The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks claim Brad Richardson off waivers

44 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

100%. Agree with you on all fronts. Thanks for seeing what I was seeing. I guess I'm just surprised to see it so early in all of this ... although I shouldn't be, because you're right, we need to find those diamonds.

This one just hit home from the older veteran vs. need to get younger contradiction in messaging.

But I also started to see it after watching/listening to a few interviews with JR and Allvin, thinking ... is anyone noticing their talking points are the same as the previous regime? And then I thought ... oh, wow, JR and Allvin have no clue we've been hearing these same things for eight years. 

I honestly believe they need to change up their messenging to fans from a PR standpoint. At least find their own unique identity, use different language, be careful and aware NOT to keep repeating the same things as the previous regime. I'm surprised someone like Smyl hasn't chimed in on this and pointed it out to them.

As we've seen, fans don't have a lot of patience - even less now - for experiments and reclamations. 

I think it should be fairly obvious to all that what you’re saying is true. That this is a pickup that muddles the messaging of getting younger while picking up/signing older players in the exact same way the previous leadership group got crucified for. Anyone who denies that isn’t looking at the situation with unbiased eyes.

I get exactly why you’re confused or unhappy, especially so if you were one of the people complaining when Benning did it. You’re being consistent in your beliefs regardless of leadership. I really appreciate that.

Every new management team like most fans I’ve tried to support, but there’s one thing I’ve got a nagging nervousness about. I know it’s a very unpopular opinion at the moment and correlation may not mean causation here, but I find it concerning that once again we’ve decided to go with another rookie GM (even if he’s under Rutherford’s wing). I feel like an organization is at its peak capability when the best person available is in all positions.

Leaving a hole/gap of knowledge/experience from the level of coach to president of hockey operations seems asking for trouble regardless of Allvin’s resume. It’s one of the most important positions in an NHL management group. I don’t think it’s a job you can learn at as you go unless you want to spend a decade doing so. It’s what happened with Benning, he was at his best at the end of his tenure because he had built up enough experience to finally know what to and what not to do. Either you know what to do as GM and everything works smooth or you don’t and have mistakes/setbacks for half a decade or more.

I really hope they all prove me wrong.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1

What a weird half pregnant deadline.

Started off well with ditching Hamonic, then undid half the good by picking up Dermott.

Then traded Motte at a price you shouldn’t have probably just kept him, then picked up a slower and older replacement when you

said you wanted to get younger and faster.

….  I don’t even know if we are still trying to make the playoffs or not.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

In isolation, this is a decent signing but he hasn't played much recently. 800k for a guy who will probably play 8-10 minutes a night. I hope he can still win faceoffs and kill penalties. 37 years old, it's a tough job for an older guy but he's only signed to the end of the season so this is basically just an upgrade on Petan and they must be worried about Petey's wrist and ability to play center.

Good pickup, low cost, likely low reward but better than any of our AHLers and Lammy goes up to the 3rd line (which he's basically been playing).

I think this signing tells us that Petey isn't playing center until next season, it's not that related to Motte.

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Thanks. I appreciate the tag. I really do.

It's not that I don't know the answer, and sure, you make great points, you articulated those answers well ... totally get it ... I'm just frustrated to see our new management bring in a 37 yearl old player and then say in the press conference, we have to get younger. We just listened to eight years of the previous regime saying similar things. 

Big difference here is Brad isn't someone they gave up picks for along with long term $3 mill contracts to play (then sit out) on our bench so young guys NEVER get that chance ( I get that is exactly what the old group said and didn't do with signing those high priced 3rd & 4th liners)

But this contract is for the rest of the season only and i believe they will be working hard to do what they said in getting younger and faster (hopefully other  teams value what it will take to get that)

This never was made for the future of the team and it didn't cost them anything to finish the year

Solid veteran presence.  Something the forwards need more of tbh. He’s often on IR, but he plays with moxy and can pk and take draws. 

I look at this deadline

3/4W Motte UFA 

3RD Hamonic 

for

3LD Dermott

4/5C Richardson

4th round pick

2+M cap savings

whats not to like?

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's an expiring contract to replace Motte short term. It doesn't mean anything. The playoffs are over/whatever happens.

The real moves will be made in the summer. It's silly when people say stuff like "well they said you wanted to get younger and faster". It's not like every single signing has to match that exact criteria, especially over an 18 game slate. It's not like they can never sign a veteran now. lol that's just being nitpicky to bitch about something.

It's hilarious (but unsurprising) how many fans seen not to get it lol.

We're not signing Richardson to a $3m x 4 year extension this summer. He's a free, warm body, who can replace some of the PK minutes we traded away with Motte for the remaining, short term, quarter of a season. And he can play C!

They've been telegraphing for weeks now that we're weren't likely doing anything major at the TDL. Motte if they couldn't get him signed. Maybe Halak if they could manage it. Hell, dumping Hamonic and getting an actual asset back was AMAZING. Dermot is decent depth, fast, younger and cheaper. Decent enough move.

People's expectations being out of whack is a them problem.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Provost said:

What a weird half pregnant deadline.

Started off well with ditching Hamonic, then undid half the good by picking up Dermott.

Then traded Motte at a price you shouldn’t have probably just kept him, then picked up a slower and older replacement when you

said you wanted to get younger and faster.

….  I don’t even know if we are still trying to make the playoffs or not.

We aren’t…

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

It's hilarious (but unsurprising) how many fans seen not to get it lol.

We're not signing Richardson to a $3m x 4 year extension this summer. He's a free, warm body, who can replace some of the PK minutes we traded away with Motte for the remaining, short term, quarter of a season. And he can play C!

They've been telegraphing for weeks now that we're weren't likely doing anything major at the TDL. Motte if they couldn't get him signed. Maybe Halak if they could manage it. Hell, dumping Hamonic and getting an actual asset back was AMAZING. Dermot is decent depth, fast, younger and cheaper. Decent enough move.

People's expectations being out of whack is a them problem.

Character guy who will likely play a 1/4 season for the Canucks and be gone. Not a big deal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's an expiring contract to replace Motte short term. It doesn't mean anything. The playoffs are over/whatever happens.

The real moves will be made in the summer. It's silly when people say stuff like "well they said you wanted to get younger and faster". It's not like every single signing has to match that exact criteria, especially over an 18 game slate. It's not like they can never sign a veteran now. lol that's just being nitpicky to bitch about something.

If they know the playoff are over and these are meaningless games, why aren’t they rotating kids from the AHL into the lineup to see where they are in their development?

That is what teams generally do at this point.  Did you see all the other sellers go out and pick up old veterans?  Your point assumes there aren’t other bodies in the organization who know how to play hockey which is just silly and shortsighted.  So ya, you can get younger and faster by simply not making a meaningless pick up.

This and the Dermott thing were weird on the fence moves.  If they were admitting they were out of the playoffs you don’t do either move and wait until the summer when larger moves can be made.

Edited by Provost

59 minutes ago, Provost said:

We aren’t making the playoffs… but does management know that?

Why pick up Richardson when we can promote a few kids for some meaningless games and see where their development is?

Probably because don’t feel the kids are ready especially at C.  
Let them brew in the minors, not that there is much there at C. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Probably because don’t feel the kids are ready especially at C.  
Let them brew in the minors, not that there is much there at C. 

And; that the vast majority of our C prospects are in Europe...

Never mind that none of these guys are likely remotely ready to replace the high level PK minutes Motte was playing.

Richardson also represents some of that high level of training/practice/play, work habits/"culture" we seem to be missing at times. 

And if people had been paying attention, management has mentioned numerous times that they will be "overripening" all prospects (sorry to those of you pining for a Rathbone recall as well). Don't expect to see a lot of kids called up to "see how they're doing" they can see how they're doing, just fine, in Abby. And they will get called up when damn good, and over-ready.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And; that the vast majority of our C prospects are in Europe...

Never mind that none of these guys are likely remotely ready to replace the high level PK minutes Motte was playing.

Richardson also represents some of that high level of training/practice/play, work habits/"culture" we seem to be missing at times. 

And if people had been paying attention, management has mentioned numerous times that they will be "overripening" all prospects (sorry to those of you pining for a Rathbone recall as well). Don't expect to see a lot of kids called up to "see how they're doing" they can see how they're doing, just fine, in Abby. And they will get called up when damn good, and over-ready.

They did say that they were going to try to get Rathbone and Lockwood some time with big club this season. Since they papered Podz and Petan down today, that would be all the recalls allowed.