The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Apr. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah I'd have to agree on that. 

I was disgusted at the nyi game. And then Ana. I think one of those games was first home game at full capacity where team should have come out firing. Even BB said he had no idea why the team didn't come prepared. He didn't throw the team under the bus but he did say they talked about all the key things and players were aware of what they need to do and still came out flat and he didn't know why. 

I personally think that TG has done a really poor job of seeltting the right expectations over the years and apathy crept in through the team. 

You and I talked about records to basement dwellers. I have TG at a

.460 win rate VS BB at 0.750 which is average in this league. I think BB had to coach out a lot of bad habits that permeated in the TG era. 

The team literally no showed in 1 out of 3 games under TG. We see more like 1 in 10 now. At the end of the day, like you mentioned, the 2 loses above along with that really poor homestand before TDL did us in. It's really unfortunate because the guys have been playing good hockey but they almost had to play perfect hockey for 5 months because of the hole that TG dug. I'm hoping this experience now sets the new standard for the team showing up ready to play. 

I don't think anyone here will argue that if the team stays intact next season with BB returning, they will make the playoffs. Question is, I don't know how much change will be made. 

I agree the team is a playoff team next year as long as Spencer can provide a good solid 20 game of relief for demko. We saw this season demko being burnt out before the season even ended. He's not quite ready to take quite this heavy workload. However I still think changes needs to be made. While I would love for some playoff hockey I much rather see us be a cup contender rather than just a playoff contender. The current version of the canucks while good enough to make the playoffs.. I dont see them being good enough in a 7 game series against Colorado St Louis Tampa Florida Carolina.

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Big bodied D are a thing of the past, what you need for the current NHL are mobile D who can skate and move the puck. I really the Dermott move, I think he's got good potential to play up and down the lineup. We have two  good skating puck moving Ds in Abby, one a LHD, the other a RHD, both are rookies. I have a feeling that one or both will push for roster spots next year. The cupboard is not bare.

This is why I liked seeing the Marino rumours. Young guy who can skate and play D. A lot like a young Tanev. Yes please.

That said, we could still use a defensive guy or two back there with some size and snarl to clear the crease and paste guys in to the boards. But they need to be able to skate decently as well.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is why I liked seeing the Marino rumours. Young guy who can skate and play D. A lot like a young Tanev. Yes please.

That said, we could still use a defensive guy or two back there with some size and snarl to clear the crease and paste guys in to the boards. But they need to be able to skate decently as well.

A right handed pairing of Manson, Marino, and Schenn alongside Hughes, OEL, and Dermott is Carolina level of defense. 

I’d like for us to move Boeser and Myers to accomplish this. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

That was our owner’s call, right?  

blame th5e Ottawa loss on Aqua

the dude is short sighted

revenue for 2 playoff games lost for one regular season game

oh, and the rushed rebuild

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

A right handed pairing of Manson, Marino, and Schenn alongside Hughes, OEL, and Dermott is Carolina level of defense. 

I’d like for us to move Boeser and Myers to accomplish this. 

I'd like Lyubushkin personally (if we can also move Poolman)

Would love Manson but think he's going to cost to much (and is older/less of a long term fit).

Would love to get a young D in return for Miller as well.

Hughes, Marino

OEL, trade/Lyubushkin

Dermott, trade/Lyubushkin

Burroughs, Schenn

Now THAT is a deep, affordable, quality defense.

59 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Does this look like a guy who wants out of Van? 

4C05B48A-F284-400F-A045-75532363E309.jpeg

looks like a guy getting his picture taken on his daughter's birthday

doesn't say anything one way or the other about his thoughts on staying in Vancouver

"Yes Ma'am" says more

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, lmm said:

doesn't say anything one way or the other about his thoughts on staying in Vancouver

"Yes Ma'am" says more

His girl is four, so starting kindergarten and making attachments here.  If he’s staying here year round, then I can see him making this his home for his family.  Visit where he’s from, and stay here.  

Do Allvin and JR want Miller?  Our owner does.  So I see Miller signing 8 x 8.5

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Reality ... well the reality is Sutter was the biggest loss of games.   Go look at Vegas and see what they've had to endure.   Like an entire season without Miller or EP or Demko really.   They've barely had any games with all their best players.   And i'm happy for them!  As in hope they don't make it lol.  Karma.   Have no business  being that good that soon. 

The Canucks had over 500 man games lost.  Even if Sutter played the entire season, they'd still have well over 400 games lost... still among the most in the entire NHL.  

Nevertheless, the whole point was that mll was disregarding the wins due to the coach bump but counting all the games lost when covid wiped out half the roster including 4 out of our top 5 goalies in the system and 3 of the top 4 scorers.

That's like taking Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Vasilevskiy, Elliott, and their 3rd and 5th string goalies out and telling them to win against Florida, Colorado, and Carolina.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holy crap!  There’s a lot of Linden in Miller.  Tough as hell.  Off the charts character and compete.

I think we sign him.  

I don’t know. I kind of see more of Ryan Kesler in him. Kesler would go down hard on plays, then be fine shortly after. And kind of the same type of Swiss Army knife player. 
Honestly, looking at Miller’s career, I’m of the mind we should sell high on this guy. He likely has 4 more serviceable years in him, and all likely to be years in decline compared to this year. We don’t want to have this guy on the books for $8M a season for any serious length, especially if we can get a bunch for him in the summer. He’s fun to watch when he’s hot, and somewhat whiney when he’s not, and he’s been great for the Canucks, but hopefully management knows when it’s time to make the right move with him.

Edited by Slegr
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holy crap!  There’s a lot of Linden in Miller.  Tough as hell.  Off the charts character and compete.

I think we sign him.  

That's the attitude he's instilling in our young core.  It's invaluable. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lmm said:

"Yes Ma'am" says more

If his daughter has made friends and wants to stay, coming from a dad of 2 girls around the same age, "yes ma'am" is referring to his daughter.  Not his wife.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

That's the attitude he's instilling in our young core.  It's invaluable. 

Miller has been helping Pods a lot too.  Wonder if his wife is friends with Pods’ wife?  Likely the wives do stuff together.  

Maybe we are best to build around our three star centres?  Miller, Bo, Petey.

Interchange the wingers?  Bess and Garland gone?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller has been helping Pods a lot too.  Wonder if his wife is friends with Pods’ wife?  Likely the wives do stuff together.  

Maybe we are best to build around our three star centres?  Miller, Bo, Petey.

Interchange the wingers?  Bess and Garland gone?  

I'm confident Miller has had an impact on Podkolzin's game.  He will do the same if Klimovich joins the team in the near future too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm confident Miller has had an impact on Podkolzin's game.  He will do the same if Klimovich joins the team in the near future too.

Who will be the wingers?

Miller

Bo

Petey

Pods, Hogs, Pearson, 

Need three more.