The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

5 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Trade up and then trade back a little down for Jiricek :lol:

Trading back or getting the Philly pick would be nice too.

5 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Cooley has been compared to zegras. Can't miss

I don't follow the draft nearly as much as I used too, (which is me saying I could be completely wrong), but couldn't Slafkovsky be like another Svechnikov?

Edited by Smashian Kassian

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't follow the draft nearly as much as I used too, (which is me saying I could be completely wrong), but couldn't Slafkovsky be like another Svechnikov?

I think Slaf will absolutely go 2nd. He's already quite a bit bigger than Svechnikov, and plays bigger along the boards. I would compare him more to a John Leclair or Jaromir Jagr type.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Trading back or getting the Philly pick would be nice too.

I would say Cooley is a more sure thing. 200 foot player already. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I don't think we can get 2nd for miller but if we Could then Cooley would be huge for us. 

You go Slafkovsky every time.  He's the safest bet with the highest ceiling.

Barring that you trade that back and win in other ways.

Prior to moving up I could see the Devils moving the pick

But now it's a line potential of 

Slafkovsky-Hughes-Bratt

Not a chance that pick is moved

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

You go Slafkovsky every time.  He's the safest bet with the highest ceiling.

Barring that you trade that back and win in other ways.

Prior to moving up I could see the Devils moving the pick

But now it's a line potential of 

Slafkovsky-Hughes-Bratt

Not a chance that pick is moved

Slaf and Hughes - damn. With Nico down the middle I also doubt they go with Cooley.

5 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Slaf and Hughes - damn. With Nico down the middle I also doubt they go with Cooley.

Right?I mean they could do something super ballsy and draft Savoie or another centre but likely it's Slafvkovksky.  The guys in the mold of Jagr for size speed and shot.  

NOT JAGR, but in the build/mold of and the type of player you hope hits their stride.

Hell...kind of envious of Jersey really

• Cheers 1

On 5/5/2022 at 2:46 PM, Vinny in Vancouver said:

My guess: they will contact the JR about Quinn Hughes and dangle this first rounder (even if it's the top overall pick) + a young highly-touted player already on their roster not named Jack Hughes + one of their most highly touted prospect not yet in the NHL and not named Luke Hughes. Canucks say 'no'.

They can dream about Quinn hughes in their sleep. Canucks wont trade him unless it was Bedard and even then it would be tough. This draft is weak at top anyways.

On 5/5/2022 at 3:03 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

So if they get the first overall pick:

To New Jersey:

Quinn Hughes

To Vancouver:

Shane Wright

Damon Severson (contract exended)

Alexander Holtz

Kevin Bahl

Would you?

Nope, unless you have Bedard up there. Hughes is a unique and special talent and has the best edgework of any NHL skaters I have seen, nevermind a defenseman. He is very valuable at his position like a Makar. You just dont trade players like that for quantity unless you are getting elite talent back and the deal is overpayment.

On 5/5/2022 at 3:15 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Severson, Boqvist, Hischier, the 2022 and 2023 first rounders.

For Hughes, Myers, and Dickinson. No salary retained. 

Hughes is the most skilled player in tjis deal. I still wpuld not do it at all. He has already broken many Canucks records at such a young age. Almost reminds me of a young scott niedermyer.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:01 PM, Chris12345 said:

Probably because you'd make the team a lot of money.

How would trading Hughes make the team a lot of money unless you mean they will save money. Its completely dumb to even think about prospects of trading Hughes for magic beans. If it was Bedard, thats one thing but trading Hughes for lesser players?

On 5/5/2022 at 6:22 PM, Chris12345 said:

Absolutetly.

The first next year is worth a lot of coin.

The Canucks aren't winning so a supertar just adds money.

The Canucks almost made the playoffs this year and if it wasnt for Green, they would make it and beat Oilers in the 1st round too. So your saying to rebuild again rather than fix the D by moving a couple of players? Its like building a tower but destroying it because a window frame looks crooked.

5 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The Canucks almost made the playoffs this year and if it wasnt for Green, they would make it and beat Oilers in the 1st round too. So your saying to rebuild again rather than fix the D by moving a couple of players? Its like building a tower but destroying it because a window frame looks crooked.

The tower’s foundation is old and failing.  Patch it more and risk a full collapse.  Best to carefully deconstruct and rebuild with a new and solid foundation.  

• Upvote 1