The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Revisit Boeser Rookie Season Goals Highlights Reel - for those who forgot how good he actually was before injuries.

Rate this topic

Barefoot

52 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Boeser highlights from just last season. Looks good to me.

Just having a down season. Skating coach and conditioning off season and he’ll be back.

Interesting - haven't seen much of that this season.  Still doesn't look as good as he did in his rookie season, but definitely much closer.  Great to see, thanks for pointing that out.  Piece this together with the other mention about his groin issue at the start of the year, and maybe shed some weight, and maybe that's a more likely cause for this season.  He's definitely not moving or shooting properly this season. 

No one forgot, it's the reality of his progression/regression. His impact on the ice has regressed a lot from his first season, although his defensive game has improved, it's still average. Injuries are part of a player's career.

We can't just keep him based on how he played 4 years ago.

Points aren't the issue with Brock, it's his overall play when he's not producing and his skating ability.

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Brock got injured banging his back ok the boards and that was it for him. Let’s face it. That back ruined him and he is no longer the same since. I laugh when people say how good he was past year…… he was average although he did put up some points. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

I think the biggest thing isn't injuries, it's just the bump that rookies often get due to a number of factors: youthful excitement, not being keyed in on by the opponent, early success allowing his confidence to explode, no adversity, and so on. 

say what you will about travis green, the guy knew how to put rookies in position to succeed. 

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Boeser rookie season .88 pts per game

Boeser last season .87 pts per game just as good in 4th season

Boeser this season .62 pts per game - having a down year

1 hour ago, tas said:

I think the biggest thing isn't injuries, it's just the bump that rookies often get due to a number of factors: youthful excitement, not being keyed in on by the opponent, early success allowing his confidence to explode, no adversity, and so on. 

say what you will about travis green, the guy knew how to put rookies in position to succeed. 

Re-quoted my post to dispute this claim re: production. But I don’t discount the validity of the rookie factors you mentioned.

Would he be over a point per game producer but for injuries and the line-mate combos? As per LionifJudah’s post.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Devron said:

He looks so slight. Now he looks more blocky and slower. I think they are doing it wrong regarding his weight. Anyone else have any insight to this? 

Prince Charming GIFs | Tenor + How I quit weekend overeating. 5 surprising strategies that helped me ditch  the bingeing, the guilt, and the extra weight. =  image.jpeg.3abfbe554f06598de205211143fca035.jpeg

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

… and that was that…

That was so unfortunate and yes it changed him forever. So terrible to watch.   I will always remember all the sports commentators saying that it was Lazy Jake "The Ripper" who was the one that was too slow to get off the ice and shut the gate which led to this.  Watch it again and look how much time he took to get off - typical Jake - did everything sloooooooow!  Another, in the long list of reasons why he deserved to be banished in the Siberian hockey league .

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Let's not forget that he had another injury to start the year, likely a groin. If he rushed back to try and help the team but as a result never fully healed, a good offseason could very well see a new Brock next year. Having said this, he needs to sign for a reasonable deal in order to stay. He knows this and publicly said he wants to stay, so I hope it happens.

Had the wrist injury in college and then the back injury to end his rookie season on a down note, just seems like there something all the time bugging him or holding him up unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

That was so unfortunate and yes it changed him forever. So terrible to watch.   I will always remember all the sports commentators saying that it was Lazy Jake "The Ripper" who was the one that was too slow to get off the ice and shut the gate which led to this.  Watch it again and look how much time he took to get off - typical Jake - did everything sloooooooow!  Another, in the long list of reasons why he deserved to be banished in the Siberian hockey league .

Does anyone ever hustle off, its almost always a slow skate for the line change.

Either way that back injury just seemed to set off a slow decline.  Just never regained that skating and always looked a little slower since then.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tas said:

Bang on.

Someone put together a video of tyler myers rookie season when he was a force please.  

15 hours ago, Barefoot said:

There was a reason he got called Brockstar and his shot was a Brocket.  Look at the difference - ease of mobility, that incredible shot.  The kid - and all of us and the team - got robbed of this superstar in the making from his injuries.  He's a totally different player watching him now.  Just in case people forgot.  We weren't imagining it.  

AND - he actually never got to play with Petey when he played like this.  Can you imagine those two together WITHOUT injuries to both of them.  THERE'S your reason for most Canuck woes since.  Watch and enjoy and then cry to think of what could have been.

Injuries my ass.  

Every player suffers injuries.

This might be the most worthless thread ive ever seen on the forum.

• Cheers 1

Something that doesn't get pointed out enough is that his dad is still battling parkinsons and cancer. We've seen how family oriented Brock is, we've seen him get emotional in interviews talking about it. I think we often forget our favourite players are human too. At some point we have to admit that his father's situation is at the very least distracting for even the most professional of athletes. 

Couple that with injury issues and maybe getting used to a different role on the team and it's easy to see he has a lot on his plate at the moment. Maybe a trade to Minny makes sense for all parties although I hope he sticks it out and returns to his past self on the Canucks. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Injuries my ass.  

Every player suffers injuries.

This might be the most worthless thread ive ever seen on the forum.

I agree but because I believe BB will be better next year. I haven’t given up on that yet.

16 hours ago, BPA said:

Boeser is the trigger man.  He needs to play with a playmaker to set him up with the nice passes.

Everyone except Demko, Miller and Hughes are having a bad year.

Not true..Garland and Schenn are having pretty good years

36 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Ok on Schenn, but I don't think I would say Garland is having a good year given the expectations that come along with his salary. His game this season hasn't necessarily been bad but for nearly $5M a season I expect more than .56 ppg especially when you are undersized and physicality isn't a big part of your game. Pearson has basically given us the same output for $1.5M less on the cap.

2 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Ok on Schenn, but I don't think I would say Garland is having a good year given the expectations that come along with his salary. His game this season hasn't necessarily been bad but for nearly $5M a season I expect more than .56 ppg especially when you are undersized and physicality isn't a big part of your game. Pearson has basically given us the same output for $1.5M less on the cap.

Nah...all that means is that I forgot Pearson's having a pretty good year too.....LOL

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

I’ll say Schenn is having a good year but not Garland.

At best Garland is having an average year.  After a hot start, he’s been streaky.  Hasn’t passed 40pts yet.  I don’t know about you but $5M for 35-40pts is not that great.