The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Brandon Hagel, 2022 4th-round pick, 2024 4th-round pick to Lightning for Taylor Raddysh, Boris Katchouk, 2023 1st-round pick, 2024 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

If people ignore where Hagel was drafted, it's easy that he's a pretty good, smart, young player. Tampa Bay 1st's are guaranteed to be pretty low so one can think of this trade as trading Hagel to Seattle for two 2nd round picks.

So Demko and Höglander for Hagel?  ^_^

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we're trading Miller to a contender for picks and prospects, those picks will be late round 1st's.  You're not drafting Petey and Huggy with the 28th pick in the draft.

they'd be trading Miller for NHL ready, ir on NHL rosters already prospects, young roster players and the picks would be the throw in.  I can't believe people are still yapping about Miller for picks

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we're trading Miller to a contender for picks and prospects, those picks will be late round 1st's.  You're not drafting Petey and Huggy with the 28th pick in the draft.

You're right, but most folks I've seen advocate for moving Miller aren't building their proposals around picks so much as prospects, players on the cusp, and NHL ready players 

Would I like 1st involved? Sure, but picks shouldn't be the foundation of any Miller trade 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

they'd be trading Miller for NHL ready, ir on NHL rosters already prospects, young roster players and the picks would be the throw in.  I can't believe people are still yapping about Miller for picks

Schneider, Kravtsov and a 1st isn't going to extend our Cup window by 6 years...

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Smart trade by the Hawks. But they should be short a first round pick this year from their failure to deal with, and then hide a sexual predators actions. The NHL is bush. 

Agreed.

I wonder if they will sell Kane who is still playing at a high level (not so much for Toews)

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Schneider, Kravtsov and a 1st isn't going to extend our Cup window by 6 years...

that's probably what they'd have to settle for in the summer qhen Miller tells them he has no intention of signing in Van

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That return AND the spare $10 million in cap space you aren’t spending on Miller could certainly add time to a window rather than shortening it by 4 years when overpaying a 35 year old.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

You're right, but most folks I've seen advocate for moving Miller aren't building their proposals around picks so much as prospects, players on the cusp, and NHL ready players 

Would I like 1st involved? Sure, but picks shouldn't be the foundation of any Miller trade 

I agree with you.  However, a contender is not going to deplete their lineup to add Miller for a Cup run.  That's why these teams are fine trading away their picks and 19-20 year old prospects.  In order for a Miller trade to benefit Vancouver we need someone coming back like Lafreniere.  The question is will the Rangers trade Lafreniere for Miller?

Schneider, Kravtsov and a 1st won't push us into contention for a Cup if you subtract Miller from the equation.  We need a bonafide top 6 ready made player who can step into Miller's shoes from day one.  A guy like Lafreniere, if he's on the table, I would be in favour of moving Miller for a piece like that.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

That return AND the spare $10 million in cap space you aren’t spending on Miller could certainly add time to a window rather than shortening it by 4 years when overpaying a 35 year old.

So we spend the $10 million on someone else in free agency who's 29 years old?  What else do you do with $10 million?  

Having Miller at $9 million is fine as long as you have cheap ELC players around him.  Obviously if you keep Miller you would have to move Boeser and/or Garland.  I am fine with that.  Those players don't bring the value Miller does to the team.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Speculation at best...

Seguin

Jamie Benn

Miller will sign a $9+ million deal and will see the same potential fall off in production while being 2+ years older than them when they signed those deals.  Speculation or not, he's almost priced himself out of another contract in vancouver

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So we spend the $10 million on someone else in free agency who's 29 years old?  What else do you do with $10 million?  

Having Miller at $9 million is fine as long as you have cheap ELC players around him.  Obviously if you keep Miller you would have to move Boeser and/or Garland.  I am fine with that.  Those players don't bring the value Miller does to the team.

why would they spend $10m on one player?  They don't need to replace Miller, they need to use that cap space and roster flexibility to shore up other areas of the roster sso they don't need to rely on a Miller type player.  Offense doesn't win Cups, team defense does