The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Big fan of Red Truck....

Lately, I've been buying the Fernie Brewing Co mixer packs. Good stuff. There are also 2 breweries in my area that I like to support. Wheelhouse here in PR sells a dark ale called Blacksmith, which I like and Sherwood Mountain in Terrace sells my favorite, Lava Bed Red ale.

As far as American beers, I haven't had the chance to try any of their craft beers, but as far as their mainstream stuff goes, Sam Adams is the only one I would recommend.

This is strong. It's good, just not my thing. Maybe I'm not arrogant enough? Or I'm just not worthy. ;)

Could contain: Alcohol, Beer, Beverage, Beer Bottle, Bottle, Liquor, Lager, Person, Face, Head

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is strong. It's good, just not my thing. Maybe I'm not arrogant enough? Or I'm just not worthy. ;)

Could contain: Alcohol, Beer, Beverage, Beer Bottle, Bottle, Liquor, Lager, Person, Face, Head

Yeah, 7.2 %....still the alcohol content doesn't influence me all that much. It's all about the taste and I'm partial to Amber and Brown ales. I don't mind extra hops, but if it crosses the line into citrus territory, it's too much for me....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I don't get why there is a difference between publicly funded and government funded.   The BBC is listed as publicly funded.

For the same reason that Russian media is also listed as Government funded.  

No need to get into the cozy relationship that Liberals have generally enjoyed with CBC, it should be listed that way even if Conservatives or whoever is in power.  They control the funding for the CBC at the end of the day.  

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

For the same reason that Russian media is also listed as Government funded.  

No need to get into the cozy relationship that Liberals have generally enjoyed with CBC, it should be listed that way even if Conservatives or whoever is in power.  They control the funding for the CBC at the end of the day.  

Given the above "theory", one would expect the current Liberal government to have increased funding to the CBC, but....

Could contain: Chart, Plot

https://frpc.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Public-funding-of-CBC-operations-2020-4-February.pdf

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Given the above "theory", one would expect the current Liberal government to have increased funding to the CBC, but....

Could contain: Chart, Plot

https://frpc.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Public-funding-of-CBC-operations-2020-4-February.pdf

From the synopsis of the paper you linked... 

"Parliament’s sovereignty over CBC's funding has been weakening, not merely because CBC's Annual Reports no longer acknowledge Parliamentary appropriations but ‘government appropriations’, but also because the process through which CBC's budget is determined and/or later changed is not transparent non-transparent reporting means that CBC's legislated independence from government is difficult to evaluate and the current Broadcasting Act does not clearly establish where responsibility for identifying breaches of such legislative requirements lies, and • CBC’s Annual Reports provide too little objective information about its fulfillment of its legislative mandate from Parliament to permit its role in the broadcasting system to be understood, and provide so little consistent historical financial information that Parliament’s support for Canada’s national broadcasting service cannot easily be assessed."

Sounds like they had a hell of a time tracking the money in this report which is surprising for a public broadcaster. 

Edit: I do see your point though, there's no clear big spike in funding during the early Liberal years. 

Will be interesting to look back in a few years and see what happened during the pandemic. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

From the synopsis of the paper you linked... 

"Parliament’s sovereignty over CBC's funding has been weakening, not merely because CBC's Annual Reports no longer acknowledge Parliamentary appropriations but ‘government appropriations’, but also because the process through which CBC's budget is determined and/or later changed is not transparent non-transparent reporting means that CBC's legislated independence from government is difficult to evaluate and the current Broadcasting Act does not clearly establish where responsibility for identifying breaches of such legislative requirements lies, and • CBC’s Annual Reports provide too little objective information about its fulfillment of its legislative mandate from Parliament to permit its role in the broadcasting system to be understood, and provide so little consistent historical financial information that Parliament’s support for Canada’s national broadcasting service cannot easily be assessed."

Sounds like they had a hell of a time tracking the money in this report which is surprising for a public broadcaster. 

Edit: I do see your point though, there's no clear big spike in funding during the early Liberal years. 

Will be interesting to look back in a few years and see what happened during the pandemic. 

I think the important point is there is little difference in funding between the two major parties.

I suppose one could make the case that CBC is left leaning, just as one could make the case that the National Post is right leaning, however there is no evidence that this has anything to do with whichever government is providing the funding....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think the important point is there is little difference in funding between the two major parties.

I suppose one could make the case that CBC is left leaning, just as one could make the case that the National Post is right leaning, however there is no evidence that this has anything to do with whichever government is providing the funding....

Last I checked the National Post was still private but I suppose they are getting money from government as well. Government is providing funding to the CBC so that means I am as a taxpayer. I believe the CBC audience has pretty much disappeared if polls are correct. 5%?  I haven't watched CBC for years as they are left wing and full of BS.  

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Last I checked the National Post was still private but I suppose they are getting money from government as well. Government is providing funding to the CBC so that means I am as a taxpayer. I believe the CBC audience has pretty much disappeared if polls are correct. 5%?  I haven't watched CBC for years as they are left wing and full of BS.  

If you haven't watched for years, how do you know they're "left wing and full of BS"? :unsure:

BTW: I wasn't claiming that the Post is government funded, only that they're right leaning.....

30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If you haven't watched for years, how do you know they're "left wing and full of BS"? :unsure:

BTW: I wasn't claiming that the Post is government funded, only that they're right leaning.....

I didn't want to contaminate my purified brain by letting the CBC in. :sadno: I read the MSN News and there are CBC clips on there at times. 

That was my comment about the NP getting Government money. In 2018 Morneau earmarked $600 million over 5 years to subsidize Canadian media. I couldn't find how much the NP gets or whether this program will go past the current mandate. 

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I didn't want to contaminate my purified brain by letting the CBC in. :sadno: I read the MSN News and there are CBC clips on there at times. 

That was my comment about the NP getting Government money. In 2018 Morneau earmarked $600 million over 5 years to subsidize Canadian media. I couldn't find how much the NP gets or whether this program will go past the current mandate. 

Yeah, I wouldn't even know how to start finding those numbers. Suffice to say that the NP doesn't get anywhere near the funding that CBC does.....

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

E very time I hear someone make this statement about a media publication that isn't say, The Tyee, The Rebel, FOX or Newsmax/OANN I cringe and weep for how intelligence has fled the greater population

It's literally media.  They report the news.  they tend to use the exact same stories as literally every other AP accredited publication.  They HAVE absolutely got opinion columnists and reportrers in charge of programs with some sort of slant or another but they are literally labeled as "opinion" 

Hating on a media publication for reporting the same stuff as everyone else because it is the literal facts and the news as it happens shows severe partisanship and an unwillingness to accept the facts as they are because they do not conform to ones own bias.

here is a breakdown of media ownership in canada, as one can see these are not exactly "left wing" types

The Torstar Corporation owns the Toronto Star and operates more than 80 newspapers across Canada, including the StarMetro chain of free daily newspapers. The Postmedia Network Canada Corporation owns the National Post newspaper. It also owns daily newspapers in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.  The corporation, which owns 140 outlets in print and online, is 98-per-cent owned by US hedge funds.

In Atlantic Canada, the Irving Group is well-known for its gas stations and home oil delivery. In New Brunswick, through Brunswick News, it owns every major daily newspaper, most of the French and English weeklies, and some private radio stations. 

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

On 4/15/2023 at 10:09 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I support local breweries. Less corporate. I'm spending locally. And most of the stuff be it Hoyne, Red Truck, Steamworks, etc. is fantastic.

I still like my Guinness. And Corona with a slice of lime in Summer on a hot day. But I never figured out what the attraction of US beers.

I bought some Rainer for nostalgia reasons, and it was meh, probably because it's not the same brewery.

On 4/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Big fan of Red Truck....

Lately, I've been buying the Fernie Brewing Co mixer packs. Good stuff. There are also 2 breweries in my area that I like to support. Wheelhouse here in PR sells a dark ale called Blacksmith, which I like and Sherwood Mountain in Terrace sells my favorite, Lava Bed Red ale.

As far as American beers, I haven't had the chance to try any of their craft beers, but as far as their mainstream stuff goes, Sam Adams is the only one I would recommend.

I'm a big fan of Stanley Park myself. Sunsetter is the ultimate summer beer (not to say I won't enjoy it in other seasons). The Hazy is a nice kick. They used to have the Daytrip lager which was a little lighter % but a nice smooth beer. And then they had the special Canucks beer during the 50th season (19-20) which I loved.

Also a big fan of Phillips. Glitter Bomb, Tiger Shark, exc. They have some good ones. 

I used to drink Steam Works relatively frequently, then I bought a mixer 12 pack for a party (stupidly) and haven't gone back for awhile. We are lucky to have so many awesome local brewing companies. 

Lastly I'll mention Ok Spring 1516, my go-to cheaper beer. Maybe OKS isn't as "local" but there's some solid cheaper beers made throughout the province. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

This CBC/Twitter situation is such a white pill imo. The 69% thing is hilarious.

The CBC is primarily outdated & but also, at times, dishonest. Not totally worth the massive investment nowadays imo. The hand-wringing over this being an attack on 'gold standard' journalism is fantastic too.

Its quite likely that the major publications in Canada - including also NP + G&M, nvm more localized like The Province here and the Toronto papers - are kept afloat by government funds, but I don't see a good reason to obscure that. Both people who have any level of trust in these mediums & people who think all (or some) of them are engaged in a vast conspiracy aren't going to change their minds easily.

Technology is shifting us away from a monolithic control on information, and I think that's a net-positive. This is a hard example imo.

• Cheers 1