The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

This isn’t a dig on the Motto line, but when that line is your most consistent line, you know you’ve got some trouble.

Its time for JR and Allvin to mark their prints on this roster. This is predominantly Benning’s team. The ship has finally sailed. The Benning regime has been a failure, but unlike the regime before them, we have salvageable parts. 

Demko, Hughes, Petey. Franchise players to work around with. I’ve been vocal about keeping Miller, but I hope we fully maximize his trade value and completely revamp the dynamic of this team for the next 5+ years. 

The whole culture of this team needs to change. Not being prepared for games, silly defensive miscues, lazy attitude, having poor depth players, injury prone players, lack of pushback and truculence, perimeter one dimensional forwards, all of this needs to change. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

I feel bad for season ticket holder’s. I don’t care how much money you have or how much of a tax right off it is. It’s just too much to endure. My brother in law is at the point where he won’t even give his tickets away to staff, customers and friends. He would rather leave them unoccupied and take the financial hit than deal with the debacle of another sub par performance. 

Please let him know that I’m a charitable guy and will personally sacrifice to take that burden of those tickets off his hands 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is that Fiala for Boeser deal still on the table?  I think I do that deal now, but Minnesota hangs up the phone…

Was never on the table.  It was for Miller back in November.  Fiala will in all likelihood be traded this summer - they don't have the cap space to sign him even if he only takes 5M.    

5 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

RHD stay at home defenseman, literally exactly what the doctor ordered.

Then pry Marino out of Pittsburgh and our defence looks like:

Hughes-Marino
OEL-Manson
Dermott-Poolman

Rathbone, Schenn, Burroughs

Solid defence, lots of depth. 

That defense looks a lot better than what we had tonight.  Let’s see what JR/PA are up to tomorrow.  My hunch is they will wait until the summer to make a major move.

45 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

This team can compete for a playoff clinch, but it isn't built as a cup contender.  There is a very big difference between the two.

Setting ourselves up for 2-3 years down the road, and retooling so we can try to make the playoffs every year also has a vast difference.

We've seen what the latter does for the past decade, how much more do we need to experiment?

We've been rebuilding the past decade.  When you have the likes of our core, you're not gonna be able to bottom out.  It's just not possible or ethical.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That defense looks a lot better than what we had tonight.  Let’s see what JR/PA are up to tomorrow.  My hunch is they will wait until the summer to make a major move.

Agreed, I don't think they need to do anything tomorrow. 

Only thing that seems like a possibility is a deal with Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh probably wants a scoring upgrade for their playoff run

• Upvote 1

You see teams like Tampa, Colorado, Florida, Boston, etc. whenever they call up guys from the AHL it seems like they can step in and IMMEDIATELY contribute. 

Petan, Dries, Rempal, Dowling, small, older forwards with not much of a well rounded game suited for the NHL. They don’t contribute jack $&!#. Bailey is quite possibly the worst forward I’ve seen play on this team since Andrew Ebbett or Aaron Volpatti. 

Defensive depth is decent at least. Burroughs, Bowey, and Juulsen have shown to be serviceable when called upon. 

Point is there’s a lot of issues with this organization that have been masked with the whole Boudreau honeymoon phase. 

45 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

It is time to stop building a team to clinch a playoff birth and properly build a team that can actually win it all, especially because we have the right core to do so.  Stop mortgaging our future for mediocrity. 

But, in order to win it all, don't you have to first clinch a playoff berth? And I don't understand what you mean by "mortgaging our future". How does that work?

22 minutes ago, RWJC said:

A chance to…

lower our draft position

bow out in the 1st round 

see certain players who are already overworked and seem to be running on fumes push themselves even further and risk injury just trying to compete in that position until end of season.

by the time playoffs roll around, they will be physically wasted. 

I’m a huge fan of this team.

but reality needs to sink in that even if we were to make it into a wildcard spot, we are HUGE underdogs without enough depth to stay afloat. We don’t even have the pieces or cap right now to pick up complimentary depth players for a run. 

the consistency is not there.

the total team effort has not been present. 

yeah anything can happen in the playoffs, including a total deflation that carries over into next season.

I mean this in the best possible way…

this team needs change and imho needs to miss the playoffs so that it is hungry from the friggin get go of any game next season. Bring in the right players, remove a few of the current ones, and that will not be a problem.

They just don’t have it put together and if one thinks that a miracle can happen with this roster once they are in, you’ll be proud of them but sadly disappointed, imho. 

now is the time to capitalize for next season, not this one.

Oh yeah, we all know our chance to win the cup this year is close to 0, the chance to make the playoffs is close to 1-5%. Heck, our team is worse than what it was in 2020. We took multiple steps back by bleeding players without properly replacing them.

But that's not gonna stop the players from giving it all they got to try and make it. And as a fan, you cheer on the players. 

Management's not going to step in and say, "hey guys, we have zero chance of winning the cup so we are giving up by trading you all."

That will shock me. I'm not against selling but it will be a surprise.

And majority of the fans tune in to watch their team win. If you happen to run into the players, what would you say?

"Hey guys, you guys aren't winning the cup this year. Give it up already. We aren't cheering you on."

Surely not?

So yeah, as a fan, I want to see the boys play hard and get some wins. And my guess is that in the end, we will fall short. But I want to see the players play hard and win some games. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Was at the game tonight.

Pros

1) Podkolzin-Petan-Chiasson was an awesome fourth line trio. Aggressive, hounding pucks, and very consistent in all three zones. Wished they were given more time IMO in the third period. They played well.

2) Huggy is a breakout machine, and its so much different watching him in person verses on the TV. He really does dictate the game and does so much heavy lifting for this club. He needs help on that backend.

3) Shaky few goals, but Demko's highlight reel save of stacking the pads made the building electric. I do  think he is tired and is making mental mistakes because he is so tired. HIs technique is sorta fading. He needs a capable backup to take away some games from him.

Cons

1) OEL looks like he has regressed a lot in his game. Im convinced he might be hurt because he got walked a lot - something we saw from Juolevi last season. OEL just made so many confusing mistakes that Im not used to seeing him do.

2) The Canucks overall defensive structure conceded way too much back and forth chances. I dont get how this team is so passive in letting chance after chance go to the goalie.

3) Boeser cannot take a pass to save his life. He really has hands of stone. He fights the puck so badly that its like an eternity watching him receive passes. Its hard to see how hard he has regressed in his offensive capabilities. He doesn't look like a threat anymore as a player.

one small note, the two goals we got were from the two players driving this team the past handful of games. JT and Bo. These are the leaders on the team, but don't have enough support around them.

56 minutes ago, Devron said:

Nope and never will 

Yes we have.In the trade for the twins the canucks traded to get  1 ll the while having 3rd over all.They then traded the 1st overall to tyhe 2nd overall with the guarantee the Atlanta thrashers  would not take either of the twins.They took Patrik Stefan.Had a 1st overall.never used it.

• Cheers 1

Just now, cowboy644 said:

Yes we have.In the trade for the twins the canucks traded to get  1 ll the while having 3rd over all.They then traded the 1st overall to tyhe 2nd overall with the guarantee the Atlanta thrashers  would not take either of the twins.They took Patrik Stefan.Had a 1st overall.never used it.

Didn’t know that. Neat 

50 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Well folks, I think we're just about done.

Canucks really needed to win the games versus Detroit and Buffalo... these are bottom feeder teams... should have been done like dinner.

The fact they couldn't... does not bode well for this 'drive' to the playoffs.

Level of play has fallen off in the last 4 games dramatically.

The problem is all about play in the D-Zone... the running around continues... it becomes predictable, other team has the puck on a string, Canucks get tired out, other team scores.  The Canucks need to get their defensive system down as #1 priority... just not good enough.

There is also a problem with the lack of fluidity in the Canucks 5 on 5 offense, they are falling back into really predictable patterns... similar to what they did under Green.

Team needs to be taught how to use their wingers and movement to put the other team off balance... that is not happening now.

Other teams seem to have figured out the Canucks weaknesses under Boudreau now that they have enough sample size. 

Winning the winnable games, MTL, NJD, DET, BUF would have net us 8 points and all we had to do was win 1 of the 3 games against WSH, TBL, CGY to get 10 points.

We would have 72 points and be tied for the last wild card spot (though Dallas would still have 3 games in hand). Alas, it was not to be.

The next 7 games will likely seal our fate. We need 5 wins and 3 of those must come against Dallas and Vegas. Not sure I like our chances given how horrible our defence has been.

And Bruce, for f*ck's sake, break up EP and Horvat. In your own words, our strength is down the middle and you are going with EP on Horvat's wing? Are you kidding me? What's our record when EP and Horvat play on the same line?

EP is starting to look like an average player all of a sudden. Put Podz on EP's wing and see if he can start scoring again.

Petey played 236 minutes with Podz. GF: 10, GA: 3.

Petey played 104 minutes with Horvat. GF: 2. GA 8.

Please Bruce. I beg you. Please. I know you love Chiasson. I'll gladly accept putting Chiasson with Petey if you put Podz there too.

Edited by khay

The fact is, although he has had a great season and deserves every credit, Demko is tired.

He is not as sharp as he was, and he has not got the breaks he needed because his backup is sh*t.

And he can't save this team every night.

Until they get some replacements for the D, and the rest of the team gets a decent system in the D-Zone, they are not going anywhere.

• Like 1