The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Apr. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s no doubt he plays a big role. As he should being one of our top paid guys.

Ask yourself how many times Myers has had a clean look at the net in important situations and shot it wide?

How many times did we need a key clear and he just throws it away to the other team?

How many times in the final minutes did he get caught up ice or out of position that lead to a goal against?  

I know no defenseman is perfect but he has definitely earned the nickname chaos giraffe. In key moments instead of bringing a calming presence he’s the one running round out of position and losing the puck. If the goal is to be a playoff team those kinds of plays will lose series for you.

At 7.4% of the cap vs what he can bring, I'm looking at other ways to improve this team. We technically could replace all the AHL guys on the roster with actual NHL players and see what bruce can do in a full year

Super curious to see what direction management takes this off-season, Hopefully jim's OG status gets of good value in trades for once

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As of right now the Canucks are drafting at #15

A history of players at 15 show great company such as Sakic, Kovalev, Karlsson, Bossy, Macinnis, and Pulock

And even if Canucks drop (which they always do :lol:) Barzal fell to #16 

Just now, Warhippy said:

As of right now the Canucks are drafting at #15

A history of players at 15 show great company such as Sakic, Kovalev, Karlsson, Bossy, Macinnis, and Pulock

Add Larkin and even our own JT Miller. We’ll get a good player no doubt.

Gotta wonder where we’d be at if Benning didn’t make the OEL/Garland trade. We’d have a young stud like Guenther almost ready and another top 10 pick to fill some holes. Not to mention an extra 12 million in cap space.

This is where cutting corners gets you. Ownership needs to stay the f away from hockey decisions and let people that know what they’re doing build a team.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s no doubt he plays a big role. As he should being one of our top paid guys.

Ask yourself how many times Myers has had a clean look at the net in important situations and shot it wide?

How many times did we need a key clear and he just throws it away to the other team?

How many times in the final minutes did he get caught up ice or out of position that lead to a goal against?  

I know no defenseman is perfect but he has definitely earned the nickname chaos giraffe. In key moments instead of bringing a calming presence he’s the one running round out of position and losing the puck. If the goal is to be a playoff team those kinds of plays will lose series for you.

That's not just Myers, that's a whole team issue.  I've never seen or organization so guilty of this, spanning generations

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree with most of your recommendations .    Not sure if Garland will be kept, as we need to get bigger but he certainly can skate, stickhandle and draws penalties - aside from scoring.  So he's a maybe.

Also, although Bo is one of our top players, don't be surprised if JR trades him if the mgmt group is truly intent on changing the leadership & culture of this team.  That would not surprise me.  Everyone else is up for review and possible trade.

Wouldnt realy surprize me either if they go a different direction in leadership and trade Bo.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

What an absolute snipe by Pettersson. He needs to start shooting more next year. That shot has 50 goal potential.

Said the same thing last night.   He needs to be more selfish and reduce those low probability "Sedin Like - sharing passes" and have more killer instinct.   Throughout this entire season, he's wasted dozens of opportunities trrying to be "a nice guy" - all for nothing.   I hope that changes because that was one thing that drove me nuts watching the Sedins and we don't want another decade of that frustration.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's not just Myers, that's a whole team issue.  I've never seen or organization so guilty of this, spanning generations

Drafting and developing has been the main contributor to that.

The guys you throw out in key situations to shut things down should be guys that you’ve drafted and developed on your farm.

They already know what their role will be at the next level and they spend 3-5 years perfecting it down on the farm. That’s what good teams do. See LA and the Ontario Reign, or Tampa and Syracuse.

Not since the Manitoba Moose where we developed guys like Burrows, Kesler, and Hansen have we had that kind of team building.

The good news is I’m pretty optimistic about what’s going on in Abby right now. But we desperately need more draft picks and prospects down there to start developing now so that these guys are ready when our core is ready to contend.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Haha same for me though I was willing to give the kid a chance but there were already warning signs on him the next year that he wasn't really improving after he got drafted. 

Irony here is that the Juolevi pick would have been negated if Benning didn't trade for Baetrschi the year prior and used the 2nd round pick for Rasmus Andersson. Now I know people will tell me there's no guarantee Benning was going to pick Andersson. But, you have to admit, how unlucky Benning is for the 2nd round pick he gave away panning out better than what we could have imagined. :lol:

Imagine Ramus Andersson playing beside Hughes.   He has 48 points, +28 this year!  He has size, grit, azzhole personality, R shot and is good defensively.  Surprising good stats.  

79 4 44 48 28 26
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Imagine Ramus Andersson playing beside Hughes.   He has 48 points, +28 this year!  He has size, grit, azzhole personality, R shot and is good defensively.  Surprising good stats.  

79 4 44 48 28 26

I mean there’s lots of examples where Benning could have drafted a good defenseman and he failed.

Juolevi over Sergachev. Hague taken the pick after Kole Lind in 2017. Romanov taken a pick after Woo.

Hell he even had one in Forsling and traded him.

Lets just hope he left us with one last gift and Jurmo, Myrenberg, or Truscott turn into studs. Still hopeful for Woo, but I think he projects more as a physical bottom pair guy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

79 4 44 48 28 26

Imagine Tanev in our top 4.  Imagine Toffoli in our top 6.  Jb made serious blunders here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

What an absolute snipe by Pettersson. He needs to start shooting more next year. That shot has 50 goal potential.

25 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Said the same thing last night.   He needs to be more selfish and reduce those low probability "Sedin Like - sharing passes" and have more killer instinct.   Throughout this entire season, he's wasted dozens of opportunities trrying to be "a nice guy" - all for nothing.   I hope that changes because that was one thing that drove me nuts watching the Sedins and we don't want another decade of that frustration.

Was at the game last night with a good view of that goal, it gave me goosebumps. No hesitation on his part, he just walked into the middle of the ice and let it fly. It was nice and yeah he needs to do it more. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Imagine Tanev in our top 4.  Imagine Toffoli in our top 6.  Jb made serious blunders here.

Yes, Uncle Jim was not the "swiftest" when it came to player negotiations & signings - was he? Letting Toffoli walk in favor of keeping Jake "The Ripper' for a measly $1.5M more, was one of his dumbest "Jimbo blunders" amongst all the others and should have been cause alone for his dismisal by Aqua-Lini instead of handing him another two year extension last year with that AHL Calibre coach.    Aqua-lini should be held responsible for alot of this teams miseries over the last decade.  Lets not forget that!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Hmmm... yeah maybe, but who else in this team actually can beef it up physically...

We need 2 big physical defensive defence men instead. 

Agree, we need two big physical defensemen and one who has some offensive.

My friend who is a Detroit fan says Myers is 6'6" who plays like is 5'6".  He should play harder like Schenn, but I guess it's the personality of the player.  

I think Meyers needs to work harder with his skills coach.  Misses the net, no good passes in the offensive zone. 

Canucks need to sign Nickolas Deslauriers this summer.  We need a Luke Schenn on the 4th line.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean there’s lots of examples where Benning could have drafted a good defenseman and he failed.

Juolevi over Sergachev. Hague taken the pick after Kole Lind in 2017. Romanov taken a pick after Woo.

Hell he even had one in Forsling and traded him.

Lets just hope he left us with one last gift and Jurmo, Myrenberg, or Truscott turn into studs. Still hopeful for Woo, but I think he projects more as a physical bottom pair guy.

Young studs, imagine Sergachev, Hague, Romanov, Hughes on the Canucks blueline.  

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Yup, sure would've been nice for JR and Alvin to have more of a clean slate and extra cap going into next season that would have happened if Benning had simply allowed LE, Roussel, and Beagle's contracts to run out. But he just had to, or the owner had to, have just one more "we can turn this team around quickly" screw the future re-furbish.

One thing I will never forgive Benning for, and am reminded of it every time we play Calgary.  How he indirectly handed Calgary Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli. Three important pieces in their success. 

Markstrom he should have seen the writing on the wall earlier and looked to trade him....to an eastern conference team.  "But but but he didn't know if Demko could handle the load".....that is why he is paid the big bucks and we are not. He is closer to the players, its his job, and his staff, as professionals to evaluate that talent. Hopefully a better position than a hockey message board. And early enough to make a difference. Their hand wringing about it too long meant we not only lost him for nothing..but to our closest rival. Unforgivable

Tanev should have been re-signed.  Management should have realized that he brought more than his on ice work to the team. He was a key "team culture" player.  Even if they thought if they gave him the 4.5 x 4 that Calgary paid, was an over-payment, he brought so much more as far as team chemistry.  The GM should have been more aware of that. And barring a deal, if you don't think you can afford him, a trade to the eastern conference would have been prudent.

Toffoli is an even more indirect acquisition from us, but it still was put in motion by the topsy turvy way JB managed the team.  The lack of communication with both Tanev and Toffoli (and Stecher) did not help.  Toffoli should have remained a Canuck. Never gone to Montreal in the first place. Who then had no qualms sending him back out west to Calgary.

Yet another missing value+ you missed.....besides the extra 12 mill in cap, and the extra high picks, the return we could have gotten for Marky, and/or Tanev.  And the fact we lost Madden and a second round pick as well.

Yes some will say there was a timing issue. And the unexpected flat cap. And other excuses for JB.  Sorry but the buck stops with him. Its why he is in that privileged position. He has to find a way.  The utter lack of communication was just a symptom of the kind of confused "day to day" management style of the Benning Weisbrod regime. 

I'm just glad he was too dim to realize his mistake in re-signing Green.  Another "great" evaluation of talent by him.  If he'd have gotten Boudreau in here sooner, we may never be rid of him.

Ultimately it falls on ownership.  They keep GMs beyond when they should and allow them to make desperate moves in a failed effort  to save their jobs. this leaves a mess for the next management to have to clean up. It always sets the team back and limits the opportunity for new management to make the moves they would like.  

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Ultimately it falls on ownership.  They keep GMs beyond when they should and allow them to make desperate moves in a failed effort  to save their jobs. this leaves a mess for the next management to have to clean up. It always sets the team back and limits the opportunity for new management to make the moves they would like.  

Those bubble playoffs were actually the worst thing to happen to us.

We should have missed that season and Benning would not have kept his job.

A new GM is brought in after that season and so many mistakes could have been avoided.

• Vintage 1