of the line up, will reduce the amount of injuries we have?

Sorry, but who cares, if we can even defend...

Myers is actually, together with Schenn, Burroughs and Hamonic the ones that can hurt the opposition... I don't know if you saw our bubble run, but he could take the fight up in front of the crease...

If all we needed was to skate the puck out of the zone, Rathbone would be more than able, but he like Liljegren (apparently)|, struggles on the D side of things... Its all very well they can look flash, but if they can't defend its really irrelevant... Someone mentioned Pouliot... I hope for Liljegren himself, that he isn't that bad...

Not as many as I want. They start between 01-04 AM so when I watch the games I have to plan a lot before. 

In the bubble run he had a lot of penalties. And I'm not worried of injuries in front of the crease. It' s when Hughes/Petey takes the puck forward. 

The problem here is we have no depth. Ok if one of our stars missing but when it is a bunch as can be in playoffs. Especially if we is taking one big team to dance. 

The Wilds in the bubble run was lightweight but after them it got bad to worse. 

Stecher was the one carrying the torch, not Myers. It's like when the Sedins got bullied and they put in goals for fun. 

The scars on this forum is very visible, shines dark red...  Ferland the most obvious case. 

So I believe we judge hockey in different ways. 

Edited by Timråfan

Not as many as I want. They start between 01-04 AM so when I watch the games I have to plan a lot before. 

In the bubble run he had a lot of penalties. And I'm not worried of injuries in front of the crease. It' s when Hughes/Petey takes the puck forward. 

The problem here is we have no depth. Ok if one of our stars missing but when it is a bunch as can be in playoffs. Especially if we is taking one big team to dance. 

The Wilds in the bubble run was lightweight but after them it got bad to worse. 

Stecher was the one carrying the torch, not Myers. It's like when the Sedins got bullied and they put in goals for fun. 

The scars on this forum is very visible, shines dark red...  Ferland the most obvious case. 

So I believe we judge hockey in different ways. 

Fair enough... I guess we do :)

My statement about Myers was not about getting injured in front of the goal, but the ability to clear the crease when heavy forwards park them selves there... 

All the slashing and bullying of our defenders are quickly reduced, when they get hammered into the boards or get a good bit of lumber... 

PS. I know the feeling off night hockey... For me its between midnight and 3am, mostly around 3am... still trying to see most of the games though.... :)

Edited by spook007

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Darren dreger said that the leafs might be scouting Schenn or Hamonic if he had to guess. I would be ok with this return on either of those guys. 

The Leafs just don't have anything we want.  Their young players and prospects are craperolla.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Seems like a fairly objective write-up on Liljegren especially because it’s not specifically based on the Leafs moving him:

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2022/03/13/evaluating-timothy-liljegrens-play-in-his-first-full-nhl-season/

Overall this could be a good overall situation. We have vet F and D that are good playoff depth (Not fitting our timeline) and Liljegren is an imperfect D that likely needs more coaching and mentorship to become a regular and maybe more.  

Great read, thanks for the post.  Sounds like Liljegren has been playing well.  Good offensively and off the rush but can struggle losing his man in the D zone and boxing out bigger forwards (they used a clip of Miller beating him to the net which I thought was interesting).  He started on the bottom pair but has since been playing top 4 according to that article.

From the article and the few clips in it, seems like the type of player we wanted in OJ.  Great skating and offensive awareness but needs to get better defensive positioning and to get stronger.  Though he is a highly sought after RHD. 

Seems like these issues can be coached out and grown out of with time.  Also looks like he'd fit in well with Bruce's system here as he's good at preventing zone entries and pinching down to keep the play in the o-zone.  Could really be a boon of a trade if/when he puts it all together.

I'd be happy to trade for him so long as it's more an outlying piece of the team that gets moved but would the Leafs want Poolman/Hamonic/Motte/Pearson?  I'm inclined to keep Motte.  Bigger risk sending a known valur in Garland and Leafs don't have cap room for Boeser.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Or you need to stream them the day after like I do (also living in Sweden).

30 minutes ago, J-P said:

Or you need to stream them the day after like I do (also living in Sweden).

For me it’s live only.

I only get excited when it’s live and I can interact in some way.

If I would analyse the game or certain players it’s a must to do as you do but I haven’t gone that far in my obsession yet. ::D

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

For me it’s live only.

I only get excited when it’s live and I can interact in some way.

If I would analyse the game or certain players it’s a must to do as you do but I haven’t gone that far in my obsession yet. ::D

Ha ha your presence in this forum says otherwise... Agree of course that live is the real thing, but the time difference makes it pretty much impossible to watch most games live. At least I get to skip the commercials...

• Cheers 1