The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like big companies will pull up and move if they don’t get tax breaks.  Musk did it.  And it probably happens very often; we just don’t hear about it because it’s not big news.  NFL teams do it too, right?  Seems the bigger the company the more leverage they have over local governments to provide tax breaks.  

No doubt about it.

0FBCE62B-3A74-4744-8A68-556A1A7DD661.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:54 PM, 24K PureCool said:

We have our new Twitter Freddom of Speech policy.

I am actually fine with it as I have always maintained that we shouldn't give a megaphone to people's worst thoughts, nonsense and misinformation, etc. just because they have a voice. 

Now only question is what is considered hate/negative tweets and if he can implement it properly with his current staffing levels cause the number of employees may be enough o maintain the site but not gonna be enough to implement new robust features in a timely manner. 

19 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hmm..

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The same amount of jobs as if he paid for the stadium himself.
Billionaires taking government handouts via blackmail is not something I support.  

Many segments of society use 'blackmail' to get what they want. I am sure some billionaires and even millionaires do as well. I believe the taxpayer built BC Place in 1983 for $123 million which included no land cost. In 2008 $564 million was spent on a renovation. Revenue last year was $48.7 million. Of that the BC Lions paid 

$1.3 million. That team is owned by a billionaire, Doman. I suggest the Lions don't make money and obviously BC Place, owned by the public, don't make near enough to actually pay for itself. Who is actually receiving the handouts in this example? 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Do you have a limit where enough is enough? Should Musk have stopped when he sold PayPal and retired? If you expand your rationale then won't you cap entrepreneurship which I think benefits most people? Is it Musk in particular that irks you or wealth? 

I think there's a lot to say for that.  Look at the guy who sold Myspace.  Looks pretty damn happy with his life now.

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Many segments of society use 'blackmail' to get what they want. I am sure some billionaires and even millionaires do as well. I believe the taxpayer built BC Place in 1983 for $123 million which included no land cost. In 2008 $564 million was spent on a renovation. Revenue last year was $48.7 million. Of that the BC Lions paid 

$1.3 million. That team is owned by a billionaire, Doman. I suggest the Lions don't make money and obviously BC Place, owned by the public, don't make near enough to actually pay for itself. Who is actually receiving the handouts in this example? 

I still can't believe we paid $564 million of taxpayer money for a new roof on BC Place that still leaks and is hardly ever opened...

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I can’t say as I don’t recall who was pushing for the renos in 2008 but wasn’t it part of BC’s promise for the 2010 Olympics? In any case if Doman ever threatens to move the team :lol: if he doesn’t get a new stadium I’ll drive him and the team to the airport. In the meantime I would think he is running the Lions at a loss as is BC Place.

If BC Place decides they can make more money from a different tenant then I suggest they evict the Lions. I will say again I am categorically against any owner threatening to move the team if taxpayers don’t pick up the tab for it, consequences be dammed. More Griffiths, less Katzs.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I can’t say as I don’t recall who was pushing for the renos in 2008 but wasn’t it part of BC’s promise for the 2010 Olympics? In any case if Doman ever threatens to move the team :lol: if he doesn’t get a new stadium I’ll drive him and the team to the airport. In the meantime I would think he is running the Lions at a loss as is BC Place.

If BC Place decides they can make more money from a different tenant then I suggest they evict the Lions. I will say again I am categorically against any owner threatening to move the team if taxpayers don’t pick up the tab for it, consequences be dammed. More Griffiths, less Katzs.

I guess in my convoluted way I was suggesting it was the patrons going to BC Place who were the recipients of a massive ongoing subsidy. As I said most people or groups of people play society for whatever benefit they can get. Does BC place provide a real social need? I suggest not. BC Place is part of the mosaic of a city which has such venues to advertise itself. Millionaires and billionaires and politicians and unions and blah, blah all have their hand in the rice bowl.  

6. You will not discuss politics, religion, or illegal activities.

Discussion of politics, religion, criminal activities, piracy and illegal broadcast of games will not be permitted. No links to sites containing illegal material will be tolerated.

https://forum.canucks.com/guidelines/

Thread temporarily locked.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 5