The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I think people got so dramatic and wrapped up in “Jim Benning” talk that they’re convinced the current team is trash… when there’s actually the bones of a pretty darn good team.  It’s okay to admit it.  He’s not getting re hired.

Yes, people do get caught up in the idea that if a guy is fired, then nothing he ever did was any good. I'm not a great Benning fan, but the guy made some pretty good moves that are paying dividends right now. The team that went 32-15-10 to finish the season is pretty much the same roster that Benning built. The end of Benning was the hideous July when Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and Stecher walked because he ran out of time. Not a good look.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

JR literally has not said this. We're not one of the better teams in the league and we're not even a playoff team yet, let alone a contender.

He said we are a team that relies on our goaltending too much and won 50% of our games because of our goaltending. He said we are a couple of good pieces away from being just a playoff team. JR and Allvin both have said we have work to do to build a contender.

The organization lacked structure and it's slowly being fixed. They've said the team lacks structure and that will slowly be fixed. It's been reported that they didn't like some of the moves the previous regime made. We weren't in the right 'cycle' to be making some of the moves we were making.

They've said they have to do a lot of work to build structure, depth and cap space. They have to bring in more 20-25 year old players because we don't have quality young players pushing for spots. They have to build value within the cap and build more asset value.

Like I said, Benning's weaknesses were communication, asset management, time management, and strategic direction.

Even if we made the playoffs with him this season, I don't have any confidence that the past management group would be able to build cap value, assets, or structure to make us a contender.

I had confidence when Linden was the president because he wanted to do a proper rebuild, but the management group backstabbed him to rush the rebuild and failed epically. In hindsight, Linden was right.

I believe I read somewhere that statistically, the previous regime was the worst tenure in Canucks history.

That's actually pretty funny, everyone knew all that long before JR and co. showed up, even quite a few here on the boards knew the team that hobbled out of the 2012 season was a $hit show that was broken beyond belief and no depth, that even now still affects this team. 

However despite the percentage of Canuck fans who are as clueless and dumb as a post when it comes to seeing the big picture surrounding the Canadian hockey market, had any brains at all, would have realized what an uphill battle we were about to try to climb with the proverbial one hand tied behind the back in the form of our even worse clueless government chasing business out of Canada with it's pathetic tax laws and a lot better destinations that players actually want to go, not have to be seriously overpaid to go. 

And then there's us, Vancouver, what a joke, possibly the worst bush league media is on the planet and classless fans throwing a jersey on the ice or rioting, not to mention acting like lil kids, actually lil kids act better most of the time.

And as far as Linden goes, yet another rookie trying to fill a role he just couldn't fill, again thanks to no experience as a director of hockey ops but yet there he was. Awesome guy and player BUT not an experienced hockey ops guy in the least.

Lack of structure? Omg that would have meant Aquaman actually hiring people who were seasoned professionals for a change that took him all this time to get it through his head that cheaping out never works, finally he got it, I actually was quite amazed he brought in JR and BB. 

In the end, JB made their job a lot easier with handing over a team that beat some of the top teams in the league who were/are a cpl of upgrades to be a real contender year in and year out for the first time in franchise history IF they toughen up this roster with hard-nosed skilled guys, I doubt it and we'll stay in the same old b.s. of trying hard for a one trick pony shot at a cup. 

Nothing new here YET, they can say all the right things but if they don't have the balls to tell the status quo to suck it up and let them BUILD a team for a change. Get used to a lot more of close, but never winning $hit.

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes, people do get caught up in the idea that if a guy is fired, then nothing he ever did was any good. I'm not a great Benning fan, but the guy made some pretty good moves that are paying dividends right now. The team that went 32-15-10 to finish the season is pretty much the same roster that Benning built. The end of Benning was the hideous July when Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and Stecher walked because he ran out of time. Not a good look.

Nice to see brains in action for a change! Good on you sir, nowhere near enough out there!

9 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Gillis and Gilman’s “asset management” directly led to the past decade’s miserable record. 

Gillis' weakness was the draft, I believe he's owned up to that afterwards through some radio interviews locally.

Sure Benning started with a bare cupboard and an aging core, I also used to share that point of view, but through time I realized he just didn't have the capacity to follow a strategy and build his assets and cap value properly.

There was absolutely no reason for us not to do a full on rebuild from 2014 to 2016. I lost respect for Benning once he backstabbed Linden, who wanted to do a proper rebuild.

The past decade is on Benning and his management team, no one else.

40 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Gillis' weakness was the draft, I believe he's owned up to that afterwards through some radio interviews locally.

Sure Benning started with a bare cupboard and an aging core, I also used to share that point of view, but through time I realized he just didn't have the capacity to follow a strategy and build his assets and cap value properly.

There was absolutely no reason for us not to do a full on rebuild from 2014 to 2016. I lost respect for Benning once he backstabbed Linden, who wanted to do a proper rebuild.

The past decade is on Benning and his management team, no one else.

The last sentence you said there was the biggest bit of b.s. I've ever read since "burrows do we really need him?"

The only thing that's on JB in a negative way is actually feeling any pressure from a lot local fans and media who don't know much except to make noise like talking (clueless) heads.

Who, by the way, have been up in arms about even a thought it mention of the word re-build, the word re-tool had people freaking out let rebuild. So let me clue you in on this fun fact, THIS is not new! At least JB tried to build a team as the old contracts came off instead of the same old BS of buying a roster for the umpteenth time that fails due to selling the farm, again, as usual. 

So where we stand now, if management actually has a set of balls big enough to ignore fans, bush league media and goofy colour commentator's, we might actually have a team that has more than a one year window of a cup every 10-20 years.

This is getting kind of old no?

• Cheers 3

35 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

The last sentence you said there was the biggest bit of b.s. I've ever read since "burrows do we really need him?"

The only thing that's on JB in a negative way is actually feeling any pressure from a lot local fans and media who don't know much except to make noise like talking (clueless) heads.

Who, by the way, have been up in arms about even a thought it mention of the word re-build, the word re-tool had people freaking out let rebuild. So let me clue you in on this fun fact, THIS is not new! At least JB tried to build a team as the old contracts came off instead of the same old BS of buying a roster for the umpteenth time that fails due to selling the farm, again, as usual. 

So where we stand now, if management actually has a set of balls big enough to ignore fans, bush league media and goofy colour commentator's, we might actually have a team that has more than a one year window of a cup every 10-20 years.

This is getting kind of old no?

Good teams sell off picks and prospects at the deadline to push themselves towards being a stronger contender. Weak teams sell off assets for picks and prospects to build a stronger future.

JB was doing the former to desperately make the playoffs with a borderline playoff team that took 8 years to build and consistently finished near the bottom of the league.

Thanks for proving my point.

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Good teams sell off picks and prospects at the deadline to push themselves towards being a stronger contender. Weak teams sell off assets for picks and prospects to build a stronger future.

JB was doing the former to desperately make the playoffs with a borderline playoff team that took 8 years to build and consistently finished near the bottom of the league.

Thanks for proving my point.

No you actually proved my point but your mistaken on the first part, good teams don't sell off all their assets for a roster that's good but with no depth unless your JB trying to ice a team that's putting butts in the stands with what he inherited, which was absolute chit if memory serves you correctly and there wasn't any long contracts that players just decided to walk away from, why? Everyone knows you have to be overpaid to play here unless your super young and haven't been snapped up by the big teams. 

As the last ones came off, he started to keep the picks and develop them, like any team, some worked out and some didn't. JV no, Bo yes, Podz yes, OJ no, Podz yes, Demko yes..

And that's not counting the maybe's like Hogs so he did his best with what he had and that's not even starting on Loungo and his -3 mil for us for us right up to this season...Then covid On top of that so no 10 mil to help sign Toffi and upgrade a roster spot or 2

Before that, at the time, he had to keep us at relevant with re-signing the Twins to pass on leadership skills to Bo etc, which may or may not have done under different circumstances. 

Personally I think it was a big mistake myself but it worked in the short term, always people wanted to see them and sold out games. 

Actually as far as JB is concerned, I have a lot of respect for the man for taking the job in the first place because of the joke franchise we've always had and always will have unless we stop overpaying and actually trade for picks not players because of the fact that players HAVE to be overpaid to come to Canada to play unless their drafts or young prospects, but this all means nothing from either of our point of view unless we stop icing a butter soft or close to it. 

THAT!! Is our problem and always has been and the one really good tough roster that went up against the B's had next to zero depth because of, wait for it... Selling the farm.. AGAIN!! Lmao! 

People just don't think things through, if we missed the playoffs for next 3-4 seasons then have a every year contender for a cup for the next 10 years? Most I'm sure would say no.. as they have in the past without even thinking it through. 

And when ownership shares that way of thinking, we're F'd!

So my question to you is, depending on how long of a fan you have been, when has this ever been different? 

Actually nevermind, I'll just say it, it's never been.. proof? No cup... 

Without toughening up this roster and keeping and trading for picks and letting guys like Podz filter in and balancing out skill and toughness with depth then no matter what any GM does, it won't matter, it won't change anything. I wish it was different but it's the same old..

Edited by iceman64

16 hours ago, King Loui said:

Stop trying to needle me, dude, nobody cares.  Nice virtue signaling, very 2022 of you.  

Unpleased with what I've seen so far, yes.  Having a final decision on if I like the new Management team deffinnitely not.  I was told to stop badmouthing Benning early on in his tenure as well, only to be forced to sit down and endure an additional 5 or so years of pain and suffering.  

Okay carry on then man. I'll just turn the whining off on my end. Seems pretty sad to spend all your your time on here badmouthing hockey GM's when it's an insanely hard job with pretty much low success across the league by definition. You also really have no idea what he's doing 95% of the time. Seems like it's more of a not understanding hockey issue but if it makes you feel good do it. lol

Does it make you feel better badmouthing Benning on every post, has it reversed the last 5 years? It's so simple on be a GM mode right?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 5/8/2022 at 2:31 AM, iceman64 said:

I don't have to, it's obvious, JR said it himself, we're one of the better teams in the league and close to being a legit contender, that speaks for itself in what JB did, so he's wrong and doesn't know $&!#e?

And for the scouts, he could have said no and picked someone else but that's why they were working for him, plus re-signed Ian Clark who is arguably one of the best Goalie coaches in the world. 

The only true mistake was listening to media and fans who are the last ones who he should have listened to because both know pretty much zero, if he didn't both to let the pressure get in the way of some of the things he did wrong because of that, like most of the fan base screaming for a top player to put with the Twins, ala LE, who by the way was rated at about 5th or 6th on the tip free agents available at the time was a good example of what fans and media THINK they know.

Same with Rous and Beags, Rous for his grit because Vancouver loves their soft skilled roster that looks great during the season then flops in the playoffs. So he filled a hole on the second line with some grit but Rous got injured which can happen to anyone.

Beags? Leadership void to fill when the Twins left in retirement.

I sincerely hope JR takes a polite road and says to media and fans to go F themselves and finish off this last bit of upgrading for some toughness and farm depth, not with soft players as usual or the end result will be the same as it's been for the last 40+ years. 

Yeah I actually noticed what JB was trying to do here and he almost made it but there's the rest of the league looking for the exact same thing as us and that hasn't changed and won't.

I guess you haven't noticed how hard it is to ice a great team in Canada when NY, LA, etc. etc.etc. have first picks of all the teams who the best players want to go to because of Taxes and chance to win a cup. 

And I guess you didn't notice us beating T.O. x 2 this year? If JB was so bad at his job, there's no way in hell we would have been able to come close to doing that. We would have gotten blown out 9-0 both games if what you claim is true.. 

Yeah I pay attention to whoever is at the helm of this team no matter who it is, whatever their thoughts and ways are have obvious repercussions on the ice so why wouldn't I? I've been a fan since 10 years old in 1974 and watched what Bud Poile to Jake Milford on and on all the way up to today. And each one took their turn at bending over to the public and media pressure, some more than others but look where it got us.. and until that changes, nothing will, so if the best you can do is nitpick GM's mistakes and highlight them instead of realistically seeing we finally have a pretty good team that's a cpl of trades and depth away from actually getting in contention more than one f'n season every 10+ years or so, go ahead.. keep it up! Lmao! 

P.S. 

I never said Benning was perfect, he made rookie GM mistakes, but he was a rookie GM, want to blame someone for that? Blame Aquaman, he's the one who hired a rookie no matter who it was.. but regardless of his mistakes, we ended up with a pretty damn good team that beat some top tier teams without a cpl of upgrades we need. 

A leader should lead by example.

With Benning it was being a pos… The team had a hard time with morale during Bennings years. 
I thought Green was Bennings biggest mistake.

Benning piled mistakes over the years I’ve followed the Canucks(since Petey arrived).

Handling players the wrong way either with media or not communicate properly.

Gillis is chastigated because he left the barn empty.

Gillis managed to get close to the cup. 
Benning managed to get bad results while he managed to spend all cap, just amazing cap skills. 
So Benning made only one real mistake? 
I think I just scraped the surface…

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

A leader should lead by example.

With Benning it was being a pos… The team had a hard time with morale during Bennings years. 
I thought Green was Bennings biggest mistake.

Benning piled mistakes over the years I’ve followed the Canucks(since Petey arrived).

Handling players the wrong way either with media or not communicate properly.

Gillis is chastigated because he left the barn empty.

Gillis managed to get close to the cup. 
Benning managed to get bad results while he managed to spend all cap, just amazing cap skills. 
So Benning made only one real mistake? 
I think I just scraped the surface…

So Gillis got us close one year... Count it, won't take long ONE f'n year, wooo frickin whooo! And that systematically screwed us, along with Lou's recapture, we were handcuffed with that all the way up to this year, throw in another 2 mil with that and presto we have enough to sign a really good RHD which we sorely needed so it's bitten us in the a$$ and that's only part of the bigger picture that people forget to look at, dude we were screwed no matter how you look at it and the Sedins were the only thing keeping us half way from embarrassment. And then the broken beat up players on the roster that didn't have a lot of life left in them but were locked in and were happy with their situation even if it screwed us. Thank you MG for that! 

Who wants a one trick pony for a one off that cripples the franchise for years? 

I'll add covid that screwed us worse than most teams (not all) but the lost cap we should have gotten would have at least helped until Lou's 3 mil was off the books... 

I'm not saying JB didn't make his share of rookie mistakes but learned as he went along and AT LEAST tried to get through it and get us a team that wasn't a one and done shot. 

How many years have we seen that worked towards and just to fall flat because of no depth, I've been watching since day one in 1974, trust me when I tell this has never changed even though it never works, fans and media need to stop demands of a single cup instead of a term contender for it year in and year out. Tired of the first round exits and have to watch while yet another team gets to hoist the cup. I'm tired of that, really I'am, and others are too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 5/8/2022 at 3:25 PM, Curmudgeon said:

And yet he apparently participated when management interviewed Andrei Kuzmenko on Thursday or Friday. Can't recall where I read that, but if he was in on the interview, I'd think he's likely decided to come back. And remember that he has four assistant coaches, a video coach and Stan Smyl, the Sedins, and Doug Jarvis to help him figure out how to exit the defensive zone more effectively. I think of Rutherford's comments about not being very good at exiting the zone as giving direction for the future, not finding fault with the past. Ultimately, if Bruce decides he can't meet management's expectations, then he'll choose to move on to another team. There will be a few vacancies this summer.

That's encouraging and hopefully BB took those comments that way because most NORMAL people and many sports casters took the numerous JR ctitisism's as a direct attack on Bruce and thought to themselves that if they were in Bruce's position and had any self pride, they'd be walking after all the slamming JR did on him.

But hey, if he stays for one more year, that will give BB a chance to clear his name by correcting all the numerous deficiencies JR pointed out that makes this team so bad and why we keep missing the playoffs year after year.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

22 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

So Gillis got us close one year... Count it, won't take long ONE f'n year, wooo frickin whooo! And that systematically screwed us, along with Lou's recapture, we were handcuffed with that all the way up to this year, throw in another 2 mil with that and presto we have enough to sign a really good RHD which we sorely needed so it's bitten us in the a$$ and that's only part of the bigger picture that people forget to look at, dude we were screwed no matter how you look at it and the Sedins were the only thing keeping us half way from embarrassment. And then the broken beat up players on the roster that didn't have a lot of life left in them but were locked in and were happy with their situation even if it screwed us. Thank you MG for that! 

I'll add covid that screwed us worse than most teams (not all) but the lost cap we should have gotten would have at least helped until Lou's 3 mil was off the books... 

I'm not saying JB didn't make his share of rookie mistakes but learned as he went along and AT LEAST tried to get through it and get us a team that wasn't a one and done shot. 

How many years have we seen that worked towards and just to fall flat because of no depth, I've been watching since day one in 1974, trust me when I tell this has never changed even though it never works, fans and media need to stop demands of a single cup instead of a term contender for it year in and year out. Tired of the first round exits and have to watch while yet another team gets to hoist the cup. I'm tired of that, really I'am, and others are too. 

Interesting how Jim benning did the same thing to us by resigning Jake "The Ripper" who should have never been drafted (let alone resigned) (and instead of keeping Toffolli who had 44 points instead of Jakes 5 points) and Holtby, both of whom we payed salary on this year (for nothing) and will again next year (for nothing) and how he's further saddled the team with many ridiculous contracts with OEL, Myers and Poolman - to name just a few that we'll pay dearly for and regret down the road.   

He took a page right out of Gillis's playbook doing the same thing (selling the future) to save his job and Aqua-lini who was too inept or too busy building leaky Condos' to see what most NORMAL fans could clearly see and actually resigned him and that amateur AHL coach green after last years failures. WTF was he thinking????????

I highly recommend reading this story (https://canucksarmy.com/2022/04/04/jim-bennings-final-offseason-gm-worst-canucks-back-years/ if you haven't already, which is one of the dozens of stories published showing how Uncle Jim ruined this franchise, wasted our time for nearly a decade and inflicted serious injury & hand-cuffed this franchise for years to come - all to save his job!   If you read that article or any of the many others, it will become apparent that Uncle Jim certainly did not get any smarter as things went along, especially after last year's astonishing blunders that poor JR will try to dig us out of.    I sincerly hope JR can work some magic and begin the rebuild this July, otherwise it may be another 3-4 years before we see enough substantial change in this roster to make us a serious playoff team and hopefully contend for the cup once again.  Fingers crossed!   

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Benning screwed himself with spending all cap instead of saving some for the perfect delas.

Evev I would be much better than him in that department and since I listen to good advisers I would have got the same players in draft also… Who needs Benning? :bigblush:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Interesting how Jim benning did the same thing to us by resigning Jake "The Ripper" who should have never been drafted (let alone resigned) (and instead of keeping Toffolli who had 44 points instead of Jakes 5 points) and Holtby, both of whom we payed salary on this year (for nothing) and will again next year (for nothing) and how he's further saddled the team with many ridiculous contracts with OEL, Myers and Poolman - to name just a few that we'll pay dearly for and regret down the road.   

He took a page right out of Gillis's playbook doing the same thing (selling the future) to save his job and Aqua-lini who was too inept or too busy building leaky Condos' to see what most NORMAL fans could clearly see and actually resigned him and that amateur AHL coach green after last years failures. WTF was he thinking????????

I highly recommend reading this story (https://canucksarmy.com/2022/04/04/jim-bennings-final-offseason-gm-worst-canucks-back-years/ if you haven't already, which is one of the dozens of stories published showing how Uncle Jim ruined this franchise, wasted our time for nearly a decade and inflicted serious injury & hand-cuffed this franchise for years to come - all to save his job!   If you read that article or any of the many others, it will become apparent that Uncle Jim certainly did not get any smarter as things went along, especially after last year's astonishing blunders that poor JR will try to dig us out of.    I sincerly hope JR can work some magic and begin the rebuild this July, otherwise it may be another 3-4 years before we see enough substantial change in this roster to make us a serious playoff team and hopefully contend for the cup once again.  Fingers crossed!   

Canucks army writers??? Are you f'n kidding me??  Omg that was the best laugh I've had in weeks, your kidding right? Their as bad as the media in Vancouver and their clueless AT BEST and they agreed with the mainstream media that we got screwed on JT Miller..  yeah such a bum wasn't worth what we paid for him him!!! Good grief..  that's like comparing John Garrett to Ken Hodge, b.s. compared to the real deal. BUT I'm still laughing so thanks for that, that's actually serious, needed a laugh today for real.

Ok so anyway it leads me to this last comment, if you get your $&!#e from reading hacks online and in the Vancouver media to get some sort of take on what's going on, dude you need to look elsewhere because your not going to get it from where your looking, half the people in the CDC could write better than those schmucks..  

• Cheers 4

11 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Benning screwed himself with spending all cap instead of saving some for the perfect delas.

Evev I would be much better than him in that department and since I listen to good advisers I would have got the same players in draft also… Who needs Benning? :bigblush:

Like Vancouver would stand for building something.. pffft too funny..