The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, therodigy said:

I was right in that Detroit would face a shelling. I just didn't foresee Nedelkovic stopping everything.

Is it just me, or does it look like OEL is playing with some sort of lingering injury? He doesn't look like his usual self. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing him bobble and turnover the puck as much as he did tonight.

Demko is a Demigod. 

Not a good night for OEl, or any of the dmen really

• Vintage 1

Miller has a quiet game and nobody else steps up.  

Boeser is a side issue, he will prob be dealt for a dman. Yeah he missed the net three times. What about the other guys? 

Problem is our fortunes are hinged around Miller and the goalie.

D is awful at keeping plays alive, getting pucks on net, outlet passes.. and ….defending. Demko makes them look better than they are. 

lots of holes that can be filled by Trading (I hate to say it) Miller for boat load of assets.  Otherwise we will have more of the same next year.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Nice way to show some home ice identity Nucks. Miller had the most hits at 3... Where was everyone else? I guess dreaming about a tea party tomorrow. That was beyond embarrassing. The Nucks poor home record has everything to do with being a soft team.

Let's makes some moves if we can for more grit and heart.

Dreadful, call it bad luck or lack of execution, this was a game we let 2 points slip which we haven't done much under Boudreau. Should have been an easy win, the Red Wings have been haemorrhaging goals of late and they put up the biggest shutout against us in 70 years of their club history. Classic Canucks making bad goalies look good. A big reason we lost was hesitation to shoot for me. I know we rack up 40+ shots and had some good tips and looks, but you could see the hesitation, especially from Petey and his wrist.

Everyone played decently, we outplayed the Wings by a large margin and only gave up a handful of A grade scoring chances (mainly because we were pushing offensively), but just couldn't finish. I don't think their goalie particularly stood on his head, we just didn't execute.

Big step back in the playoff race where teams around us win. Now we face a red hot Calgary team and then a Buffalo team on a back to back. We could easily lose these 2 games and go 2-4-1 on a pivitol homestand. Right now I think we'd all be happy to call this homestand a write-off and go .500 which is pathetic but I guess our true colours are finally coming through.

The season's not done yet but if we miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points we'll look back at games like this.

Player-wise, Miller was strong but didn't do anything amazing, Garland was brilliant and really fired up, Boeser was brutal as he has been recently and killed a lot of offensive momentum, Petey was flying and looked great but double clutched on too many opportunities where he should have shot quickly (I say keep him out of the lineup if his wrist isn't 100% unless it's all mental), Horvat looked great and created lots of chances, Podkolzin and Chiasson were strong at winning puck battles and of course Lammy's line did well but barely played.

Hughes was all over the place in a good way, Myers looked strong again too and made some high IQ plays, OEL was decent/average, Hamonic and Schenn were solid but barely played and obviously Demko was brilliant (which was good to see him get back to his previous form).

Just now, DeNiro said:

Every other team steamrolls Detroit and somehow we make them look like the early 2000’s Devils…

You can say their goalie played great all you want but this happens to this team all the time. It’s comes down to those powerplays. There’s not killer instinct there. They just pass the puck around so causally.

And Boeser needs to figure things out or sit. He’s killed so many offensive opportunities from not being able to handle the puck or just throwing it away.

And yet there are folks around here that will throw the chequebook at Brock because they are emotionally attached to a player that was drafted and developed here. Not worth what his next contract will command. 

1 minute ago, Muttley said:

Unfortunate to have to be asking it!  

Boeser is just not himself, something's up there.

Well, it’s time for another team to figure out what’s up with him. There’s still a fair share of teams that think highly of him. 

IMO, he hasn’t recovered from that injury where the bench door was open. He’s lost his shot. Very slow, and isn’t going to get any faster. Time to move him while some teams think highly of him still.

1 minute ago, NHTyrany said:

Nice way to show some home ice identity Nucks. Miller had the most hits at 3... Where was everyone else? I guess dreaming about a tea party tomorrow. That was beyond embarrassing. The Nucks poor home record has everything to do with being a soft team.

Let's makes some moves if we can for more grit and heart.

They had 43 shots, probably 10+ grade A scoring chances.  They were off, no question, but they still win that game if Nej doesn't have the game he had.

• Vintage 1

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

Only the Canucks give bad goalies shut outs.  
I don’t know how they seem to make the wort goalies look awesome 

Neds a good goalie. Detroit had just been awful until they play us… of course 

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

And yet there are folks around here that will throw the chequebook at Brock because they are emotionally attached to a player that was drafted and developed here. Not worth what his next contract will command. 

He's not worth his current contract, imo

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Vegas is still Vegas and Edmonton is going to make the playoffs let’s not kid ourselves. Those are two desperate teams who’s mantra is playoffs or bust.

That's exactly the mentality that is bad for the Oilers though. They don't do well under pressure.