The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I listened to Rogan a few years ago but it got repetitious. Carlson doesn't really have that much to say. Why bother tuning in? He has a huge audience. I don't get it.  

Carlson doesn't really say much of anything....he's perfected the art of "JAQing off"....

Don't come out and say the racist BS that you are so obviously implying....couch it in the form of "just asking questions". Makes it much harder to sue for defamation....

46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Rumours cropping up that Carlson will be starting a live show/feed on twitter soon in conjunction with a podcast.  potentially one of the largest single deals for a person in history of that nature, larger than Joe Rogans.

Can't wait.....

His contract with FOX likely has a major non-compete clause in it. As long as they pay him out in full I doubt he can go be "competitive media" for quite some time.

There's nothing special about the guy. In the end the attraction isn't him, it's the bile he spews and anyone can spew the same bile. He will be replaced and quietly fade away.

Edited by nuckin_futz

48 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

His contract with FOX likely has a major non-compete clause in it. As long as they pay him out in full I doubt he can go be "competitive media" for quite some time.

There's nothing special about the guy. In the end the attraction isn't him, it's the bile he spews and anyone can spew the same bile. He will be replaced and quietly fade away.

If I had to put money on it, I'd guess that the next racist up on Faux would be Jesse Watters....

• There it is 1

50 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/tucker-carlson-offered-jobs-russian-state-tv-channels-putin-ukraine-rcna81281

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

NON-CVOMS usually entail competing brands/corporations.

The idea of him being a pod cast or AMA style live feed host for pay probably means he will 100% be able to skirt that clause

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

NON-CVOMS usually entail competing brands/corporations.

The idea of him being a pod cast or AMA style live feed host for pay probably means he will 100% be able to skirt that clause

No one's tuning in for his podcast. Much like a cigarette, he's not the product the nicotine is. Anyone can deliver the nicotine/spew the bile.

It's the red meat these people crave. They don't care who the butcher is.

So far I think I like Twitter more since Elon has taken over. The community notes feature in particular is a great way to combat mis-information. I also like the bookmarks button, and I do enjoy the lists being more accessible with the tab format (though there's been alot of pushback against the "for you" tab). I also appreciated him uncovering how twitter operated before with the twitter files. 

One major negative is the recent de-verification. I don't think its bad to offer verification & more features to those who are interested in paying a bit for it, but there is utility in knowing notorious people are legitimately them. I feel like there's gotta be some middle ground on that.

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So far I think I like Twitter more since Elon has taken over. The community notes feature in particular is a great way to combat mis-information. I also like the bookmarks button, and I do enjoy the lists being more accessible with the tab format (though there's been alot of pushback against the "for you" tab). I also appreciated him uncovering how twitter operated before with the twitter files. 

One major negative is the recent de-verification. I don't think its bad to offer verification & more features to those who are interested in paying a bit for it, but there is utility in knowing notorious people are legitimately them. I feel like there's gotta be some middle ground on that.

I will admit I only use Twitter when posters use it on the Ukraine war blog. No Twitter or FB account. I thought Musk would be to busy to spend time on this? 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I will admit I only use Twitter when posters use it on the Ukraine war blog. No Twitter or FB account. I thought Musk would be to busy to spend time on this? 

No actually there's been some significant changes, who knows how much time he dedicates personally but I definitely think there's been some improvements.

On 4/25/2023 at 10:36 AM, Warhippy said:

Rumours cropping up that Carlson will be starting a live show/feed on twitter soon in conjunction with a podcast.  potentially one of the largest single deals for a person in history of that nature, larger than Joe Rogans.

Can't wait.....

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Called it.

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, Boudrias said:

I listened to Rogan a few years ago but it got repetitious. Carlson doesn't really have that much to say. Why bother tuning in? He has a huge audience. I don't get it.  

Carlson doesn't believe what he spews & merely adjusts the opinions he states according to his targeting audiance.  Whatever one my feel about say for example, Ben Shapiro.  Agree or disagree on his viewpoints but at least he honestly believes in what he says imho.  Carlson, imho, in a pure fraud.  Another grifter.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned before.....it appears as though a week ago, the "Free speech absolutist" caved to demands from Recep Erdogan and censored over 400 tweets in Turkey, most of them from political dissedents who have been critical of Erdogan's leadership:

https://www.businessinsider.com/free-speech-censorship-elon-musk-throttled-tweets-turkey-presidential-election-2023-5

Elon Musk's reputation as a free speech absolutist took another hit on Saturday after Twitter sided with the Turkish government and censored the accounts of political opponents ahead of a contentious election.

In an announcement posted Friday evening, at approximately 6 a.m. in the country, Twitter's official Global Government Affairs account declared the platform would "restrict access to some content in Turkey" in response to legal requests made of the social media site. 

Turkey's presidential election — the most closely contested in years, The Washington Post reported — is set for May 14. 

"The day before a critical election in Turkey, Twitter appears to be acquiescing to the demands of the country's autocratic ruler, Erdogan, and is censoring speech on the platform," California Representative Adam Schiff tweeted in response to the news. "Given Twitter's total lack of transparency, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that Musk's promises of free speech have again fallen away."

The details of the legal request and which specific accounts were targeted were not made public. Still, Dr. Tuğrulcan Elmas, a postdoctoral researcher focusing on social media manipulation at Indiana University Bloomington, told Insider he tracked roughly a half dozen accounts posting content related to the Turkish election that had been suspended.

According to Elmas, accounts chosen for restriction were some the Turkish government has traditionally targeted because they had ties to political opposition or whistleblowers who have been critical of the country's right-wing leader, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. 

One account, that of Kurdish businessman Muhammed Yakut, was among those restricted. Yakut had previously shared information about Erdogan's governmental dealings and alleged the Turkish leader had been involved in the disappearance of his son-in-law, Turkish Minute reported last week. 

Yakut had also hinted at sharing background information before the election related to a failed 2016 coup in the country, Turkish Minute reported on Saturday, insinuating that Erdogan and his allies had staged the whole thing. 

While Yakut and other political opponents were censored, Elmas noted, one troll account known for impersonating a whistleblower named Ali Yeşildağ was not removed from Twitter — despite impersonation being against the platform's terms of service and the account posting fake nude photos of politicians in Turkey that oppose Erdogan. 

The troll account not being banned, Elmas hypothesized, is reason to believe the account may be tied to the Turkish government as a propaganda tool, used to discredit Erdogan's opponents by painting them out to be blackmailing each other.

"The fact that the government didn't censor this account is kind of evidence of a false flag operation," Elmas said.

In case anyone is wondering why free speech isn't quite as "absolute" as Musk claims, (at least when it comes to Turkey) it's likely because money is a bit more important....

https://spacenews.com/spacex-launches-turkeys-turksat-5b-communications-satellite/

• Vintage 1