The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to find a market for Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

We matched well with Colorado and while a series win may be out of reach we wouldn’t have been swept either, I hear Demko is pretty good. 

Toronto 650 reporting is mindless speculation at best. And disingenuous at worst. I’ll take their reporting with a grain of salt. 

Sportsnet 650 covers the Canucks and are folks in the Vancouver area 

OEL's contract is not as bad as some make it out to be. With the Arizona retaining 1.2 mill per season OEL comes in at just under 7.3mill

OEL is pretty much a career .5 PPG defensman who made his money scoring goals to the tune of 10-20+ goals per year.

After a horrendous start for the whole team OEL managed .37 PPG closing in on his career production while coming up short on the goal front to some degree

Don't think he played horrible making his contract a huge anchor like a PK Subban scenario...

When you consider the trade allowed us to be rid of Ericksson... That MUST be worth the difference on the mill or two you might save on a different defense man.. just sayin...lol

• Cheers 4

Just now, iinatcc said:

Yep one big win in 8 years. I also thought Miller was a win, that said not enough to make the team a consistent playoff team 

OEL and Garland for spare parts too. Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin, Höglander all turned out well too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Vegas went from zero to cup finalist in a season. Of course the situation is different but it goes to show what can a creative and cunning GM can do, something Benning was not. 

This should have been apparent the moment McCann and a early 2nd was traded for Gudbransson. Or overpaying Beagle and Roussel. 

Vegas probably isn't a great example to follow... they had a leg up on everyone based on a brand new expansion format.  Since then, they've done nothing but crap the bed and lose depth piece after depth piece after depth piece thinking adding the biggest names on the block will bring them a Cup.  Personally I think that expansion Vegas team was a far more complete team and a much more serious contender than the team they have now.  Especially with the dismantling they're gonna have to do this offseason due to cap hell.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Canucklehead73 said:

When you consider the trade allowed us to be rid of Ericksson... That MUST be worth the difference on the mill or two you might save on a different defense man.. just sayin...lol

LE only had one more year left. And Vancouver had to give up a it's picks. 

Plus the player Arizona picked is looking to turn out really well. 

And now Canucks are stuck paying a player the same amount Tamps is paying Hedman or less than a million less than Carlson. 

Doesn't really show good value for his contract

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Yep one big win in 8 years. I also thought Miller was a win, that said not enough to make the team a consistent playoff team 

Just an FYI, it took Rutherford 12 years as a GM before gaining success in Hartford/Carolina.  When he joined them in 1994, the Hartford Whalers were a rebuilding team. 

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

You're misquoting yourself. 

I don't know how you can argue he doesn't play against elite forwards when he logged 90 minutes 4 on 5. OEL logged about 160 minutes but was on the PK the entire year whereas Quinn's minutes basically came exclusively after Green was fired. In the post-Green era, he was certainly playing against top forwards.

Not misquoting myself.

Elite forwards = toughest matchup, more or less.

Hughes played 90 minutes on the PK, but how many of those minutes were against the top unit for the opposition? The OEL-Myers pairing gets the brunt of the top unit. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Exactly Vegas outsmarted all the GMs. Who has Benning ever outsmarted or had a big win in his deals? 

How smart does Vegas look now with the way they treated Fleury, swapping out players like Schmidt for scraps for new shiny toys? Hearing players are thinking twice about going there now with the lack of loyalty and panic moves they have made recently. 

Funny their mismanagement gets a gold star in your eyes. 

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

LE only had one more year left. And Vancouver had to give up a it's picks. 

Plus the player Arizona picked is looking to turn out really well. 

And now Canucks are stuck paying a player the same amount Tamps is paying Hedman or less than a million less than Carlson. 

Doesn't really show good value for his contract

Garland was and is a steal, OEL isn’t as bad as you make him out to be. Guenther I’m not sold on at the NHL level. 

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Just an FYI, it took Rutherford 12 years as a GM before gaining success in Hartford/Carolina.  When he joined them in 1994, the Hartford Whalers were a rebuilding team. 

What about the Cup finals in 2002?

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

How smart does Vegas look now with the way they treated Fleury, swapping out players like Schmidt for scraps for new shiny toys? Hearing players are thinking twice about going there now with the lack of loyalty and panic moves they have made recently. 

Funny their mismanagement gets a gold star in your eyes. 

I mean now it's a mess. But there's no doubt the inaugural season shows how a cunning GM can build nothing into something.

Also let's not forget that no one really took Vegas seriously as a threat in their initial season. What Vegas did to deal with other teams was brilliant.

What's happening now not so much 

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Not misquoting myself.

Elite forwards = toughest matchup, more or less.

Hughes played 90 minutes on the PK, but how many of those minutes were against the top unit for the opposition? The OEL-Myers pairing gets the brunt of the top unit. 

You said he doesn't play against the opponent's elite forwards every single night. He does. He isn't necessarily line-matched against them, but that doesn't mean he doesn't spend important minutes against top forwards, and the underlying stats support that. OEL took a ton of minor penalties this year, which meant Hughes was often playing important PK minutes on the left side. 

6 hours ago, mll said:

Wouldn't use PK time as indicative of toughness of competition.  Quite a few teams use their 3rd pairing Ds or guys that are otherwise healthy scratches on the PK.  Going up against elite players at 5v5 is very different than on the PK - there's no icing on the PK.

Nashville shelters their 3rd pairing at 5v5 but will use them on the PK.  Myers was even waived and loaned to the Marlies but when in the lineup he's on the PK.  Ben Harpur too and has also split his time in the AHL.  All very sheltered at 5v5 though.  It's really not unusual with other teams doing it too.

Okay, that's what Nashville does... but that's not what Vancouver did. Green did the very opposite of that - purposefully NOT playing Hughes on the PK to try and give him sheltered minutes. Hughes was only -4 on the PK over 90 minutes. It wasn't as if he was put out there to perform poorly. 

I'm not trying to bang on the "Quinn Hughes is defensively elite" drum... but I don't think he is a liability that can only be effective when given favorable line matchups. 

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Okay, that's what Nashville does... but that's not what Vancouver did. Green did the very opposite of that - purposefully NOT playing Hughes on the PK to try and give him sheltered minutes. Hughes was only -4 on the PK over 90 minutes. It wasn't as if he was put out there to perform poorly. 

I'm not trying to bang on the "Quinn Hughes is defensively elite" drum... but I don't think he is a liability that can only be effective when given favorable line matchups. 

Thing is Quinn does get favourable minutes against the second PP unit. More often than not it is Myers and OEL against the 1st PP unit. 

• Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I'm sorry if in any organization morale comes more from the leadership than your direct report. 

That’s not how it works lol

In any business.

You could have the greatest CEO. But if your direct manager is a chump (Green), things fall apart. 

We could all see that Miller was told by Green to play within his dictated rules. With the Boudreau hire, the frustrations of Miller overnight became a massive asset to the Canucks as they finally manifested themselves into unabashed passion.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Thing is Quinn does get favourable minutes against the second PP unit. More often than not it is Myers and OEL against the 1st PP unit. 

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise...

Playing 4-5 is still difficult. Most top units will play about 90 seconds of a PP. PK shifts are hardly that long. Even if you're second unit PK, you're still likely to see some time against the first unit, even if they are towards the last half of their shift.