The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Ben Chiarot to Panthers for Ty Smilanic, 2022 4th-round pick, 2023 1st-round pick

43 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Eye test means nothing if comes from a bias point of view. 

He’s pretty much the equivalent to a Tucker Poolman. Now imagine us getting a prospect, a 4th and a late first for Poolman.

eye test means everything.. i honestly believe that. hughes had terrible numbers last year, but when your third and 4 line was as bad as ours was it was expected for his numbers to be trash. same example from myers. last year he played the most minutes with the third and 4th line more than any other defenceman on our team, this year we have 4 serviceable lines and lo and behold his numbers go up.

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Gorton, doing a scorch earth type rebuilt - selling high, on anyone he can trade.   Focusing in, on both deep upcoming drafts 

2022 apparently not seen as deep - reason why teams are trying to get 2023 draft picks instead.

4 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Don't know about the context, you shared but Gorton, is creating cap space, acquiring picks and I don't think he is done - perhaps, a clearance sale is more appropriate.

Gorton isn’t GM. Hughes is. 

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

When compared to each other 2023, is deeper but these two consecutive drafts are both full of talent - especially, in the first two rounds

Seravalli in explaining why teams could be targeting 2023 picks writes:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravalli-nhl-teams-are-asking-for-2023-draft-picks-over-2022/

"But this trade deadline may be a bit different from the rest in that, so far, teams have asked for and prefer 2023 draft picks as compensation over picks from the upcoming 2022 Draft. They are seen as more valuable – and that includes later-round picks, not just first-round picks."

and quotes Chris Peters:  "I think there’s a general feeling that the first round in 2022 isn’t especially exceptional outside of the lottery range. There has been a perception for some time that the top of the 2023 Draft is much more plentiful than the top of 2022 in terms of true difference makers."

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

They are more or less using the same data.

The difference is context.

im a DA/BA. stats help tell the story but they are not the story, you need to frame it with the context. A lot of people on here use advanced stats as gospel. 

you need to put them into the context of what’s happening. 

A D man who is playing on one of the worse teams in the NHL is going to have poor ga stats. You need to frame it with other stats to help build up a picture and then test that by watching the game with those in mind and see if what is being told by the maths stacks up. 

Analytic departments in the NHL won’t just spew advanced stats and make good bad statements they will be looking and how they fit into the wider context 

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Exactly why the Canucks need to be sellers........though I know they wont

It pains me to admit, but you're probably right 

We'll hold on to our pieces and chase the playoff bar, and if we miss we'll end the season in no man's land, which I think is what'll happen 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It pains me to admit, but you're probably right 

We'll hold on to our pieces and chase the playoff bar, and if we miss we'll end the season in no man's land, which I think is what'll happen 

Holding on to everyone would be a big mistake imo. At TDL teams overpay and do deals they normally wouldn't, the process is much more rational in the off-season. So extend or trade Motte and deal at least one of Boeser/Myers/Dickinson/Poolman/Hamonic. Garland and Miller I'm ok with keeping if the right deal isn't there.

I think we have pretty much zero chance catching Dallas or Predators unless Dallas really bottoms out. So we need to move ahead of both Vegas and Oilers to make it. We control our destiny vs Vegas, but if Oilers win their game in hand they are 5 points up with 21 games left. Not impossible but objectively not likely. If they e.g. go 10-8-4 we need to go e.g. 14-5-2.

9 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Hes a legit 3 on a lot of teams.  

Wish we had him here 

Admittedly, I've never been a fan of him ever since he was on the Jets...he's not terrible by any means, I just think he's over-rated. He is a good pick-up, but I think I'd want him in my 4 or 5 spot if I'm a top contender. 

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Holding on to everyone would be a big mistake imo. At TDL teams overpay and do deals they normally wouldn't, the process is much more rational in the off-season. So extend or trade Motte and deal at least one of Boeser/Myers/Dickinson/Poolman/Hamonic. Garland and Miller I'm ok with keeping if the right deal isn't there.

I think we have pretty much zero chance catching Dallas or Predators unless Dallas really bottoms out. So we need to move ahead of both Vegas and Oilers to make it. We control our destiny vs Vegas, but if Oilers win their game in hand they are 5 points up with 21 games left. Not impossible but objectively not likely. If they e.g. go 10-8-4 we need to go e.g. 14-5-2.

I don't see us catching Calgary or LA, and I see Edmonton as a team that'll add if they can, missing the playoffs with McDavid would be disastrous for their management 

Don't see us beating out the Central teams for a wildcard spot

I don't see us adding, could see hockey trades maybe, I'd love to be wrong and see us be more of a seller 

Guess we'll see

6 hours ago, mll said:

Seravalli in explaining why teams could be targeting 2023 picks writes:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravalli-nhl-teams-are-asking-for-2023-draft-picks-over-2022/

"But this trade deadline may be a bit different from the rest in that, so far, teams have asked for and prefer 2023 draft picks as compensation over picks from the upcoming 2022 Draft. They are seen as more valuable – and that includes later-round picks, not just first-round picks."

and quotes Chris Peters:  "I think there’s a general feeling that the first round in 2022 isn’t especially exceptional outside of the lottery range. There has been a perception for some time that the top of the 2023 Draft is much more plentiful than the top of 2022 in terms of true difference makers."

I get it but both drafts are looking really good and I hope the Canucks, can get more picks for both.  Canucks should be selling: shedding cap and gathering picks.  

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Trading a garland, motte, even Boeser is nothing but a lateral move......rearranging deck chairs.