The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks' dismiss 5 more staff, this time from Human Performance - including Roger Takahashi

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

30 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Deb, talking to troll, "Your trolling (of) the Sedins" etc.

Me, trying to be funny, suggested "You're trolling" implying the poster was a troll.

"Oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood" - The Animals, Eric Burden (I think).

Shutting up now.

I wonder if Eric Burden was “Animal” enough to do the Grouse Grind?  

• Haha 2

On 5/15/2022 at 1:49 PM, SilentSam said:

The “Grind” is really an “intraductionary” to Vancouver.

These guys probably don’t do it more than twice a season..  and it’s more of a team building introduction to other players and prospects on the team.

Its a high injury risk hike for any body, including an elite athlete..

Not something you want your Million dollar athletes doing every day or every week..

Not something to really gauge a players abilities.

Apart from a team rah rah day,.  It’s not nessescary.    And a risk.

Aerobic .. actually, Anaerobic exercise is best.

Circuit training with free weights and resistance is best..   compliment that with structured agility and Yoga..   

that will keep injuries at bay.

add Nutritional Knowledge to that.

The Grind will become a disaster the day someone slips and cracks their skull..

only then will posters say it’s a ridiculous thing to train on.

then it will stop.    It should stop , It’s ridiculous.

You sound like a qualified expert, are you going to apply for the strength and conditioning coach?

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, Isam said:

Take a look at the nba it does work. The raptors title run was built by this. Also take a look at the jays. Biggest example is the spurs extending their big three well past their primes.  It really is cool $&!#. Golden state took randy celebrini to help out in their own venture to do increase performance.

My friend, you are completely off base.  Baseball is a joke for fitness.  NBA is running and jumping.  Physical contact is at an all time low, so you don't need strength anymore.

There is no comparison for hockey.  Entirely different and extreme regimen for hockey.  It is by far the hardest sport to train for.  You need speed, stamina, recovery, strength, dexterity, hand eye.  If you have never fought off one or two guys along the boards during a shift.  You have no idea how hard hockey is.  That's like a half a round of MMA and then still skating through the rest of the shift.

• Like 1

Just now, danjr said:

You sound like a qualified expert, are you going to apply for the strength and conditioning coach?

Lol..  I’ve been around a few semi pros / pros to know what is dangerous in training and what is not.

a poor or unfortunate decision can alter a lot .. for the few to remember Luc Bourdon and his potential..  it can be everything.

Training truly needs to be a quality controlled environment.

to athletes who have been living a dream since they’ve been 12years old and only getting the pay back if they turn pro, an injury can be devastating.

Im sure there are many untold stories from gifted athletes in every sport.

2 minutes ago, danjr said:

My friend, you are completely off base.  Baseball is a joke for fitness.  NBA is running and jumping.  Physical contact is at an all time low, so you don't need strength anymore.

There is no comparison for hockey.  Entirely different and extreme regimen for hockey.  It is by far the hardest sport to train for.  You need speed, stamina, recovery, strength, dexterity, hand eye.  If you have never fought off one or two guys along the boards during a shift.  You have no idea how hard hockey is.  That's like a half a round of MMA and then still skating through the rest of the shift.

Basketball is quite complex and takes great co-ordination actually..

I think your the only one to mention BASEBALL . ??

(jumping jacks and sit ups before a barbecue)

lol

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Lol..  I’ve been around a few semi pros / pros to know what is dangerous in training and what is not.

a poor or unfortunate decision can alter a lot .. for the few to remember Luc Bourdon and his potential..  it can be everything.

to athletes who have been living a dream since they’ve been 12years old and only getting the pay back if they turn pro, an injury can be devastating.

WTH does Luc have to do with "training"? He was on his bike.

These athletes are also people and they don't stop living or get bubble wrapped due to their job. Young guys only live once and hockey is only part of their lives, not their entire lives.

• Vintage 1

On 5/15/2022 at 7:21 PM, lmm said:

these 2 statements seem incongruent 

On 5/15/2022 at 8:21 PM, 4petesake said:

I can’t do anything about that, I only made one of the statements.

In the video that accompanies my comment Dan Murphy says at 1:30 that they had to start and finish as a team and you see  (Gaunce?) pushing his teammate uphill. So definitely team building IMO. On a side note I have only seen videos of the Canucks prospects doing the GG so Daniel and Henrik quite possibly did it for their own benefit on their own time as well. Does anyone recollect the full team doing it?

In any case bringing the conversation full circle to my original comment wondering where the Sedins fit into these firings, even though I might disagree with you about the fitness level of the twins, perhaps they thought this was an area the team needed to improve also. After all they had a close personal relationship with these people so either they agreed with the firings or they were over-ruled. It’s entirely possible that you and the Sedins share the same opinion.

And mine was a joke. Are you really questioning the Sedin's fitness? I must have something more important to do (like stare off into space) cause that's just dumb.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

From glassman in Vancouver to ironman in Calgary.  What changed?

Luck I think, he had horrible luck here, his injuries would surprise the average Dr I'm sure. Sadly as I know myself from sports injuries is they start to catch up with you eventually and it's a matter of time until it affects you. Was that a gamble the Canucks as a franchise could take? No! Not even close, what depth did we EVER have losing a D of his calibre? Next to none, especially after losing Salo, which led to lost games when we came up against the OV's and McD's etc. 

Same with Edler, aging and same history of injuries. Giving either of them term was a bad idea! Why gamble when your just getting back in the game, building wise?!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I like how you point out “gifted athletes” and training.  We are not all created equal, or Alf would have been an NBA superstar, or a champion marathon runner.  People can train all they want, but without natural gifts they will not get even close to the NHL.  Our strength and conditioning guys need to help our players become the best athlete (through training) that individual can be.   But even with great (well directed) training each of our players will be limited by their genetics.  The Twins, for example, trained incredibly hard, but they weren’t going to make themselves faster skaters than genetic limitations allowed.  They had great aerobic capacity though.  That was one of their great genetic gifts.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Luck I think, he had horrible luck here, his injuries would surprise the average Dr I'm sure. Sadly as I know myself from sports injuries is they start to catch up with you eventually and it's a matter of time until it affects you. Was that a gamble the Canucks as a franchise could take? No! Not even close, what depth did we EVER have losing a D of his calibre? Next to none, especially after losing Salo, which led to lost games when we came up against the OV's and McD's etc. 

Same with Edler, aging and same history of injuries. Giving either of them term was a bad idea! Why gamble when your just getting back in the game, building wise?!

Career high in points, near career high in O-zone starts/ career low d-zone starts, his d-zone starts haven't been as low since 2012/13 when the Canucks were still good.  He had to block less shots this year as well and had more protection from tougher players.  

The difference for him staying healthy is he wasn't pinned in his own zone as much and wasn't taking as many bone crushing hits and didn't have to block as many shots

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

WTH does Luc have to do with "training"? He was on his bike.

These athletes are also people and they don't stop living or get bubble wrapped due to their job. Young guys only live once and hockey is only part of their lives, not their entire lives.

The conversation went to decision making. 

.. and quite frankly , players agents usually try to help young players avoid certain activities that might impact their physical/ mental well being.

A lot of them are still kids Deb.. and never truly grow up until they are 30.

Edited by SilentSam

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I like how you point out “gifted athletes” and training.  We are not all created equal, or Alf would have been an NBA superstar, or a champion marathon runner.  People can train all they want, but without natural gifts they will not get even close to the NHL.  Our strength and conditioning guys need to help our players become the best athlete (through training) that individual can be.   But even with great (well directed) training each of our players will be limited by their genetics.  The Twins, for example, trained incredibly hard, but they weren’t going to make themselves faster skaters than genetic limitations allowed.  They had great aerobic capacity though.  That was one of their great genetic gifts.  

Bang on Alf..

and trust the “Grouse Grind” had nothing to do with their level of fitness.

It was simply something they had participated in.

Edited by SilentSam

On 5/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

To add to that...  when Boudreau came in, he noted that our team was out of shape and he held a mini bootcamp to kick it up a notch.  

If true, what does that say about Green who had five seasons to evaluate this?

Doesn't this say a lot more about that coaching staff? It's pretty damning stuff. I thought Green's preseason camps were famous for making ppl throw up...

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If true, what does that say about Green who had five seasons to evaluate this?

Doesn't this say a lot more about that coaching staff? It's pretty damning stuff. I thought Green's preseason camps were famous for making ppl throw up...

Doesn’t Bruce’s comments about our team’s lack of fitness say more about the players?  It’s up to them to follow the programs set up for each.  

I'm fine with replacing people, provided the evidence points to the need to do so.

I've wanted an audit done on the medical/doctors and training staff for awhile.

I can't say for sure that the Canucks have been doing a poor job here, yet have seen enough injuries to our players to warrant a review.