The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford on DFO Rundown Podcast

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

28 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Wrong.  A team friendly sweetheart deal with a NTC gonna be served up and if you don’t like it, leave the kitchen

I feel like you flex these quotes as an FU towards people suggesting Miller is likely to be traded. I'm sure the majority would be absolutely thrilled if he signed a team friendly deal. I'm firmly planted on team trade Miller, but if he's signing a 7.5 million dollar term I'd gladly eat crow and get a Miller jersey. 

Most of us are just grounded in the real world, and absolutely nothing so far has lead us to believe he's going to sign a team friendly deal. If anything, interviews with both our management and his agent have pointed in the opposite direction.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, JM_ said:

no of course not,  just looking at the trade on its own. If we can replace Miller with Forsbeg, and collect a lot of futures that would be a nice move. 

yup, how they create cap otherwise is really important. Moving Miller only moves 5 mil, not really enough on its own to make big moves. 

Move out Miller for futures, Myers replaced with cheaper Lyubushkin...that's a pretty good start. 

Just now, aGENT said:

Move out Miller for futures, Myers replaced with cheaper Lyubushkin...that's a pretty good start. 

oh man tho, if there isn't a C replacement I'm worried. 

I do think Miller and Myers are the likely guys we move on from. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I feel like you flex these quotes as an FU towards people suggesting Miller is likely to be traded. I'm sure the majority would be absolutely thrilled if he signed a team friendly deal. I'm firmly planted on team trade Miller, but if he's signing a 7.5 million dollar term I'd gladly eat crow and get a Miller jersey. 

Most of us are just grounded in the real world, and absolutely nothing so far has lead us to believe he's going to sign a team friendly deal. If anything, interviews with both our management and his agent have pointed in the opposite direction.

I don’t have much faith in our sports media coverage. Look at how they claimed BB was good as gone. Management has said many times how they value Miller and when reporters were trying to influence a pre deadline deal, they basically laughed at them.

I believe our management will go through walls to keep Miller and I also believe Miller loves his team mates, BB and VanCity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And Garland out for picks.

Miller (5) + Myers (6) + Garland (5) = 16 mil out.  Bring in six in young players from the Miller Trade.  Net 10.  Win. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t have much faith in our sports media coverage. Look at how they claimed BB was good as gone. Management has said many times how they value Miller and when reporters were trying to influence a pre deadline deal, they basically laughed at them.

I believe our management will go through walls to keep Miller and I also believe Miller loves his team mates, BB and VanCity.

Our owner might suggest (strongly) to management we extend Miller.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Our owner might suggest (strongly) to management we extend Miller.  

I hope so but it may not come to that. It’s too obvious what Miller means to this team.

Losing this guy will devastate the team. You will never get proper value.

You might as well trade away everyone not named Hughes & Demko because we won’t be any good for at least 5 more years (Petey won’t want to stay here).

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I hope so but it may not come to that. It’s too obvious what Miller means to this team.

Losing this guy will devastate the team. You will never get proper value.

You might as well trade away everyone not named Hughes & Demko because we won’t be any good for at least 5 more years (Petey won’t want to stay here).

I tend to agree.  The time is now (and the four years left on Demko’s deal) to go all in.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Who claimed this? I'd reckon I listen to more 650 then the majority (mostly in podcast form in the shop) and I don't think I recall anyone saying this. Nearly everyone, if just not straight up everyone on the radio, said that the most likely scenario was always Bruce was going to come back.

I entirely disagree that our management is willing to go through walls. Rutherford straight up has stated that they have a number and will pitch that to Miller, but can't afford to go over it. This isn't my opinion, this is what he has said. Pair that with the fact that Rutherford is, and always has been, known as an exceedingly straight shooter and means what he says, I don't know where you're getting that idea.

Hopefully Miller does love this city and team as much as you say. Hopefully we see him sign a deal with Vancouver for 8 or under. Because if he gets traded that means he wasn't willing to take a team friendly deal like you say and was chasing the dollar over the dream. Guess we'll find out this summer.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Who claimed this? I'd reckon I listen to more 650 then the majority (mostly in podcast form in the shop) and I don't think I recall anyone saying this. Nearly everyone, if just not straight up everyone on the radio, said that the most likely scenario was always Bruce was going to come back.

I entirely disagree that our management is willing to go through walls. Rutherford straight up has stated that they have a number and will pitch that to Miller, but can't afford to go over it. This isn't my opinion, this is what he has said. Pair that with the fact that Rutherford is, and always has been, known as an exceedingly straight shooter and means what he says, I don't know where you're getting that idea.

Hopefully Miller does love this city and team as much as you say. Hopefully we see him sign a deal with Vancouver for 8 or under. Because if he gets traded that means he wasn't willing to take a team friendly deal like you say and was chasing the dollar over the dream. Guess we'll find out this summer.

Good post. There are lots of pending UFAs who say they love the team, love the city, and want to bring in a Cup but then do their best to get a contract that hurts the team and reduces the chances of getting a cup. 

As for Miller's value -- at a cap hit of 5.25 million in his prime, he is great value.  But at a  cap hit over 8 million 3 or 4 years down the road (likely well  past his prime) he would be a net liability to the team. Winning a cup in the cap era is all about a player's value relative to his cap hit. .

JR has made it clear that he understands this point. And he has been very restrained in his comments about Miller.  Basically he has said that he want to talk with his agent,  find out about their expectations and go from there. His comments in the interview that gave rise to this thread sound a lot like preparing the fan base for Miller trade. (Build around the young guys, try to focus on guys 26 or under, create cap room,  etc.)

If Miller is willing to take a team-friendly deal, JR would be happy, but I think that is unlikely to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Good post. There are lots of pending UFAs who say they love the team, love the city, and want to bring in a Cup but then do their best to get a contract that hurts the team and reduces the chances of getting a cup. 

This is a bit juvenile. Miller has a family. The money he makes on this next contract is to set him, his wife, and their kids up for the rest of their lives. This contract is 6-8 years for us, but it affects decades upon decades for people much more important to him than “fans”.

Even if he really likes Vancouver, should he take less for his family just for the longshot of the team here being able to improve because of it? If it’s about him winning, it makes more sense for him to go to a stronger team than talking below market and staying here.

8 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

So far from Rutherford and Allvin all I've heard is talk, and to be honest, I kind of hear the same things Benning said when he first came aboard. No need to tear it down, we can improve on the fly, we have good players and we're not that far away, we're having our scouting meetings to assess our players and will look at the market and if a deal makes sense and makes us a better team, we'll do it. I hear essentially the same things coming from Rutherford; only the style and underlying experience favour Rutherford. I am also not enthused yet about Allvin, but it is early yet and I expect more action after the Stanley Cup is awarded and teams begin tinkering with their rosters in earnest. So, to everyone who has jumped with both feet on the Rutherford/Allvin bandwagon, why don't we all wait and see what happens in July, August and September before anointing them as saviours. Because after all is said and done, usually more is said than done.

Benning said that when our core was on the down side and about to retire and consistently made moves against the long-term strategy.

Also, disagree that it's all talk, there has been a lot done in the organization within the first 5 months not related to player movement and setting new standards. JR/PA are taking over a core that already consists of a 1C, 1D and 1G in their early 20s with multiple other young pieces. Their first few player moves are already supporting the long-term strategy.

Of course we have to wait for the moves, but they have history of being best of the best management groups ever in hockey. The intelligence and skill level of this management group is quite high and their communication levels are impeccable so far. Unfair to compare that to Benning's tenure at all. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

S650 and all the insiders close to the team (Irf, Sat and Dhaliwal) have been pretty bang on with their reporting.

JR himself said they didn't trade Miller at the deadline because of the playoff push. There were confirmed trade offers ready such as NYR's Lundqvist, Chytil and 1st. He's also mentioned that if players like Miller, Horvat and Boeser don't agree to deals the team likes, they will be moved.

BB was always reported to stay unless an opportunity arose closer to home in Toronto.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

S650 and all the insiders close to the team (Irf, Sat and Dhaliwal) have been pretty bang on with their reporting.

JR himself said they didn't trade Miller at the deadline because of the playoff push. There were confirmed trade offers ready such as NYR's Lundqvist, Chytil and 1st. He's also mentioned that if players like Miller, Horvat and Boeser don't agree to deals the team likes, they will be moved.

BB was always reported to stay unless an opportunity arose closer to home in Toronto.

Where did you see the confirmed trade offer from NYR?

27 minutes ago, mll said:

Honestly, I cannot recall the exact source right now, I just remember it was a good source who reported the offer around TDL.

NYR really wanted Miller before they fell back on Copp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

Freidmsn reported JR took Miller off the market a bout two weeks before the TDL.  He said that the Canucks were planning on re-signing Miller to a contract that reflects a number one centre and will move out cap to do it.  Then all the Miller Trade rumours stopped.  IMO that’s the point our owner stepped in and said to keep Miller (and others key to the team’s winning) down the stretch in hopes of making the playoffs.  We could have traded Miller for the return suggested, but (our owner) interfered.  Now, we will either re-sign Miller for a contract that will be an anchor when Petey and Hughes are in their primes, or we will trade him for a lot less than we could have at that past TDL.

it’s sad we bleed assets when Allvin said that’s exactly what we can’t afford to do.