The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to find a market for Oliver Ekman-Larsson

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Totally agree with the OEL supporters.

He is our most solid defensemen. He doesn't really have any holes in his game. 

One could argue that he ran a better PP than Hughes. He knows when to get pucks on net and how to get it through. 

I think if the Canucks really need to dump him, give him PP1 time, let him rack up 50 pts and then trade him. 

But then again, once he does that, I'm sure ppl will want to keep him... :rolleyes:

OEL was the least of our problems on D. There's quite a few ahead of him I would rather trade. 

Can’t afford both OEL and Myers.  13 mil second pair is too much.  If we keep OEL I’d expect Myers to be traded.  One of those two is gone this summer.  Whichever will be determined by the market.  Very doubtful there’s a market for OEL.  Myers we might find a buyer.  

22 minutes ago, nergish said:

I'm not exactly thrilled to be saddled with the contract, but your response still feels a bit disingenuous. He had 29 points, and was very solid defensively. 

But my point was more that he actually looks quite young and spry for 31 - he's a lean, agile guy. Again, absolutely overpaid but far from "finished".

He just can't play the same game he did when was a perennial all star, and I get that it's a bummer. But he's a very serviceable player and a great guy for our locker room.

You take the good with the bad, and you end up with a "Meh". 

Quinn Hughes put up nearly 70 points, OEL wasn't going to get a sniff of any real offensive time, and he played accordingly. 

I think we can move off of Myers and still make use of Oliver.

If the idea is to pay to move OEL just to sign Miller that's like paying a bill by borrowing from the bank.   There needs to be more to it.   Ohlund was our number one D on his side for years and only had a couple somewhat decent offensive seasons WITH his power play time.    I also think that the OEL/Myers unit insulated QHs the same way last year the Edler/Schmidt unit did, although QHs for sure was better as well.   It's not capped a top four for nothing.    OEL is also a bit of an insurance policy if QHs goes down.   Not saying management should move either OEL or Myers, but they need to have a play in mind to follow it up - not just going after the next man available.   Myers had his best year for us to date - selling high on him makes sense i suppose.   But wow that's a pretty bad right side. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can’t afford both OEL and Myers.  13 mil second pair is too much.  If we keep OEL I’d expect Myers to be traded.  One of those two is gone this summer.  Whichever will be determined by the market.  Very doubtful there’s a market for OEL.  Myers we might find a buyer.  

I think we are lucky if we find a buyer for Myers but none for OEL. I would rather move Myers anyway. He has size and sometimes show snarl but  too many brain farts to command logging big minutes. 

OEL is so steady. If Canucks really need to trade him, honestly, just give him PP1 time and he will have tons of interest

They are only inquiring if feasible to move, they wouldn't be doing their job if they weren't on a lot of our players

How many overpaid players would this make that we tried moving almost after getting here, if we move him?

JR did say they are finding it hard to move some contracts (My guess is because they don't want to add sweeteners and picks)

Hopefully those days will be coming to a end soon

I always over simplify and look at it like this:

Hughes is my #1 guy. That means he needs a bigger defensive partner as a #1 pairing that they don't have. They need to get a $4M plus guy to play with him. First pairing is therefore $11m plus.

Second pairing is Myers and OEL at $13M, total of $24 on d so far. YIKES!

I'd move OEL first, that contract is a disaster. Myers let it ride out very painfully. Unfortunately that will be tough to do and the Canucks could end up moving Myers.

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Oel is a keeper as far as I'm concerned. I bet he improves this coming year. 

People underestimate how hard it would be to replace him. 

for sure E, I don't know who we'd go out and get tbh. Not that much in the UFA market that would be cheaper... Chiarot maybe?

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

OEL will be impossible to move with his contract and he had 2 teams he would be traded to?? Vancouver and Boston..

Arizona wanted to Move OEL and 5 yr contract at  8.2 million .... Canucks wanted to unload 3 players equal 12 million only 1 season the contracts expire..

We should of had way more control and Arizona should of been adding more to take this player with 6 yrs at the time?

We had to give up #10 PICK 2021 -- 2ND ROUNDER 2022-- 7th rounder 2023

Arizona -- Added,  Garland 25-- Arizona retains 1 million on the 8.2 million for next 6 yrs...

Arizona wins this deal...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

I'm not exactly thrilled to be saddled with the contract, but your response still feels a bit disingenuous. He had 29 points, and was very solid defensively. 

But my point was more that he actually looks quite young and spry for 31 - he's a lean, agile guy. Again, absolutely overpaid but far from "finished".

He just can't play the same game he did when was a perennial all star, and I get that it's a bummer. But he's a very serviceable player and a great guy for our locker room.

You take the good with the bad, and you end up with a "Meh". 

Quinn Hughes put up nearly 70 points, OEL wasn't going to get a sniff of any real offensive time, and he played accordingly. 

I think we can move off of Myers and still make use of Oliver.

Or we could whine about Benning for awhile. That sounds kind of fun.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

for sure E, I don't know who we'd go out and get tbh. Not that much in the UFA market that would be cheaper... Chiarot maybe?

Maybe we could come out better. But are we getting anything in return for Oel?  Can he be dealt without retaining? 

We aren't benefitting the team now, we would only benefit down the road when he Ages.

And would he even agree, and what happens when you ask him? 

I say keep him and accept the fact he's maybe being paid a but much. 

When I see the contracts being handed out to good dmen then Ide just be happy we have him.

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

Maybe we could come out better. But are we getting anything in return for Oel?  Can he be dealt without retaining? 

We aren't benefitting the team now, we would only benefit down the road when he Ages.

And would he even agree, and what happens when you ask him? 

I say keep him and accept the fact he's maybe being paid a but much. 

When I see the contracts being handed out to good dmen then Ide just be happy we have him.

I do think the ageing worry is a bit much, we see a lot of the best d men age pretty well to 34-35 these day. He's still a great skater, responsible, can provide a good amount of offence. 

Retention seems like a mistake, why have 5 years of dead cap?we can just buy him out if we're going to do that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm not buying the spin on this.

It's been widely reported management was gauging the value of literally everyone on the roster. Not sure why OEL would be any different.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see if they could find any takers for a RD in exchange. But I don't think that qualifies as "trying to find a market". More like trying to find a solution.

• Cheers 1

I understand getting away from his contact but I also don’t mind the idea of building around Hughes/OEL on the left side and finding some defensive d men types to play opposite them.  

OEL is a little wasted without the PP time though.