The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Chiasson may be set to sign with HC Lugano (Switzerland)

Alex Chiasson possibly headed to Switzerland:

After a decade in the NHL, Alex Chiasson may be setting his sights on European hockey.

According to a report by Omar Gargantini of Swiss broadcaster RSI, Chiasson may be headed to Lugano of the Swiss National League.

Chiasson, 31, scored 13 goals in 61 games for the Vancouver Canucks in 2021-22, his sixth NHL team in a 10-year NHL career. He’s also skated for the Dallas Stars, Washington Capitals, Ottawa Senators, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.

Chiasson was invited to Canucks training camp last fall on a professional tryout offer, then earned a contract with the team as the season started. He was signed to serve as an extra option on the power play — he’s proven to be a solid power play contributor wherever he’s been in the NHL — while skating on the fourth line.

As the season progressed, he was asked to pinch hit at times on the top scoring lines and had a solid finish to the season, picking up seven goals in the final 12 games of the season.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-alex-chiasson-possibly-headed-to-switzerland-report

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Devron said:

The first half of the season sucked. He was part of that. He played quite well along with most of the group once Bruce was on board.

The hate was primarily due because of the young players we let go not actually his play in itself 

Yup, I'm sure he'd be serviceable elsewhere but he's not what a lot of fans want in that spot. Losing Gadjovich, even if he hasn't done much in San Jose yet, further stoked those flames.

If he heads out I'll be thrilled, I'd rather see prospects start getting more shots at our bottom six instead of our finding roadblock stopgaps to put in front of them. Not that I don't wish him anything but the best, it's not personal. 

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Stech said:

I find that a bit surprising considering how hot he was to finish the year. Does his agent think he’s not going to get any NHL offers beyond a PTO?

A lot of these Euro contracts seem to have an opt out clause if they are able to sign with an NHL team.  Could be that, or, maybe he wants to make good money, playing a bigger role, in one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I found it a little weird how much hate was directed his way. He pretty much delivered as was advertised. He typically will get you about 12 goals and 25 points. Not much physicality and kind of a pylon on defence. That's pretty much what he delivered.

Not sure why so many seemed to be expecting more of him.

This is very standard on this forum.  7th Defenseman is absolute tire fire garbage and so is the 13th forward.  No need to consider position on the depth chart or salary.  Picking on the 7th defenseman and the 13th forward is a time honored tradition on this forum.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Devron said:

The first half of the season sucked. He was part of that. He played quite well along with most of the group once Bruce was on board.

The hate was primarily due because of the young players we let go not actually his play in itself 

True, he did suck in the first half but who apart from Miller and a few others didn't? That's on Green.

Young players that were let go is also on Green and JB. It's not like Chiasson said "Nope, I'm playing. Get rid of the kid".

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

This is very standard on this forum.  7th Defenseman is absolute tire fire garbage and so is the 13th forward.  No need to consider position on the depth chart or salary.  Picking on the 7th defenseman and the 13th forward is a time honored tradition on this forum.  

People seemed to like guys like Biega and Burroughs just fine.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For league minimum Chiasson is a good choice.  Don’t see why we wouldn’t keep him.  It’s not like we have a prospect coming up and taking those minutes.  

Depends on who he's taking a job away from, at some point we've gotta give our prospects rope. 

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on who he's taking a job away from, at some point we've gotta give our prospects rope. 

That’s the thing.  Right now we don’t have any guys coming up from Abby to take Chiasson’s minutes.  Maybe JR us thinking Karlsson?