The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Apr. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Priority #1 this summer for Allvin, get rid of Myers. 

Agent of pure chaos, the way he plays is not condusive to team success. Makes simple plays hard asf, screens his own goalie, total disregard for defensive hockey, and cannot seem to stay discipline in playing a team game. 

Get rid of him. Bring in someone who is competent at playing their actual position. 

Hmmm... yeah maybe, but who else in this team actually can beef it up physically...

We need 2 big physical defensive defence men instead. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's got 26 points in 76 games including 14 goals.

Don't think he has anything to learn in the minors. 

Which puts him at a 0.34 ppg.  That's nowhere near his potential.

Podkolzin has the potential to be a difference maker but he also has to develop his game and getting the opportunity to play those big minutes while chasing a Calder Cup can only be beneficial for his development and the team's.  It's going to allow him to take another step and it will help the team if he can be trusted in a larger role earlier.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Darius said:

The Kings surprised me, I thought they were a couple years away.  Aren’t they running with Edler and Stecher on D.. 

Tbh if we had not started the season so ridiculously poor, we would have had to worry about them at all....

We would easily have been in a playoffs position... Hopefully this is a learning experience to our top players not to take an extended vacation, but be ready to go at the start of the season..

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Folks that wanted Horvat gone after he was slow to recover from Covid, with the “C” given to Miller….well, perhaps some of them now realize that yeah, he might not give you the entertaining sound bites post game, but he’s a huge part of the bedrock foundation of this team. Team has looked shaky without him.  A foundation with Bo, Demko, Petey, Hughes and Podz is damned exciting moving forward to me. And I’m still bullish on Hoglander. And hopefully Rathbone is ready to push for a roster spot next year.

I’ll watch a decent amount of playoff hockey, but won’t get back heavily into hockey thoughts until the draft, and then camp. Perhaps Rutherford and his student might do something notable this Summer which will make me hop back on these boards. Have a great Spring and Summer my fellow Canuck fans.

Bo is the heart of this team.  This team is lost without him.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

47 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Perhaps good timing Bo got injured when he did. Gives management and fans some games to see how the team looks without Bo. Not good. Missed Pearson as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I want Bo to go.

Not because I don't want him on the team but Bo Horvat is 27 years old, he deserves to be in a winning organization. He's probably half way through his career and he's only had 2 playoff appearances. 

By the time this team rebuilds or retools to be competitive he will probably be in his 30's. It's not fair to Bo that the organization has failed him specifically Jim Benning and his management team. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Agent of pure chaos, the way he plays is not condusive to team success. Makes simple plays hard asf, screens his own goalie, total disregard for defensive hockey, and cannot seem to stay discipline in playing a team game. 

Get rid of him. Bring in someone who is competent at playing their actual position. 

I don't entirely agree with your assessment of his play, but I do think it's a contract they should try to move. He's not worth what he's paid.

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Absolutely.....could not agree with this more. The negatives outweigh the positives based on how much money he ties up. Look at how much Schenn brings for about $5 million less. Rutherford has won cups with maybe 1 high paid defenseman and a bunch of others on value contracts that have fit the system. If Hughes and OEL are your big ticket guys none of the others can be making $3 - $4 million per season. 

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

That's a wrap up... it was fun from the time Bruce came in, and looking forward to next season.

Petey found his mojo again,

Huggy has become a far better defender + his offensive play making instincts are off the charts. He'll own every dman record by the time he retires, if not already by the time his contract is up...

Demko has been good, but ran out of gas,

Miller had a fantastic season.

Bo getting over 30 goals and still the best F.O. man at the club

Podz becoming a proper NHL player

These have been the positives to this season... Maybe Garland too, but........

We need more size and physicality up front at well... This team would not stand a chance against Flames in a play off round... Would be battered and taken apart.

Bo and Miller can cope, and maybe Podz too, and Lamikko, but the rest are simply gonna get destroyed.

Need at least 1 if not two sluggers, who can play to be brought in... DesLauriers or similar is a must... 

Defence wise we need to get tougher/Bigger as well. 2 big RHD defence first would be top of my wish list for next year together with DesLauriers would be my wish list + 1 more physical fwd with speed... lots to ask for, and its gonna cost, but as long as Petey, Huggy or Demko + 1 of either BO/Miller isn't part of any deal I am game.

Need to move forward now....

I think Schenns play has been a positive also

• Cheers 1

Boeser - 0 pts., 0 shots, 0 hits, -2, 21:37 TOI....priority one to dump him this off season. I literally don't recall him ever going to the net this season....perimeter, soft, slow and lazy. Great hair and a nice guy though.

It remains to be seen what the return would be, other teams may bite, but they won't empty the cupboard like some are hoping, IMHO.

.....and that big stork on defense also has to go. 1 goal season lol....if we can fetch a 3rd or even a 4th for that 8 foot tall dork of a midget, the gained cap space can be better used for someone who can actually defend.

GMJB handcuffed us with way too much money in the bottom 6, (Beagle, Roussel, Name Withheld) then he burned us again with his exit prize of putting too much in to the defense (friendly giant, friendly swede, useless Tucker).

We're stuck with OEL (I actually like him though, especially when deployed properly), but 57 Shades of Chaos boy has got to go.

Hopefully coach BB (et al) returns for next season...he took a team that was mentally ruined by a mediocre, minor league coach, and then the way he turned it around, it's nothing short of miraculous.....he will rinse the final remnants of TG's kumbaya and terrible systems out of this team next year, and lead us in to the playoffs, with JR and PA providing the tools.

I disagree with all the hate directed at Myers. You need to put the salary aside. Our D would be much worse without him. I double checked and he has the best +- on the team at +16. Schenn is next at +13 then Hughes at +7.

Like all our D, Myers has the odd gaff but he is solid defensively all things considered. I hope we keep him next season. Plus we need his size and he is a good skater.

Edited by sockeye
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, sockeye said:

I disagree with all the hate directed at Myers. You need to put the salary aside. Our D would be much worse without him. I double checked and he has the best +- on the team at +16. Schenn is next at +13 then Hughes at +7.

Like all our D, Myers has the odd gaff but he is solid defensively all things considered. I hope we keep him next season. Plus we need his size and he is a good skater.

We can’t have both OEL and Myers.  OEL (contract) is impossible to trade without huge amounts of sugar, so he’s staying.  Myers goes.  We likely add a bit of sugar and retain some too, but he’s the guy out.

OEL can carry his partner

Hughes carries his partner

Myers needs to be carried.  He’s got to go.

We need to move Myers and Miller.  Plus one of Boeser or Garland.  

9 minutes ago, sockeye said:

In a hard cap world that's almost impossible. Everyone's value is based on their contribution relative to their salary. This is the problem the previous management team failed to grasp, it's not enough if they are the players you need or are good players but if they properly fit into the cap structure of the team.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, sockeye said:

The problem is, we can't put the salary aside, it's here to stay. Yes, of course our D would be "much worse without him", IF someone didn't slide in to his vacant spot.....but there are replacements to be found, perhaps with some cap savings as well. 

3 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

The problem is, we can't put the salary aside, it's here to stay. Yes, of course our D would be "much worse without him", IF someone didn't slide in to his vacant spot.....but there are replacements to be found, perhaps with some cap savings as well. 

I'm not sure why people think Myers would be hard to move.  He's a workhorse, can play in all situations, has size, plays physical, can skate and his salary isn't nearly as bad as people think.

They'd have a tough time replacing him for cheaper

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2