The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Young Stars Classic to return + Canucks off-season key dates

Rate this topic

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Young Stars Classic to return + Canucks off-season key dates

Other league-wide key dates

• 10 May                 Draft lottery
  • 29 May - 4 June   Draft combine in Buffalo
  • 1 July                   1st buy-out window opens
  • 2 July                   Deadline for 1st team elected salary arbitration notification
  • 7-8 July                2022 NHL Draft
  • 11 July                 Deadline for qualifying offers
  • 12 July                 End of the 1st buyout window.  RFA/UFAs may start talking to other teams.  Last day to sign an 8-year contract.
  • 13 July                 Free agency.  Players may sign their QOs.  
  • 17 July                 Deadline for player-elected arbitration notification.  2nd team-elected arbitration notification starts
  • 18 July                 Deadline for 2nd team-elected arbitration notification
  • 22 July                 Qualifying offers expire automatically
  • 27 July - 13 Aug  Arbitration hearings

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 3

On 5/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, Baggins said:

You actually think things may have turned out differently? I don't. Bouda benched, and even scratched, Hogs for inconsistent play and poor defensive play. He did the same to Podz. He even scratched veterans for lackluster play. JV's big problem was JV, not his coaches. He had ample opportunity to improve, yet he struggled to even show up in good enough shape to pass all the fitness tests in camp. Right up to his final camp here. JV lacked the desire and commitment to improve. He had no drive. You'd be hard pressed to find an NHL coach that says, "I don't care if he shows up in shape, puts in a consistent effort, or plays well defensively. As long as he scores an occasional goal we're happy with him".

Look at how much Podz improved this season. There's all the talk about him being first on last off in practice and praise from teammates for his work ethic. He has that drive and desire in him and it showed. His play late season was a remarkable shift from early to midseason. At both ends of the ice. JV never once showed that kind of drive or desire. 

JV basically indicated himself he wasn't sure what the issue was when he was sent down the first time. I think if he'd been coached better, even benched, but had a clearer understanding of how he was expected to play that would have helped him a great deal. I'm not going to say that JV wouldn't have benefitted from the treatment you're indicating Podkolzin had under Boudreau this year (I didn't watch the games, just the highlights). Being in better systems certainly would have helped his game overall regardless.

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

Because he's an idiot. Kassian said the same thing - I don't know what they want from me. Yet each coach, for both players, had been saying the same thing quite publicly about year after year after year. You don't think they were ever talked to directly? Or during player exit interviews? Nonsense. They were just immature idiots that thought showing up was all that was needed. Both were told play physical, put in a consistant effort at both ends, and the offense will come as a result. Number one was consistant effort. Neither had the work ethic in them to actually do it. Jake failed at least one of the fitness tests at every camp. He went out clubbing during a pandemic just before going into the playoff bubble. He's just a serial idiot. I don't think he ever made that shift from it being a fun game in junior to it being an actual job in the NHL. Kassian finally straightened out when the reality that his career was likely over hit him and it sank in - work or lose your career. JV was benched and scratched. As was Kassian. It made no difference. Junior came easy to these guys and they never developed a work ethic. I'd wager they both thought the coaches were picking on them for no reason when the truth was they weren't putting in the work needed to succeed. 

Same problem Palmu had, and I believe Dahlen had some issue with it as well, so trying to imply that that was the case because JV was an idiot is pretty stupid IMO, not that I'm going to say he was the smartest guy or anything. I don't think there's any point arguing with you about it though since you're clearly set in your mind. Doesn't even matter anyways. Think what you want.

4 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

Same problem Palmu had, and I believe Dahlen had some issue with it as well, so trying to imply that that was the case because JV was an idiot is pretty stupid IMO, not that I'm going to say he was the smartest guy or anything. I don't think there's any point arguing with you about it though since you're clearly set in your mind. Doesn't even matter anyways. Think what you want.

JV showed repeatedly he was an idiot. One would think showing up in poor shape, and being sent to the AHL as a result, would have been a strong wake-up call. It wasn't. He continued to show up at camp and fail fitness tests. If that's not stupid I don't know what is. Kid had million$ of reasons to put in the work and just didn't have the desire, drive, or work ethic to do it. To me that's just plain stupid. It translated to his effort on the ice as well. Henrik, who never criticized teammates publicly, saying "these young guys need to realize this is a job now. They need to show up ready to work hard whether it's a game or a practise" should have also been a wake-up call. He said that after JV showed up to practise so hungover he had to leave the ice. So yes, JV is an idiot. I'm not alone in that opinion. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 2:17 AM, Baggins said:

Because he's an idiot. Kassian said the same thing - I don't know what they want from me. Yet each coach, for both players, had been saying the same thing quite publicly about year after year after year. You don't think they were ever talked to directly? Or during player exit interviews? Nonsense. They were just immature idiots that thought showing up was all that was needed. Both were told play physical, put in a consistant effort at both ends, and the offense will come as a result. Number one was consistant effort. Neither had the work ethic in them to actually do it. Jake failed at least one of the fitness tests at every camp. He went out clubbing during a pandemic just before going into the playoff bubble. He's just a serial idiot. I don't think he ever made that shift from it being a fun game in junior to it being an actual job in the NHL. Kassian finally straightened out when the reality that his career was likely over hit him and it sank in - work or lose your career. JV was benched and scratched. As was Kassian. It made no difference. Junior came easy to these guys and they never developed a work ethic. I'd wager they both thought the coaches were picking on them for no reason when the truth was they weren't putting in the work needed to succeed. 

To be fair remember when Torts was here and Burrows said that he didn't even speak individually to players until like after Christmas? I'm sure many coaches have many ways of doing things. Your hope they'd be invested but in the end we never know.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, MikeyD said:

To be fair remember when Torts was here and Burrows said that he didn't even speak individually to players until like after Christmas? I'm sure many coaches have many ways of doing things. Your hope they'd be invested but in the end we never know.

What rookies/youth was Torts dealing with here? He said the team was old, stale, and in need of youth. Willie D was hired because of his record developing young players. Green was also very used to working with youth. The notion that neither talked to JV about his shortcomings and inconsistant play, when both talked about it repeatedly publicly, is rather hard to believe. Even Benning talked about what they wanted from Jake. How could Jake possibly be clueless to it?