The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks' dismiss 5 more staff, this time from Human Performance - including Roger Takahashi

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

We fired the guy who built this?  But why?  :lol:

spacer.png

Jake's bad habits and lack of discipline built this not Canucks training staff. Trainers can only guide, but the athletes need to be committed to seeing it through.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Jake's bad habits and lack of discipline built this not Canucks training staff. Trainers can only guide, but the athletes need to be committed to seeing it through.

That’s true that trainers can’t do the work for the players but there absolutely has to be accountability.

Virtanen coming in out of shape should have landed him a ticket to Utica. Instead they gifted him a spot on the roster because of his draft position.

Accountability under Bennings watch was piss poor.

Edited by DeNiro

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s true that trainers can’t do the work for the players but there absolutely has to be accountability.

Virtanen coming in out of shape should have landed him a ticket to Utica. Instead they gifted him a spot on the roster because of his draft position.

Accountability under Bennings watch was piss poor.

Yes you're right, but that would be a coaching and management decision. I wonder what the cba has to say about how much control the team can exercise over players during the off season...

Anyway, I do hope that there is more accountability and that players don't get rewarded for poor choices just because of last year or draft position.

16 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Yes you're right, but that would be a coaching and management decision. I wonder what the cba has to say about how much control the team can exercise over players during the off season...

Anyway, I do hope that there is more accountability and that players don't get rewarded for poor choices just because of last year or draft position.

Well if you’ve got competent trainers they should be giving players very specific and measurable goals. Goals that can be tested come training camp. The rest is up to them with how they train but they better be ready to come to training camp and prove it.

If players don’t meet those goal set out by the trainers then it is up to management and coaches to decide what to do. But there has to be black and white consequences in place for players who fail to meet these goals (waivers, healthy scratches, reassignment to the minors).

If players know what the consequences of failing to meet their training goals are then it will be quite transparent as to why they are being disciplined. It should motivate players to not want to miss their goals too.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well if you’ve got competent trainers they should be giving players very specific and measurable goals. Goals that can be tested come training camp. The rest is up to them with how they train but they better be ready to come to training camp and prove it.

If players don’t meet those goal set out by the trainers then it is up to management and coaches to decide what to do. But there has to be black and white consequences in place for players who fail to meet these goals (waivers, healthy scratches, reassignment to the minors).

If players know what the consequences of failing to meet their training goals are then it will be quite transparent as to why they are being disciplined. It should motivate players to not want to miss their goals too.

Do we want players who aren’t internally motivated and super competitive?  Guys, like fat Jake, don’t have the compete we want.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do we want players who aren’t internally motivated and super competitive?  Guys, like fat Jake, don’t have the compete we want.  

No of course not.

Which is why the draft combine is a good place to start.

But if we do get those players it’s important to let them know there are consequences for them not meeting certain team goals.

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Or why don't you challenge the Sedins to a fitness contest? You know, because they're so lame with how they do it.

Don't be bitter because the Sedins are fitter. 

Not self righteous....just feel the Sedins were totally unappreciated by some.

Sure why don't we see if the Sedins can put in a 12 hour day moving furniture

I'd be willing to give them a shot

I got +20 years on those guys, but would be willing to bet they couldn't keep up to me for a weeks work

But you know it would be fun

I'd totally give it a go

can you arrange it?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

Sure why don't we see if the Sedins can put in a 12 hour day moving furniture

I'd be willing to give them a shot

I got +20 years on those guys, but would be willing to bet they couldn't keep up to me for a weeks work

But you know it would be fun

I'd totally give it a go

can you arrange it?

Better yet, you lace 'em up and try to defend against them. Good luck with that.  :towel:

You're confusing strength with fitness. I worked in a moving company...the guys were as strong as bulls. They were also the ones who jammed out partway up Grouse and were huffing and puffing (true story...I have pictures of them).  They were strong but they also took a lot of breaks in between.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Better yet, you lace 'em up and try to defend against them. Good luck with that.  :towel:

You're confusing strength with fitness. I worked in a moving company...the guys were as strong as bulls. They were also the ones who jammed out partway up Grouse (true story...I have pictures of them).  

No I am not confusing strength with fitness

I have worked with many a bigger BeefCakey muscle man who I have had to tuck into bed and the end of the day.

So I know who you are talking about.

however I am the Hank Sedin of my crew, the smart one who doesn't get injured because I out think the need for brawn, I am also the strongest but not the biggest

Its that thing we like to call "Old Man Strength" haha

But I digress, what I have is stamina

Could I be fitter, yup

could I be stronger, yup

what I have is industry specific muscles, they won't help me on skates and won't help me with the Grouse Grind

Which gets us back to my original thought, How does being the Grouse Grind champs help a hockey player?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lmm said:

I have worked with many a bigger BeefCakey muscle man who I have had to tuck into bed and the end of the day.

however I am the Hank Sedin of my crew, the smart one who doesn't get injured because I out think the need for brawn, I am also the strongest but not the biggest

Could I be fitter, yup

could I be stronger, yup

what I have is industry specific muscles, they won't help me on skates and won't help me with the Grouse Grind

Which gets us back to my original thought, How does being the Grouse Grind champs help a hockey player?

It's a good cardio workout which helps with the ability to deliver oxygen to the working muscles as well as increases tolerance to the build-up of lactic acid.

They don't do a leisurely hike up the mountain, they run up the mountain. And that's likely just one component of their training anyway. Anyone who discounts how that activity can help an athlete really doesn't get it.

Repetitive moves that increase strength by targeting specific areas/muscles is different. A "run" up Grouse is great for the leg muscles but it's also of huge aerobic benefit too.

If you don't understand how having good healthy lung capacity helps with hockey, start there. Especially in today's hockey...it's AS important to focus on that end of things (endurance/stamina) than it is on brute strength. Plugs may be strong but they're awfully easy to dance.

It's a balance between strength and cardiovascular fitness that's needed....not just developing muscular strength.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It's a good cardio workout which helps with the ability to deliver oxygen to the working muscles as well as increases tolerance to the build-up of lactic acid.

They don't do a leisurely hike up the mountain, they run up the mountain. And that's likely just one component of their training anyway. Anyone who discounts how that activity can help an athlete really doesn't get it.

Repetitive moves that increase strength by targeting specific areas/muscles is different. A "run" up Grouse is great for the leg muscles but it's also of huge aerobic benefit too.

If you don't understand how having good healthy lung capacity helps with hockey, start there. Especially in today's hockey...it's AS important to focus on that end of things (endurance/stamina) than it is on brute strength. Plugs may be strong but they're awfully easy to dance.

It's a balance between strength and cardiovascular fitness that's needed....not just developing muscular strength.

It really isnt  a good hockey related workout cuz ice hockey is more anaerobic.

• Cheers 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

From glassman in Vancouver to ironman in Calgary.  What changed?

For one, what's changed is that Tanev is no longer playing for Green with his 'collapse to the net and force the D to become target dummies'  style of coaching.

I imagine the medical staff is next. Questionable diagnosis and prescriptions. 

Also, cant remember who mentioned Pettersson and falling down, but im not sure that he has the frame to pack on muscle. Every time i look at him, i just picture a big white Gumby toy. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumby

Edited by MystifyNCrucify
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I imagine the medical staff is next. Questionable diagnosis and prescriptions. 

Also, cant remember who mentioned Pettersson and falling down, but im not sure that he has the frame to pack on muscle. Every time i look at him, i just picture a big white Gumby toy. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumby

Yes, certainly a fragile creature - he is indeed.   After watching some of the first round playoff games over the past couple of weeks, I can't imagine Petty survivng through four full rounds of the playoffs along with a few others on our light weight timid team.  Aside from an almost complete lack of pushback by our players and maybe only one player willing to "drop 'em" (Schenn), they simply lack the physical size and grit to endure a punishing four rounds (up to 28 games) of full playoff tempo hockey.  This team is presently built as a below average regular season, non-playoff - finesse team.  Anyone not willing to admit this is in a state of denial, not hockey savy and expereinced enough to see the glaring holes on this team, or still in an illusionary romantic relationship with Uncle Jim B.

I strongly suspect that when JR begins the purge of many of our players in the next year or two, that they will be replaced with some bigger/stronger players (aside from speedier), as he himself expressed concern about in his January 2nd press conference, where he stated; "the team has to be transitioned into a stronger team to be a regular playoff team" .  It's pretty obvious that this team is physically built for a Swedish Leajue Championship at present, NOT the Stanley Cup Playoffs.   

Most "Normal" Canucks Fans are elated that we finally have a President that's willing to state what any experienced hockey fan can see in plain sight.   Those fresh eyes of his, Alvin's and "The Chipmunk Girls" are what we've needed for years after having a GM & Coach that refused to admit their failures in an effort to selfishly protect their jobs. 

I'm looking forward and excited to seeing the changes on the way!  This franchise has needed a complete housecleaning for well over a decade!

The Athletties: The bodyslam, the response, the troll and the Demko story -  The Athletic Bambi Slipping GIF - Bambi Slipping Slide GIFs

12 hours ago, lmm said:

Could I be fitter, yup

could I be stronger, yup

It's not about being Grouse Grind champs, it's an idea to team build, which I support. I'm sure many players still do the Grind if they are in the region during the offseason.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1