The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Apr. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That's a broad generalization. 

I think your probably projecting your disappointment. 

They've been going hard. 

I shouldn’t have typed “they”. I know majority of the players have been killing it.   
my disappointment came when they lost to Detroit. For me, that was the nail in the coffin.   

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

WTF was Hunt doing on that late goal. He looked like dollar store security following around Kas before he scored. 

Maybe he thought it was a race? ... but I think he still lost lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sassbs said:

I shouldn’t have typed “they”. I know majority of the players have been killing it.   
my disappointment came when they lost to Detroit. For me, that was the nail in the coffin.   

I didn't like our game against Det either or that bad homestand. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I don't really care if it means we make the playoffs and do some damage.   Making the team worse now just "in case" isn't a reliable method either.    Sure would be nice to get these massive haul trade proposals and maybe we will. It's still a crapshoot.   Maybe we get someone.   Maybe we don't.   Maybe we get a couple firsts like Gaunce.   Hard to say.   If the absolute worst thing is we have Miller for four years, and at the end of it he walks and we gain his 5.35 back in space i can live with that.   Again maybe better then Kerfoot for one year, and a couple big maybes from TO.  Lundqvist - please folks look into him a little deeper.    Marino?  Myers is better right now and our fans aren't happy about him.   Schnieder yes good one.   But they have to actually want to do that too.   Also i get the flip side.   30 year old Miller at 8.5-9.5  5-6 .... maybe we can just be patient and ride this rodeo out.   It's possible we trade Miller and screw ourselves too.   As in take on a much worse "up and coming" player under contract.   And miss on our picks. 

I don't want a team who will be on the bubble year after year because they can't really improve much because if their cap and having an aging player who is paid an ungodly amount of money.  This season is an outlier for Milkers career, it's more likely than not that he drops back down into the 70 point range.......then what?

I firmly believe they'll not only survive losing Miller, but thrive and be able to make the moves needed to become a true contender

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Nope.  Never said that, but I'm also not gonna use absolutes like "Miller is _____".  If you had said "Miller might be _____", it's a different approach.

All we know right now is Miller IS one of the most important aspects of this team that HAS played at a .600+ pace for several months and almost 60 games.  That to me is FACT. 

Well, he has been with a few teams. That is the definition of mercenarie.

The Sedins were the opposite. 

For me Hughes and Petey is much more important. That is a fact. No one on this team bring the puck as Hughes and none is as creative as Petey. 
Miller is peaking now and for me he has stalled the development of Petey because he is in Peteys way.

The game revolved around Miller when it should have revolved around Petey. It’s Petey that is groomed to be a first C, not Miller. 

Green is the major obstacle here but I believe Millers opinions on how to play also is an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

For me Hughes and Petey is much more important. That is a fact. No one on this team bring the puck as Hughes and none is as creative as Petey. 
Miller is peaking now and for me he has stalled the development of Petey because he is in Peteys way.

The game revolved around Miller when it should have revolved around Petey. It’s Petey that is groomed to be a first C, not Miller. 

Green is the major obstacle here but I believe Millers opinions on how to play also is an issue. 

A mercenary decides where they will go based on money, Miller is on his third team, but had no say in the matter, whatsoever.

That said, I absolutely think he will be going where he gets the most money and I think he will be making a run for the border to finish his career in the US 

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Mercenaries choose what jobs they want to accept.  Miller had no choice where he went.

Or perhaps Miller is sheltering Petey enough that Petey can develop properly and not have to face the opposition's top defence pairing and best shut down centre every single night. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

A mercenary decides where they will go based on money, Miller is on his third team, but had no say in the matter, whatsoever.

That said, I absolutely think he will be going where he gets the most money and I think he will be making a run for the border to finish his career in the US 

Holy crap, what the hell is going on?  You and I posted almost the same thing about mercenaries?  Oh boy... the weekend needs to come... and quick.

Edited by HKSR

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Holy crap, what the hell is going on?  You and I posted almost the same thing about mercenaries?  Oh boy... the weekend needs to come... and quick.

I have nothing against miller other than not wanting to pay an aging, declining asset the kind of money and term he's going to want.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I have nothing against miller other than not wanting to pay an aging, declining asset the kind of money and term he's going to want.  

Which is fine.  There's clearly 2 camps of thought on Miller.  And you know I'm in the camp that I believe he will be effective for at least another 4 or 5 years, so am willing to re-sign him given that his asking price isn't outrageous.

I think the essence of all this is that some of us believe the current team is closer to contending, whereas others feel this team is 3 to 7 years from contending. 

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

6dixpg.jpg

The sky is the limit for Petey.  At his peak, he's probably gonna be a 100pt 2-way Selke level 1C.  Datsyuk comes to mind, but with a better shot.  Thinking 40 goals 60 assists type of player.  SUPERSTAR.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

This is a tough pill to swallow by missing out on another playoff. If the team can’t extend Bo or JT by the start of the season, one of them will be traded. If they don’t get signed, we can’t take a chance on losing them for nothing. And if we have another subpar year, why would they want to come back? I think Allvin has to get max value for JT at the draft and keep the Captain. 

10 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

This is a tough pill to swallow by missing out on another playoff.

That's for sure. Benning traded the future and promised playoffs this year.  I guess his plan didn't work. Miller, OEL and Garland couldn't get them in. 

7 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Im not sure reading everyone's replies here if anyone noticed that JT came back after taking a shot on the knee earlier in the game. I was surprised he came back but thats the type of player he is. He was slowed when he did come back and injuries suck at any time. I for one give him credit for even playing the third. If the team was comfortably in the playoffs or already out he doesnt play after the injury. Than you to JT for his effort. tough to play hurt.

Just my observation, when I saw hi. looked at the sky, during those times - especially, when OT was winding down.  

25 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm glad that  you have lightened up your opinion of him since earlier this year.

I still think that of his personality, but that doesn't mean I don't think he's a good player.  

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Which is fine.  There's clearly 2 camps of thought on Miller.  And you know I'm in the camp that I believe he will be effective for at least another 4 or 5 years, so am willing to re-sign him given that his asking price isn't outrageous.

I think the essence of all this is that some of us believe the current team is closer to contending, whereas others feel this team is 3 to 7 years from contending. 

Contending?  Not sure about that.   One camp is smart enough to know better.   The other camp either knows nothing about hockey or knows making the playoffs with a decent team anything can happen.   I doubt we are contenders either way.   So i'm with the know nothing just in case camp for now.   Don't want to see my uncles die before getting a chance at another cup.   Reality is ... each cycle between cups is going to take that much longer.   32 teams.   People mad or upset about this - send your postcards and comments to Bettman. 

Edit:  On average - if things were actually equal which they certainly are not (34.6%-53% taxes, less snow and or rain), each NHL team has 3 cups per century, and 3 final losses.   One final appearance every 17 or so years.    Yippee.    And inbetween, a whole lot of pain.   At least the talent level is starting to approach the 90's. 

Edited by IBatch

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's for sure. Benning traded the future and promised playoffs this year.  I guess his plan didn't work. Miller, OEL and Garland couldn't get them in. 

It's more like TG couldn't get them in. 

BB's record with the same lineup says this is indeed a playoff team... 

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

WTF was Hunt doing on that late goal. He looked like dollar store security following around Kas before he scored. 

I was yelling at the screen like what the hell are you doing!

Literally let him go at one point and tried to cover a different zone when there was no one else he should be covering. 

BB's big mistake was dressing Hunt over Burroughs especially in a physical game like yesterday. 

• Thanks 2