The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to find a market for Oliver Ekman-Larsson

25 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You're misquoting yourself. 

I don't know how you can argue he doesn't play against elite forwards when he logged 90 minutes 4 on 5. OEL logged about 160 minutes but was on the PK the entire year whereas Quinn's minutes basically came exclusively after Green was fired. In the post-Green era, he was certainly playing against top forwards.

Wouldn't use PK time as indicative of toughness of competition.  Quite a few teams use their 3rd pairing Ds or guys that are otherwise healthy scratches on the PK.  Going up against elite players at 5v5 is very different than on the PK - there's no icing on the PK.

Nashville shelters their 3rd pairing at 5v5 but will use them on the PK.  Myers was even waived and loaned to the Marlies but when in the lineup he's on the PK.  Ben Harpur too and has also split his time in the AHL.  All very sheltered at 5v5 though.  It's really not unusual with other teams doing it too.

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Manson will be very in demand though, which will drive up his price. What do you reckon it'd take to reel him in? He won't come cheap.

5x5. Yes he won’t come cheap. But which stud RHD would come cheap?

Even Myers got $6 million as a UFA for 5 years.  I’d only go after Manson if we can trade Myers or OEL. 

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Side by side, there’s not all that much difference in quality of competition between Hughes and OEL last season. Yes, OEL played slightly more often against top line forwards, but it’s not as significant a difference as you’re suggesting, and certainly Hughes wasn’t sheltered or facing mostly bottom-6ers.

2FB67A98-B373-4738-A303-C70C79DC0FAB.thumb.jpeg.d16df7eb082a4829f529834e0a69fca7.jpeg

63F77680-8BE6-496F-8A23-5957C76463C2.thumb.jpeg.7105041e9fee35b6eafad174527323c0.jpeg

For example, the most frequent (by TOI) centre matchup for Hughes in 2021-22 was Connor McDavid. For OEL it was Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. That’s not necessarily representative, of course. Both Hughes and OEL played high minutes against a who’s who of the leagues top players, and their most frequent matchups show this. Just using the example to make the point. For some teams, Quinn got the most frequent matchup against the top line at 5v5. For other teams, it was OEL.

And certainly, when it comes to defensive zone starts, OEL was relied on more heavily than Hughes. But not dramatically so, when you consider that much of Hughes’s high offensive starts percentages were about getting him on the ice for offensive zone faceoffs, more so than keeping him away from the defensive zone (which was the case in the past, but really isn’t any more).

Quality of teammates is another story, and Hughes definitely shared the ice with higher quality players more often than OEL. But that’s also to be expected, given that Hughes is an absolute offensive phenom who scored more points this year than OEL has ever managed in his career. Makes sense they’d want to get Quinn out there with the best Canucks offensive. players as often as possible.

None of this is meant to take anything away from OEL. He played some tough minutes for us and performed admirably in a difficult role.

Just pointing out that Hughes probably deserves more credit than you’re giving him for the quality of competition and “tough minutes” he logs, especially last season.

Here’s a look at how his usage has progressed over his career:

BA0539B9-0DE3-44AB-95B1-6DA49C7A4F9D.thumb.jpeg.96f1af71554964b7eff60024d37ac505.jpeg

Quinn is developing into a legit #1D. His defensive starts and percentages (offensive vs defensive) have really shifted as he becomes much more of a three zones player and matchup option for this team.

(Similar story with his emergence this year as a PKer under Bruce.)

Hughes’s greatest value will always be on offence, but he’s really proven this past season that he can be trusted (and can thrive) in all situations, against all levels of competition, and in all game states.

Not arguing one way or another... but maybe the defensive stats against tougher competition for Hughes is inflated a bit because he sees a TON of ice time in general.  Over 25min a game (on average).

When we're trying to catch up after falling behind, he's on the ice more than usual.  So he's playing against both top line players, as well as bottom line guys of the opposition.

When we're trying to get the lead while tied, he's often on the ice.  Again, playing against whoever the other team puts out there. 

When we're ahead, he probably plays in a regular rotation.

He plays big minutes on the PP, and now he plays on the PK too.

In general, often other teams are the ones that match up against Hughes deliberately because they want to expose his size.  Just speculating here, but if you're the Oilers and could have McDavid go against Hughes or OEL, which would you pick as the coach?  I love Hughes, but if my goal is to try and over power the defence of the Canucks, I'd much rather my top line go against Hughes and an aging Schenn than OEL and 6'7" Myers.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Not arguing one way or another... but maybe the defensive stats against tougher competition for Hughes is inflated a bit because he sees a TON of ice time in general.  Over 25min a game (on average).

When we're trying to catch up after falling behind, he's on the ice more than usual.  So he's playing against both top line players, as well as bottom line guys of the opposition.

When we're trying to get the lead while tied, he's often on the ice.  Again, playing against whoever the other team puts out there. 

When we're ahead, he probably plays in a regular rotation.

He plays big minutes on the PP, and now he plays on the PK too.

In general, often other teams are the ones that match up against Hughes deliberately because they want to expose his size.  Just speculating here, but if you're the Oilers and could have McDavid go against Hughes or OEL, which would you pick as the coach?  I love Hughes, but if my goal is to try and over power the defence of the Canucks, I'd much rather my top line go against Hughes and an aging Schenn than OEL and 6'7" Myers.

Perfectly said.

Therefore, imagine not having Schenn, OEL and/ or 6’7” Myers.

Catastrophe.

Edited by Me_

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

5x5. Yes he won’t come cheap. But which stud RHD would come cheap?

Even Myers got $6 million as a UFA for 5 years.  I’d only go after Manson if we can trade Myers or OEL. 

As a UFA RD with size and who's willing to use it? Dunno, that seems low imo.

I didn’t take away that this is a serious focus of the team.   Maybe an avenue they looked at to open up cap flexibility. I wouldn’t read too much into.   

I found OEL to be a solid addition to the team.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

“I just think that the Canucks have tried to look around to see if there’s a market there, at all,” Friedman said. “And don’t forget: OEL has say, because he’s got the no-move clause.”

The direct quote is a lot less spicy than how Dhaliwhal frames it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

OEL was good for us this year, but nearly worth his price tag in both the cap implications or the acquiring cost. This feels like a cap motivated move at a glance, but the long term for for Rathbone may also be a factor.

Realistically OEL's play will likely be on the decline over the rest of his career. In a couple years there is a good chance his contract is immovable without a significant add on our end. Is there room for 3 offense first LH defensemen on the Canucks? 

This doesn't even go into the cap ramifications of OEL. If we trade Miller this offseason, I think it's entirely fair to say the OEL/Garland trade is a huge reason for that. Instead of something like 13 million coming off the books this summer, more then enough money to sign Miller, we have nothing coming off and a anchor contract for many years left with OEL. I'm not sure you can have 2 aging players on bloated contracts if you want to compete for a cup, and we already have one with OEL.

Meanwhile my guy Guenther was top 6 in scoring in the W. I always defended Benning but this trade gutted me then and still hurts today...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Screw said:

“I just think that the Canucks have tried to look around to see if there’s a market there, at all,” Friedman said. “And don’t forget: OEL has say, because he’s got the no-move clause.”

The direct quote is a lot less spicy than how Dhaliwhal frames it.

So... "The Canucks are trying to move OEL and would ask him to waive his NMC."  B)

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So... "The Canucks are trying to move OEL and would ask him to waive his NMC."  B)

Starts with “I just think”. Man. I do that on the toilet; thinking. These guys are paid for that. 

OEL - MYERS

HUGHES - SCHENN

__________ - _________

Hughes needs beef beside him and Schenn is the perfect stay at home D for him, and their relationship is a long standing one from Schenn’s days as a Leafs when the young Hughes brothers hung out with the Leafs.

Edited by Me_

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yes, I”m told they also punched him in the face and made him wear a Loui Eriks son jersey while hurling insults. 

Edited by Screw
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

OEL was good for us this year, but nearly worth his price tag in both the cap implications or the acquiring cost. This feels like a cap motivated move at a glance, but the long term for for Rathbone may also be a factor.

Realistically OEL's play will likely be on the decline over the rest of his career. In a couple years there is a good chance his contract is immovable without a significant add on our end. Is there room for 3 offense first LH defensemen on the Canucks? 

This doesn't even go into the cap ramifications of OEL. If we trade Miller this offseason, I think it's entirely fair to say the OEL/Garland trade is a huge reason for that. Instead of something like 13 million coming off the books this summer, more then enough money to sign Miller, we have nothing coming off and a anchor contract for many years left with OEL. I'm not sure you can have 2 aging players on bloated contracts if you want to compete for a cup, and we already have one with OEL.

Meanwhile my guy Guenther was top 6 in scoring in the W. I always defended Benning but this trade gutted me then and still hurts today...

I’m often called “my guy” by fellow workers I barely know. 

My answer is always “don’t call me that ever again, we will never know each other enough for that kind of comfort”.

”My guy”…..

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Screw said:

I didn’t take away that this is a serious focus of the team.   Maybe an avenue they looked at to open up cap flexibility. I wouldn’t read too much into.   

I found OEL to be a solid addition to the team.

I think they gauged the market on everyone. Its their job. 

I do think where Bettman's balls drop today will impact offers we actually consider. E.g., if Philly doesn't win the lotto I can see them shopping 5th or 6th to us as part of a Miller deal.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think they gauged the market on everyone. Its their job. 

I do think where Bettman's balls drop today will impact offers we actually consider. E.g., if Philly doesn't win the lotto I can see them shopping 5th or 6th to us as part of a Miller deal.

Miller is staying. Makes absolutely no sense to trade him. That is pure regression. 

If Horvat is the quiet leader of this team, then Miller is the loud leader of this team.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Miller is staying. Makes absolutely no sense to trade him. That is pure regression. 

If Horvat is the quiet leader of this team, then Miller is the loud leader of this team.

I didn't say we should do it, my ma.... (I kid) just that we may be offered it by PHI. My preference is to keep Miller as long as the price is <8 per year. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Will Miller accept a six year deal?  How much will the total dollars be that JR will pay for Miller?

6 x 8.5?

1 hour ago, Screw said:

CPT60314686.jpg

When I listened to this yesterday, it was really casual and was skipped over quickly. Donnie actually doubled back to get clarification and it was still more casual in "I think" territory.

And really, I'd be surprised if they weren't exploring options to move OEL. It's a safe bet for any journalist to assume or speculate on this without being wrong.