The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford interview on Donnie & Dhali

Rate this topic

Googlie

• Googlie changed the title to Rutherford interview on Donnie & Dhali
13 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I'll say this much about patience: Jim Rutherford is credible when he says he wants to take the decison-making step-by-step so as not to take a step back.  Impatience is a killer.  Current state of the team, and how things need to be undone is entirely due to the impatience of the last group that ran the hockey ops.

Revisionist history: Linden was saying the same thing that Jim Rutherford is saying. Gillis was saying the same thing Jim Rutherford is saying.  Guess it took a failed eight year experiment for Francesco Aquilini to realize he should have been listening to the smart guys in the room instead of the dumb one.

The way Gillis destroyed the franchise is the definition of impatience.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Yah right.  He was advocating for a re-build after the 2012 playoff debacle vs. the Kings which Aquilini refused.  He did what every GM with a team in their cup window does -- that's add parts using draft picks and prospects as trade currency. 

He also handicapped the franchise with the Luongo trade where he was stupid enough to eat salary over a long term.  Anyone who thinks that trade was acceptable is unfit for any hockey related position.

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Except that Gillis is the reason Benning had literally nothing to work with when he took over. I don’t like either but I’m just stating absolute facts. 

What you're describing is the cycle that teams go from pretenders to contenders to pretenders.  For sure Gillis did a poor job of scouring the market and acquiring young undrafted players (the way Rutherford was able to do with the Pens) and picking crap in the amateur draft (only win = Bo Horvat), but he mortgaged the future to give the Canucks a decent run of 2-3 years where the team had a legit shot at winning the cup. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I'll say this much about patience: Jim Rutherford is credible when he says he wants to take the decison-making step-by-step so as not to take a step back.  Impatience is a killer.  Current state of the team, and how things need to be undone is entirely due to the impatience of the last group that ran the hockey ops.

Revisionist history: Linden was saying the same thing that Jim Rutherford is saying. Gillis was saying the same thing Jim Rutherford is saying.  Guess it took a failed eight year experiment for Francesco Aquilini to realize he should have been listening to the smart guys in the room instead of the dumb one.

Totally agree, I wish they would've rebuilt properly years ago, instead of trying to fast track playoffs. Canucks have almost no prospects because of it - and still no playoffs. I'm really glad JR is in charge and like he said, taking it step by step to get better. I'm patient if they're building a winner.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Yah right.  He was advocating for a re-build after the 2012 playoff debacle vs. the Kings which Aquilini refused.  He did what every GM with a team in their cup window does -- that's add parts using draft picks and prospects as trade currency. 

So how come teams like Colorado are cup contenders year after year all the while having multiple top prospects in their system?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1