The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 3 big deals and 2 UFA signings= Canucks being a contender!!!! FACTS

I haven't made a trade proposal on this site for a while, but there's no time like the present. With all the noise surrounding the idea of Miller and Boeser being signed or dealt, I need to step in and add clarity to this situation. You have to look at the big picture here, are our young players like Pettersson ready to be an everyday 1st line centerman or not. I think Petty answered that loud and clear with his performance in meaningful games from January on (one of the best producing players in the NHL). So with that established, Miller MUST be dealt prior to the draft to capture the absolute maximum value (the other thing to consider is that Miller wants to play back east- Facts). 

Trade #1:

JT Miller - C-(5.25 million) + Tucker Poolman-RD (2.5 million)  to     

New Jersey   for

Damon Severson - RD (4.16 Million) + Pavel Zacha- C-(2.5 million) + Alexander Holtz- RW (.925k)

The next component of our thought process takes us to Boeser. He's a good young player who, unfortunately, will never maximize as a Canuck. He needs to be closer to his home/family/Duke. My heart goes out to him, and I've always been a big fan. He's a great young man and he needs to be moved for his own sake. Minnesota cannot afford to take him on (that would have been ideal), but Pittsburgh is the absolute next best opportunity for him, playing with either Crosby or Malkin = Boeser scoring 40+ goals no doubt. I would be proud to watch him do this, there.

Trade #2:

Brock Boeser- RW- (6.5 million) + 2022 3rd + 2023 3rd to 

Pittsburgh   for

John Marino- RD- (4.4 million) + 2022 1st

Our final big deal revolves around the Canucks biggest (6'7") player. As I watch Boston struggle with the Hurricanes I can't help but think, they're really missing Chara. They really do need to make that deal for Jacob Chychrun, but they could also use Myers on the right side of their D as I believe Brandon Carlo will be what Arizona will be part of the package to land  Chychrun. Can you imagine a defense that bolsters Chychrun, McAvoy, Lindholm, and Myers. Very solid, very big, very capable.

Trade #3:

Tyler Myers- RD- (6.0 million)  to

Boston    for

Jake DeBrusk- RW- (4.0 million)

Our final cap savings on these transactions equates to approximately 4.35 million. Not to mention we no longer have Luongo's 3.0 million penalty coming off the books to boot. With that money we sign UFA Andre Burakovsky to a 5.5 million x 5 year deal and Brandon Sutter to a 1.0 million x 1 year deal, as he'll be ready to go for next year and would be a huge part to our PK.

Ok here's the new look lines and I'm sure you'll see why this is exactly why we need to move these players that we hold so high, as the team becomes substantially better, and playoff bound.

Garland      Pettersson       Debrusk

Burakovsky    Horvat     Hoglander

Podkolzin     Zacha      Holtz

Pearson     Sutter     Lammikko

Highmore   Dickerson    Lockwood

Hughes     Severson

OEL           Marino

Dermott     Schenn

Rathbone

Burroughs

Keeper

The Canucks will still have around 5.0 million to play with if they let Chiasson, Richardson, Hunt, and Halak walk.

Flame away guys, but I think you can see a more balanced team here. Faster, bigger, and more competent on the back end.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I can't see these moves being made by the other teams. Miller doesn't fit the age of NJD core. PITs want to resign Letang, Malkin and Rust with their limited cap space (not Boeser). And BOS don't want a $6m 3rd pairing RD behind McAvoy and Carlo - they need to find a 2C (and maybe a 1C as well).

46 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I can't see these moves being made by the other teams. Miller doesn't fit the age of NJD core. PITs want to resign Letang, Malkin and Rust with their limited cap space (not Boeser). And BOS don't want a $6m 3rd pairing RD behind McAvoy and Carlo - they need to find a 2C (and maybe a 1C as well).

Why would they sign Hamilton if that was the case? Regarding Miller not fitting their age group

I agree with you on the Myers proposal to Boston......why would they?

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Why would they sign Hamilton if that was the case? Regarding Miller not fitting their age group

I agree with you on the Myers proposal to Boston......why would they?

Boston makes this deal because they're trying to land Chychrun and it will cost them Carlo, leaving an opening for Myers as their 2nd RD.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

That's exactly why you bring JT into the New Jersey club, he'll be their leader until Hughes can take the torch.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Captain Cowbasher said:

I haven't made a trade proposal on this site for a while, but there's no time like the present. With all the noise surrounding the idea of Miller and Boeser being signed or dealt, I need to step in and add clarity to this situation. You have to look at the big picture here, are our young players like Pettersson ready to be an everyday 1st line centerman or not. I think Petty answered that loud and clear with his performance in meaningful games from January on (one of the best producing players in the NHL). So with that established, Miller MUST be dealt prior to the draft to capture the absolute maximum value (the other thing to consider is that Miller wants to play back east- Facts). 

Trade #1:

New Jersey   for

Damon Severson - RD (4.16 Million) + Pavel Zacha- C-(2.5 million) + Alexander Holtz- RW (.925k)

The next component of our thought process takes us to Boeser. He's a good young player who, unfortunately, will never maximize as a Canuck. He needs to be closer to his home/family/Duke. My heart goes out to him, and I've always been a big fan. He's a great young man and he needs to be moved for his own sake. Minnesota cannot afford to take him on (that would have been ideal), but Pittsburgh is the absolute next best opportunity for him, playing with either Crosby or Malkin = Boeser scoring 40+ goals no doubt. I would be proud to watch him do this, there.

Trade #2:

Pittsburgh   for

Our final big deal revolves around the Canucks biggest (6'7") player. As I watch Boston struggle with the Hurricanes I can't help but think, they're really missing Chara. They really do need to make that deal for Jacob Chychrun, but they could also use Myers on the right side of their D as I believe Brandon Carlo will be what Arizona will be part of the package to land  Chychrun. Can you imagine a defense that bolsters Chychrun, McAvoy, Lindholm, and Myers. Very solid, very big, very capable.

Trade #3:

Boston    for

Our final cap savings on these transactions equates to approximately 4.35 million. Not to mention we no longer have Luongo's 3.0 million penalty coming off the books to boot. With that money we sign UFA Andre Burakovsky to a 5.5 million x 5 year deal and Brandon Sutter to a 1.0 million x 1 year deal, as he'll be ready to go for next year and would be a huge part to our PK.

Ok here's the new look lines and I'm sure you'll see why this is exactly why we need to move these players that we hold so high, as the team becomes substantially better, and playoff bound.

Hughes     Severson

OEL           Marino

Dermott     Schenn

Rathbone

Burroughs

Keeper

The Canucks will still have around 5.0 million to play with if they let Chiasson, Richardson, Hunt, and Halak walk.

Flame away guys, but I think you can see a more balanced team here. Faster, bigger, and more competent on the back end.

I think trade #1 is doable, but my problem with it is we could have Manson from UFA without having to trade to get him. I dont see Severson being that much better than what we could get from Manson for the next few years. Manson would be an ideal partner for OEL. 

1. If you want to deal Miller to NJ, I think you trade Miller + Dickinson for NJ 2022 1st + Zacha. 
2. Trade #2 is reasonable. I'd do that deal. 
3. Boston doesn't do trade #3. Debrusk is young and had a breakout year. 
4. If we trade Miller, we take a run at Gaudreau or Forsberg, and throw 9m at them. 
5. Trade Myers to Dallas for a 3rd round pick. 
6. We have Linus Karlsson joining the lineup as well, who is likely to slot into the middle-6.
7. Poolman stays on LTIR, migraines arent going away

2022 1st round draft picks:

NJ 1st round pick
Pitt 1st round pick
Van 1st round pick

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Forsberg
Garland-Horvat-Pearson
Karlsson-Zacha-Hoglander
Lockwood-Lammikko-Highmore

Hughes-Marino
OEL-Manson
Rathbone-Dermott
*Schenn, Burroughs

Honestly might struggle with scoring a bit, its hard to fill both Millers and Boeser's shoes. But that defense is way better, and we add 2 great picks. 

7 hours ago, Captain Cowbasher said:

Trade #1:

New Jersey   for

Trade #2:

Pittsburgh   for

Trade #3:

Boston    for

Hughes     Severson

OEL           Marino

Dermott     Schenn

Rathbone

Burroughs

Keeper

Sure like the moves you make.. Really like Holtz, Burakovsky, Marino 25 RD, Severson 28 #2 RD, , Zacha 6'3 C has lots of upside needs new team..

Canucks would really improve with these moves..

Re free agents, yes, Lui is finally off the books ($3M in cap) but the Holtby and Virtanen buyouts go from $550 to $2.4 so the cap freed is really only $600k

Also, don't assume Sutter is back.  I saw his interview the other night and he didn't look like a guy who would start training any time soon although I'm sure he really wants to play again.

Also, Halak is likely not renewed $1.5 and would be replaced by Spenser Martin $762,500

so there's $1.3M between them

4 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

I think trade #1 is doable, but my problem with it is we could have Manson from UFA without having to trade to get him. I dont see Severson being that much better than what we could get from Manson for the next few years. Manson would be an ideal partner for OEL. 

1. If you want to deal Miller to NJ, I think you trade Miller + Dickinson for NJ 2022 1st + Zacha. 
2. Trade #2 is reasonable. I'd do that deal. 
3. Boston doesn't do trade #3. Debrusk is young and had a breakout year. 
4. If we trade Miller, we take a run at Gaudreau or Forsberg, and throw 9m at them. 
5. Trade Myers to Dallas for a 3rd round pick. 
6. We have Linus Karlsson joining the lineup as well, who is likely to slot into the middle-6.
7. Poolman stays on LTIR, migraines arent going away

2022 1st round draft picks:

NJ 1st round pick
Pitt 1st round pick
Van 1st round pick

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Forsberg
Garland-Horvat-Pearson
Karlsson-Zacha-Hoglander

Hughes-Marino
OEL-Manson
Rathbone-Dermott
*Schenn, Burroughs

Honestly might struggle with scoring a bit, its hard to fill both Millers and Boeser's shoes. But that defense is way better, and we add 2 great picks. 

I think that they'd rather have Miller back but nobody thinks that he'll sign for a less AAV and less term so everybody assumes he'll be on his way.  But don't assume.

I also don't think that they move from both Miller and Boeser.  Remember JR said that if you subtract 2 key parts of the team, you may be looking at a setback which nobody wants.  So if they move on Miller with little cap coming back, they can afford Boeser (I don't see them agreeing to his QO in any case either).  Doesn't everybody think that 

Boeser is good for 35+ goals in a year when he personal life isn't falling apart?

5 hours ago, Captain Cowbasher said:

That's exactly why you bring JT into the New Jersey club, he'll be their leader until Hughes can take the torch.

Haha yeah right, the NJD GM to ownership: "we are trading our best defensemen and our best prospect because the guy will provide us leadership for next season"...

They have plenty of leadership in Severson, Tatar and Hamilton. No need to pay a ridiculous amount for one year of a player when you are in NJDs current situation.

I would see a team like Boston, who need a true 2C and possibly a 1C very soon (how close is Bergeron to retirement) being much more interested in Miller. Or maybe Colorado, who likely won't give a 31 year old Kadri a massive & long term deal. Miller is 2 years younger and might be a better fit.

Edited by BigTramFan

5 hours ago, Captain Cowbasher said:

Boeser>>>>>Rust, end of story. Boeser get's 40+ goals playing with Crosby and Guntzel

Haha Boeser hasn't hit 30 goals in his entire career! Rust is faster, grittier and plays a better game off the puck. He will probably cost less than $7.5m, which is Boeser's QO. And even though he'd be cheaper than Boeser, PIT are going to struggle to fit Rust under the cap for next season, as Malkin and Letang will likely be the first contracts they deal with and then they will see if they can make room for Rust.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that they'd rather have Miller back but nobody thinks that he'll sign for a less AAV and less term so everybody assumes he'll be on his way.  But don't assume.

I also don't think that they move from both Miller and Boeser.  Remember JR said that if you subtract 2 key parts of the team, you may be looking at a setback which nobody wants.  So if they move on Miller with little cap coming back, they can afford Boeser (I don't see them agreeing to his QO in any case either).  Doesn't everybody think that 

Boeser is good for 35+ goals in a year when he personal life isn't falling apart?

Oh my first choice is keeping both Miller and Boeser. I don't think we need to move them at all in order to accomplish our goals. We can run 3 scoring lines much better with both of them. My ideal world:

- Keep Miller and Boeser
- Buyout Dickinson to save some cap
- Trade Pearson for a late pick
- Trade Myers to Dallas for a 3rd
- Sign Manson for 5x5
- Sign Colin Miller for 3x1

Garland-Miller-Chiasson
Podkolzin-Petey-Boeser
Karlsson-Horvat-Hoglander

Hughes-Miller
OEL-Manson
Rathbone-Dermott
*Schenn, Burroughs

We'd have enough cap leftover to upgrade our top-6 from there too if we want to. 

lol of course you'd make yourself a contender by doing a trade NJ absolutely wouldnt do. NJ wants to get better, adding a 1C and capdump by trading away one of their best dman, 25 year old 2nd liner, and a Holtz whos about to breakout makes them a lot worse. 

Boston is old enough and is on the edge of a rebuild, im sure they'd jump on adding Myers. 

I like the idea of a lot of the trades. NJD coming out to say they'll consider moving their 1st round pick tells us they want to try and start winning so maybe they do want a top scorer like Miller, rather than just playing kids all the time. A lot of teams decide this at one point in their rebuild - they start getting decent NHLers in their prime. That's a big haul though, not sure if we get Holtz as well. Maybe Severson + Zacha + 2nd rounder for Miller + Poolman (who is really a cap dump here as we all know). 

As for the Pittsburgh trade, I doubt the picks would move so it'd realistically be a straight up Brock for Marino move. The Penguins fan base want that trade done every day of the week and I'm sure Rutherford would pull it off.

As for the Bruins trade, again I think both teams would happily do it if they can find a way to squeeze Myers in cap-wise. Myers isn't a tough guy though so not sure how much they'd want him just for his size.

The trades certainly balance our team which is what I like in a trade - we're very top-heavy at the moment, so spending a 99pt player in Miller + 20-30 goal scorer in Brock to get back two quality mobile top-4 defencemen and a solid 3C is brilliant. If we can swap Myers for a top-6 forward to replace some of that lost scoring, that's great too.

Essentially trading something like 150 points (Miller and Boeser) + 30 (Myers) for 40 (Severson) + 40 (Marino) + 40 (Zacha) + 50 (Debrusk) is very similar point totals, it just shifts it from our top line to our back end and depth which is I think what we need more of.    

On 5/5/2022 at 8:26 PM, Captain Cowbasher said:

Trade #2:

Pittsburgh   for

Trade #3:

Boston    for

I don't think either Boston or Pittsburgh would do this.

For Boston, Upside and age I seriously doubt Myers can be swapped for DeBrusk. Maybe DeBruck and a 3rd  round pick for Garland + Myers (with salary retention) might work. 

For Pittsburgh. considering the rarity of RHD and Brock has a down year + qualifying offer. I am not seeing it. Rathbone + another piece for Marino maybe? 

I think people have to be realistic on the value of Myers. While I do think his contract is tradeable, unless you are dealing with Ottawa, Myers will likely fetch an equivalent of a 3rd or 4th round pick 

Edited by iinatcc