The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

The d here is pretty bad, I think they need to take some low risk  shots at a guy like Dermott finding his game here. A competent proven d man that fits the age profile they are going after costs allot.  Hamonic was slow and provided no offence. 

Yeah I actually agree with this 100%.

Plus, Dermott seems to have been the victim of "eye tests" but has actually been really really good analytically. 

Benning made trades and acquisitions in the opposite way- going by eye test and ignoring analytics and it went absolutely fcking horrendous for us. Kinda happy to see the Canucks taking this approach.

Canucks D got younger, cheaper, faster, and better with this move. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

In any playoff matchup, We will get bullied, Even from a clean hit perspective.. Our guys will wear down soo fast. Getting tired of being very reluctant to add tougher guys to the team. We seem to have an addiction to swiss army knife players... A little bit good at everything, Not great at anything. One of the reasons we are a team with no identity nor consistency imo

Don't think this will be the roster that gets us into the playoffs.  Plus, Dermott is over 200 pounds.  He's only 6' tall, but has that low center of gravity hockey build.  He will be better than OEL.

Just now, eeeeergh said:

Yeah I actually agree with this 100%.

Plus, Dermott seems to have been the victim of "eye tests" but has actually been really really good analytically. 

Benning made trades and acquisitions in the opposite way- going by eye test and ignoring analytics and it went absolutely fcking horrendous for us. Kinda happy to see the Canucks taking this approach.

Canucks D got younger, cheaper, faster, and better with this move. 

Also remember we have a bunch of new head office staff that pour over analytics. I'm sure there's a reason they targeted Dermott. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Devron said:

Well it’s start. Just the first move by management 

I'm really hoping our new group pulls a rangers.. Fringe playoff team and sells high on guys for a quick 2 year retool. We won't get anywhere near as lucky as them of course..:P

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Don't think this will be the roster that gets us into the playoffs.  Plus, Dermott is over 200 pounds.  He's only 6' tall, but has that low center of gravity hockey build.  He will be better than OEL.

When we upgrade that right side we'll be a playoff team.

And when we get rid of our slow forwards and replace them with speedy guys that can punish off the rush, we'll be contenders. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 70seven said:

We need a 3LD.  Rathbone is not ready according to everything I’ve heard from Johnson.  Likely yet another year old in the A upcoming. 

like the deal

Didn't JR say he likes to overcook his young guys in the A?  Best to have Bone play big minutes in Abby that bottom pair (and likely regress) up here.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Don’t forget folks that Dermott can play both sides. Even if he ends up a 6/7th D, having a switch hitter is still a great asset to have 

i get a lot of nate schmidt vibes from him... not sure if its good or bad but schmidt was also a lefty who could play both sides and it didn't work out.

we'll see what happens though.

6 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I love the fact that all these trades are happening today so that the TSN and Sportsnet panels can once again provide another awkward and cringe 3 hour TRADE DEADLINE SPECIAL while talking about random and irrelevant crap to desperately make up the time.

Stop treating it like Christmas, it isn't. Hasn't been for a few years now. I'm surprised TSN and Sportsnet haven't scaled it back to one hour before and one hour after. 

• Like 1