The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller to LA (Proposal)

29 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

OK..........you guys might through me under the bus on this one.........but hear me out

Miller and Rathbone (LHD)

for 

Roy, 2022-1st (19th), Fagemo, and Faber (RHD) 

So, let's look at the guts of this deal and rationalize it for a minute..............................

Miller......yes he is a 100 point player and yes he is the best player in the trade for now, but there is a growing opinion that his return may not be what we like, in terms of value. How I see this trade, as I see all trade, is that it is Miller's return, plus any cap saved, which then can be flipped for a UFA down the road. Now, you have to look at Miller's cap as his greater Cap, which will be in the $8,000,000 range. that is a big hit on a team that is still rebuilding.

Rathbone......My favorite prospect. Someone I do not want to loose, but IMO, this is the time to move him, as including him in this trade allows us to basically do a horizontal trade within a trade, in that, although Rathbone is a solid prospect, Faber is ranked 10 spots higher in most, "players not in the NHL". Coupling that is that it gives us a bonafide RHD prospect in Faber.

Roy.........Roy is a perfect fit for Quinn Hughes, and protects him defensively. Roy's cap hit is $3,150,000 for the next 2 years, which gives us a huge cap savings, short term. If we are building for when Horvat is still here, than Roy fits that age at 27 years old. Roy is the #2 RHD in LA, stuck behind Doughty, and soon to graduate Drysdale, not to mention Durzi, Spence and Grans.

So, Roy is expendable and so is Faber, if you look at the great context of LA's players.

Faber....as explained in the Roy comments, is a great prospects that is ranked ahead of Rathbone and is 4 years younger. Faber will certainly be a great add, and will graduate next off season. If our goal is to add prospects that fit our timeline, IMO, Faber does this.

Fagemo.......this guy is a sleeper, IMO, and had a great 1st year in the AHL. Fagemo won the U20 scoring championship, the year Hoglander was suspended in the last game. Fagemo was Hoglander's linemate. I see this as a sneaky add.

2022-1st (19th OA).....I think there will be some great prospects, in that area, and may even get a faller, that surprises everyone. JR wants to refill the prospect cabinet, I think this helps. It might also be possible for JR to trade down and get a later 1st and an late 2nd/early 3rd, like what was  done in the Schneider deal in NYR. watch JR do this to recover some lost picks or send the 2022-1st + Poolman to Arizona for Crouse ?

I am betting right now, that you think we will get more, I am betting we get less, and for the most part this is a futures type deal.

Without doing a deep dive into the prospects you mention as potential gets from L.A.... Your argument is compelling.  At first glance, I'd say this would be a good trade for both sides.... Maybe a little better deal for van?  However, why I could see L.A. as being a good trading partner is the fact that they are transiting out if their 30+ year old guys to the under 24 year old guys... But there is this year or two gap between the transition....AND I think L.A. wants to start winning now. (Doughty and Kopitar want one last good run).They can do that, especially with JT centering their 1st or 2nd line.  As you mentioned, L.A. has an abundance of prospects they can use as trading chip and still keep their best ones for themselves.   Good proposal!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

I'd do this.  

I think it would get done without Fagemo/Rathbone though, I think both teams keep ytheir guys.

Faber, Roy, 1st for JT Miller

Roy steps in and is a very solid partner for Hughes

Faber is the RD prospect with top 4 potemtial that we need

The 1st could produce a high end prospect, or be packaged with our own to move in the 8-10 range to get Geekie, or Savoie.

LA makes a good trading partner for us, whether it is for Miller, Boeser, or Garland.

• Upvote 1

If the Nucks could swing this trade package, I would be ecstatic.  I also love the trade for Crouse!

The Kings have several RFA signings, including Durzi and Kempe, which could be quite pricey.  I'm

not sure that they want to sign a +8M contract for a C/LW when they have an abundance in that role.

What they really need is a top 6RW.  Unfortunately the Canucks RWs are not as valuable as JT, so

they wouldn't garner an even close return in a trade.

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If the Nucks could swing this trade package, I would be ecstatic.  I also love the trade for Crouse!

The Kings have several RFA signings, including Durzi and Kempe, which could be quite pricey.  I'm

not sure that they want to sign a +8M contract for a C/LW when they have an abundance in that role.

What they really need is a top 6RW.  Unfortunately the Canucks RWs are not as valuable as JT, so

they wouldn't garner an even close return in a trade.

Boeser maybe?  Less return but still as you and others have said.  L.A. have an abundance of pieces that would compliment our roster.  A number of different scenarios could work.  Höglander or Pearson as part of the package may work as well.

Edited by Hogs & Podz

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

OK..........you guys might through me under the bus on this one.........but hear me out

for 

So, let's look at the guts of this deal and rationalize it for a minute..............................

Miller......yes he is a 100 point player and yes he is the best player in the trade for now, but there is a growing opinion that his return may not be what we like, in terms of value. How I see this trade, as I see all trade, is that it is Miller's return, plus any cap saved, which then can be flipped for a UFA down the road. Now, you have to look at Miller's cap as his greater Cap, which will be in the $8,000,000 range. that is a big hit on a team that is still rebuilding.

Rathbone......My favorite prospect. Someone I do not want to loose, but IMO, this is the time to move him, as including him in this trade allows us to basically do a horizontal trade within a trade, in that, although Rathbone is a solid prospect, Faber is ranked 10 spots higher in most, "players not in the NHL". Coupling that is that it gives us a bonafide RHD prospect in Faber.

Roy.........Roy is a perfect fit for Quinn Hughes, and protects him defensively. Roy's cap hit is $3,150,000 for the next 2 years, which gives us a huge cap savings, short term. If we are building for when Horvat is still here, than Roy fits that age at 27 years old. Roy is the #2 RHD in LA, stuck behind Doughty, and soon to graduate Drysdale, not to mention Durzi, Spence and Grans.

So, Roy is expendable and so is Faber, if you look at the great context of LA's players.

Faber....as explained in the Roy comments, is a great prospects that is ranked ahead of Rathbone and is 4 years younger. Faber will certainly be a great add, and will graduate next off season. If our goal is to add prospects that fit our timeline, IMO, Faber does this.

Fagemo.......this guy is a sleeper, IMO, and had a great 1st year in the AHL. Fagemo won the U20 scoring championship, the year Hoglander was suspended in the last game. Fagemo was Hoglander's linemate. I see this as a sneaky add.

2022-1st (19th OA).....I think there will be some great prospects, in that area, and may even get a faller, that surprises everyone. JR wants to refill the prospect cabinet, I think this helps. It might also be possible for JR to trade down and get a later 1st and an late 2nd/early 3rd, like what was  done in the Schneider deal in NYR. watch JR do this to recover some lost picks or send the 2022-1st + Poolman to Arizona for Crouse ?

I am betting right now, that you think we will get more, I am betting we get less, and for the most part this is a futures type deal.

I think if we're going to be facing Miller in our division for 6 or 7 more years (assuming they are good years) I'd prefer a C replacement and Clarke. 

So, Miller for Viladri and Clarke or LA can go pound sand. 

Miller gives LA so much depth at C that we need to collect one back our way, since we'll likely have to battle past them for the next few years. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Article on the Kings potential trade offerings...

https://thehockeywriters.com/kings-trade-chips-2022-offseason/

I've said it many times in many different threads here, Allvin/JR should be targeting Clarke.  LA has a stockpile of RHD and there's no room for all of them on their roster.  If LA plans on taking the next step they're likely going to have to give up a blue-chip RHD prospect to address a need at the forward position and there's no reason that asset can't be going to us in exchange for Miller (in whatever package Allvin sees fit).   I don't see them parting with either Durzi or Roy as both of them played key roles on the team this year and moving them in favour of a rookie isn't necessarily a move forward so that leaves Spence/Clarke/Granz as tradeable assets - Clarke is the prime piece there in my view. 

• Like 1

@Fanuck @JM_

So here are a few thought so far, in response to your comments.........

I think Clarke is a greater prospect than Faber, although Faber is a pretty good prospect in his own right...............sure I would love Clarke, so would LA, and I think Faber would be available, I am not sure Clarke is.................

As for telling them to pound sand Jimmy................I would be over the moon if we got Clarke, as I wanted him last year..........but we know how that all turned out! :picard: I just don't think any blue chips of that caliber are on the table from any team.........But I would think this as a significant win, if we were to pull this off.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@Fanuck @JM_

So here are a few thought so far, in response to your comments.........

I think Clarke is a greater prospect than Faber, although Faber is a pretty good prospect in his own right...............sure I would love Clarke, so would LA, and I think Faber would be available, I am not sure Clarke is.................

As for telling them to pound sand Jimmy................I would be over the moon if we got Clarke, as I wanted him last year..........but we know how that all turned out! :picard: I just don't think any blue chips of that caliber are on the table from any team.........But I would think this as a significant win, if we were to pull this off.

I think within our own division the price must be high. If we need to settle, lets at least do it with a team in the east. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think within our own division the price must be high. If we need to settle, lets at least do it with a team in the east. 

Yeah...love JT, but I could get to start hating him after watching him padding his stats at our team's expense. 

Really don't want that to happen.  He's been so awesome for us.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

for 

Roy.........Roy is a perfect fit for Quinn Hughes, and protects him defensively. Roy's cap hit is $3,150,000 for the next 2 years, which gives us a huge cap savings, short term. If we are building for when Horvat is still here, than Roy fits that age at 27 years old. Roy is the #2 RHD in LA, stuck behind Doughty, and soon to graduate Clarke, not to mention Durzi, Spence and Grans. So, Roy is expendable and so is Faber, if you look at the great context of LA's players.

I really like LA kings prospect pool ... I have been saying Miller and 2023 3rd rounder --- ( Want to keep Rathbone favourite prospect if possible )

( Faber, 21 RD, 6'2,  not signed NHL contract or Grans 20, RD, 6'4,) Fagemo 22, 6'0, Lemieux  26, 6'1, 215,  2nd rounder 2022

Also like Valardi 23, 6'3 - C - ready to play regular 3rd line minutes-- Valardi or Fagemo..