The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I like to think I'll find a unicorn one day too.

Must be my memory.

It's almost like I am sure some players have refused to play in certain cities for personal reasons, regardless of how much more they can make.

The Scottish believed in Unicorns soo much that they made it their national animal. 

Go luck on your hunt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Excellent post.  Basically there are very very few teams who would be willing to trade for Miller and extend him for 8 years.  The time to trade Miller was at the deadline so a contender could take advantage of his great cap hit for 2 playoff runs.  That ship has sailed.  The best option for Miller really is to negotiate a 7-8 year extension with Vancouver.  He may not get the $9-10 million on the open market that he thinks he will get...

Let’s face it, if Miller is even remotely willing to take a discount to compete (which I highly doubt), that team isn’t Vancouver.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's how people who run franchises have to think.  You can't run a hockey team based on rainbows and unicorns.  You plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

It's wiser to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

But you only do that on one side? 

You don't consider that the guys you bring it may not perform/stay health too? 

You don't consider if they'll fill the huge role in the room that will be left when a big presence is moved out?

The mentorship aspect (I'm sure Podz is at least somewhat motivated by what he's seeing?)

People who run franchises know how to think. That's why they didn't move JT before the deadline...they've got it assessed.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Must be my memory.

It's almost like I am sure some players have refused to play in certain cities for personal reasons, regardless of how much more they can make.

The Scottish believed in Unicorns soo much that they made it their national animal. 

Go luck on your hunt. 

They are out there for sure!!!!

Players just aren't as loyal as most people think.

• Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Miller is nearing 30 and has not yet been “paid”. His largest contract to date is the current $5.25 million one, so he hasn’t had the opportunity to secure his future post-NHL. This is his last shot, and I feel like too many people are overlooking this. 

After this contract expires he will have grossed 21 million in 4 years. What level of future security does that buy?

8 minutes ago, guntrix said:

You can’t just think of the now when signing a monster contract 7+ years in length. If this is Allvin’s way of thinking, we’re in trouble. 

Allvin has stated his way of thinking - Lets see what they do with it

Allvin knows he has some tough roster decisions to make in the months to come, with Brock Boeser needing a new contract and both J.T. Miller and Bo Horvat heading into the final years of their deals. And yes, the salary cap presents challenges.

“I you want to be a good team, there’s only so much you can pay for players. You can pick and pay one or two players a lot of money, but then you know, the team in front of you is not good.”

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about we let the GM do his job. They will talk contact. And if the numbers aren't reasonable, then he will possible trade in the offseason. 

No idea why people are hand wringing over something that is not in their control. 

Exactly! "It is what it is" is very applicable. Sure, it's a board to discuss things but some speak in certainties like it's only a negative to keep JT around. The only thing that's certain is the team will make decisions, as will the players. We can only hope it turns out favourably...there are no guarantees. Not only with JT's projected decline, but also in whatever players/assets are brought in being an instant upgrade.

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

They are out there for sure!!!!

Players just aren't as loyal as most people think.

I think players are humans and all different.

That said, if Miller wants to stay and wants big money. I think he is special enough that we seriously look at paying the man.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's how people who run franchises have to think.  You can't run a hockey team based on rainbows and unicorns.  You plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

It's wiser to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Reality is we can't keep all of Brock, Horvat, Miller ... whomever gets the greatest return plus the cap space back is for Allvin and Co to determine.    Strength down to middle wins cups.   Miller has proven durable.   Yes cap hit matters too.   There is nothing wrong with pushing it back to next TDL - or the draft if something comes up.    I don't disagree with your debate.   Who the heck knows what's the right thing to do. We can for sure enjoy it though.   And they'd be foolish not to keep the status quo next season.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

After this contract expires he will have grossed 21 million in 4 years. What level of future security does that buy?

Not enough for a hockey player of his caliber playing in modern cap era. And his agent seems to agree. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think players are humans and all different.

That said, if Miller wants to stay and wants big money. I think he is special enough that we seriously look at paying the man.

Agreed.  And, if he craters in 5-6 years, we can always trade him to the Yotes :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I dont remember Louies 100 point season. what year was that??

Also Miller makes the players around him better. Boeser, Petey, Podz now

Thats what makes him  special

He definitely never had a 100 point season but at Miller's age he had more goals.

Yea I get it Miller is better overall but let's not forget Loui wasn't that bad before his arrival.

17 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Miller is nearing 30 and has not yet been “paid”. His largest contract to date is the current $5.25 million one, so he hasn’t had the opportunity to secure his future post-NHL. This is his last shot, and I feel like too many people are overlooking this. 

Valid point.

Hopefully his agent will be able to inform him of the pros and cons of going after money. Karlsson example from @mll is a good one.

I'd add Tavares example although it's a vastly different case from Karlsson because Tavares went to a young and up and coming team whereas Karlsson went to join a team on its tail end of a run.

I still think that had the Maple Leafs reserved that 11 mil for better depth, they'd be right up there with the Florida Panthers and Colorado Avalanche.

They should have kept Kadri who was an excellent 2C and a low-end 1C already at that time as he was coming off two consecutive 30 goals seasons. He wasn't a soft player who disappears in the playoffs either. Then, Tavares came and Kadri's production was halved in a 3C role.

They would have had enough money to upgrade the bottom 6 and defense with the money left over even after paying Kadri his salary.

Miller should know that even if he joins a playoff team, there is a risk that whichever team he goes to may not have the cap space to build the depth needed to win the cup.

If he prioritizes an opportunity to win the cup with him being one of the main drivers, then he doesn't and will not have many options. In fact, re-signing with the Canucks may offer the best opportunity. He already knows the young players in this team are on the verge of breaking out (Petey, Podz, Hughes) and should be encouraged by the team's play since Bruce took over to know that there is a chance to win here in the next 5 years or so -- but only if his cap hit isn't too crazy.