The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

No offense... But the statement "if he's that good why would they trade him" is ridiculous... Umm good players get traded all the time. 

I'm not suggesting Dermott is amazing or really good. Just saying that nux getting $1.5 mill in relief, while also getting younger is a good move. 

Also, the leafs traded him because we asked for him.... And because they need to clear cap space even more than we do. 

Fair comment as even good players get traded but wouldn't you agree we could of been even better off without it!! I mean we would of have a $3M cap plus not giving away a high 3rd pick. 

11 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Improved cap - check

Improved LD options - check 

I see competition between Hunt, Dermott, and Rathbone for that final spot

If that is the competition, I will have to cheer for Dermott.

Hunt and Boner are too small while Quinn is healthy; if Quinn goes down, 'Boner' goes up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Only Muzzin and Brodie out of that group are actual NHLers.  If Dermott could actually play defence, Toronto would be keeping him and playing him.  We'd be better off playing Burroughs on his off side than bringing in a defensive liablity like Dermott.

Giordano plays left D and takes the place of Dermott for this year. Muzzin, Reilly and Giordano will be their left D. Brodie will play the right side. 

6 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

I think it is more so giving up such a high draft pick 3rd round for him. The Hammer was definitely an awesome trade no doubt about it as we saved $3M Cap plus got a nice 3rd round pick. We just think we gave up too much for an unproven NHL D. The Leafs gave him up for a lot of reason!! We could of been better off without this trade and see what else is in the market. I would of liked a more solid D for a 3rd round pick!! 

A 3rd is a high draft pick? Since when? If your 3rd round pick turns into Travis Dermott you are happy lol. Get outta here. The leafs gave him up because they need cap space and they're a good enough team that they can give up on players development. We are a $&!# enough team where we can take a chance on players lack of development. This is an overall excellent day. We also still have a 3rd rounder and we traded Winnipeg's. I'm assuming that is because we plan on moving below them in the standings. We can recoup more picks closer to the draft or on draft day.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Because Toronto had 3/6 of their lineup spots dedicated to AHL trash before the Gio trade.  The fact that he couldn't consistently crack a lineup that desperately needs defencemen who can play defence shows a lot.

Yep Dermott is absolute trash.

If you can't be a staple on the Maple Leafs back end by 25 you aren't an NHL dman.

This reminds me of the Baertschi trade.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

I have no issue with the moves overall. The fact that we have our own 3rd back means we are only without our 2nd in the coming draft which is much better than we've been in the past couple of years. While it could be nice to have extra picks, we're also a team that needs to reach the playoffs sooner than later in my opinion; therefore, it might not fully make sense for us to be hounding picks either.

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

What? In what world is Morgan Rielly not an NHL defenseman?! 
Sandin as their 4th LHD, 22 years old, improving quickly, makes tons of sense as well.

Dermott has nowhere to fit on the left side, and planning on keeping him for multiple years on his weak side makes 0 sense too. 

Rielly's defensive zone play is nowhere close to acceptable for an NHL player.  Sandin has the same issue.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This has our owner written all overe it.  this is exactly what Benning did.  picks for already developed guys in hopes of retooling instead of rebuilding.  get to the new group faster than developing from our own picks.  The direction is still the one Aquilini wants.  He just hired an new guy to do it for him that's the only difference.

We were never going to rebuild. It was never mentioned even once by JR. This team has great building blocks. We don’t need to tear it down and collect a hundred draft picks in the process. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, luongianone said:

A 3rd is a high draft pick? Since when? If your 3rd round pick turns into Travis Dermott you are happy lol. Get outta here. The leafs gave him up because they need cap space and they're a good enough team that they can give up on players development. We are a $&!# enough team where we can take a chance on players lack of development. This is an overall excellent day. We also still have a 3rd rounder and we traded Winnipeg's. I'm assuming that is because we plan on moving below them in the standings. We can recoup more picks closer to the draft or on draft day.

Bro what are you smoking here in BC....3rd pick is not consider a valued high pick? Look at how many great players was drafted in the 3rd round. It is more after the 3rd round where players won't ever make it to the NHL. Some of the good 3rd round D's are Chara, Edler, Letang, Barrie...just to name a few. 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kind of seems a lot like when Aquilini directed Benning to use picks to bring in Vey, Beartchi and other guys who had "potential" as underachievers.  

Perhaps. Difference is Benning was a &^@#ing idiot and JR has pedigree. I much more trust JR and his FULL TEAM of management to make decisions over those idiots.

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A rebuild would be too difficult to accomplish and there is no guarantee that it would actually work. We have building blocks in place. We need to surround them with better talent. 

I can see a Boeser trade in the summer or Garland to get a major piece back. Maybe we could free up some cap space by getting rid of Dickinson and Pearson. Myers could also be on the chopping block which would free up a lot of cap space. 

At the end of the day most people won’t be able to deal with a full rebuild. It should have happened after the Sedins left but Aquilini wouldn’t allow it. If he didn’t allow it before he certainly will not allow it now. 

Honestly, a full rebuild could take up to 5 years. Hughes, Petey and Demko could all be gone by then. So it doesn’t make sense when you have several pieces already in place. 

The key is what are they going to do with Miller. Keeping Miller would signify that they will retool and move other pieces around to compete in 2 years. Trading Miller means they are okay with a later window and hoping that they can keep Demko, Petey and Hughes around for several more years. 

So you are retooling with the foundation that Benning built - does this mean he built something that the Canucks could work with, or did he "ruin" the franchise as some people like to think?

Miller's good, but we'll end up loving an asset so much that we'll forget to get something back for them. This is essentially what happened under Gillis and Benning regimes.

58 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

One season after this one and then he'll be a pending RFA

Interesting chain of events. Essentially trading Hamonic for Dermott and gaining a couple mil in cap. Sounds like what JR was preaching. Not crazy about helping Toronto. They just offloaded a contract they didn’t want and gained a third rounder.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Rielly's defensive zone play is nowhere close to acceptable for an NHL player.  Sandin has the same issue.

He's a pure offensive defenseman who's put up 49 points in 62 games, you put him with a stay at home shutdown defenseman and let him outscore his defensive weakness. 

You can have 0 defensive aptitude, but if you're a defenseman that's nearly a ppg, you belong in the NHL. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This has our owner written all overe it.  this is exactly what Benning did.  picks for already developed guys in hopes of retooling instead of rebuilding.  get to the new group faster than developing from our own picks.  The direction is still the one Aquilini wants.  He just hired an new guy to do it for him that's the only difference.

I think perhaps you're overreacting here a bit. If you're just expecting us to stockpile picks, remember that we're a team that needs to get to the playoffs sooner than later. 2 tiny moves is not even a close enough indication to even think that this is the Aquilini's doing. It's just pure unfounded paranoia at that point. I get why you're thinking it, but I don't see how it has any merit.

Also, keep in mind Dermott has another year left on his contract. He has plenty of time to prove himself and this is clearly not some rental.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

So you are retooling with the foundation that Benning built - does this mean he built something that the Canucks could work with, or did he "ruin" the franchise as some people like to think?

Miller's good, but we'll end up loving an asset so much that we'll forget to get something back for them. This is essentially what happened under Gillis and Benning regimes.

Nothing for Markstrom.  Tofolli.  Tanev etc etc etc

You know, the things people complain about every other day on here.  But we need to keep Miller until we know.  Or he Tavares' us :bigblush:

7 minutes ago, luongianone said:

Look at the draft picks that Benning traded that weren't 1st and 2nd round picks. And when you actually look at the list of players acquired, know that there's a long list of posters who complain about these depth players using 3rd round picks and below.

The problem isn't about the picks. The problem is about the posters whining about trading these picks, and then lying to themselves that trading away picks IN THIS scenario is completely different than what Benning did.

So people had complained about Benning trading away picks, but now we are ok trading away players for picks now, for a team that is 5 points out of a playoff spot, just one day before the deadline? What if Dermott is no good?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, eeeeergh said:

He's a pure offensive defenseman who's put up 49 points in 62 games, you put him with a stay at home shutdown defenseman and let him outscore his defensive weakness. 

You can have 0 defensive aptitude, but if you're a defenseman that's nearly a ppg, you belong in the NHL. 

We'll agree to disagree there then.  I have zero tolerance for defencemen who can't play defence.  Rielly's incompetence in his own zone is a major reason why Toronto won't win a playoff round until they find a way to get rid of him.  There is no player on the planet who is able to make up for how much of  a defensive liability Rielly is.

8 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

If that is the competition, I will have to cheer for Dermott.

Hunt and Boner are too small while Quinn is healthy; if Quinn goes down, 'Boner' goes up.

If quinn, dermott, hunt, rathbone are playing that gives us the smallest defense in history of hockey.

Thinking Rathbone is being dealt soon along with hunt.