The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] MY SHOT AT THE OFF-SEASON OVERHAUL

The rest are possible (I don't know Pittsburgh well enough to see if they'll take Garland/ Myers, the rest are alright), but Schneider's been discussed ad nauseaum for being the Rangers' sticking point for not doing this trade (along with the big money to be owed to Miller), whereas we don't want to obtain Lundkvist who the Rangers offered.

19 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

The rest are possible (I don't know Pittsburgh well enough to see if they'll take Garland/ Myers, the rest are alright), but Schneider's been discussed ad nauseaum for being the Rangers' sticking point for not doing this trade (along with the big money to be owed to Miller), whereas we don't want to obtain Lundkvist who the Rangers offered.

I know, was just thinking they could be more willing now based off how the off-season has gone. And what adding a player like miller would do for their forwards. 

I could see Miller in a Boston Uni but with Pasta rumoured unhappiness not sure if that would make the trade fit more likely or less likely. 

Just thought I’d take a crack combining the most prevalent rumours before it all starts to go down in July.

Usually where there’s smoke there is fire and adding Marino and Schneider while removing Myers would be an awesome outcome from my perspective.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Based off all the rumours, smoke, interviews I’ve heard over the past while and kind of what the management team

looks to do with zero regard for cap numbers (hope everything works) here’s my estimate of a what our offseason could look like:

1. Kuzmenko

I don’t know if he’s a fit on our team. Stylistically I’m unsure if his game is going to translate to anything better than 45-55pt complimentary winger. And I think he will

be signing with LA or Edmonton over us. But if we do sign him I hope I’m wrong and he fits in amazing. So I’ve included him on the roster. Based off his and boesers year management could decide which of the two will stay long term.

2. Big UFA Splash with FORSBERG

With uncertainty with Boeser’s ceiling and future with the team we need an elite winger for EP40. Who better than Forsberg? 

The future line of Forsberg-EP40-Podkolzin will be disgusting. And perhaps the vision of that combination for Forsberg would allow for a nice / fair contract negotiation. I doubt he’s just going to go to the highest bidder.

Forwards will be built around Forsberg EP40 and Horvat for salary structure as well going forward.

Makes up for the offense lost by Miller instantly. Which sets up my next point. 

3. Trade Miller to NYR

Trade Miller and Poolman (partial retain if needed) to NYR for Schneider, Chytil, and a conditional pick (2nd round pick for next years draft that turns into a 1st if they win a cup or resign miller)

Series with Tampa so far has shown they are close but need more depth up front. Miller is a big piece and he’s the one that got away that they can bring back. Schneider has to be the focal piece of the trade for us though. With fox and trouba ahead of Schneider and lundqvist coming up it makes sense for them to be able to do this trade. Even if Drury is very fond of Schneider. Lundqvist isn’t proven enough for chytil to be the only guarantee piece in the trade and it’s not a stylistic fit with our left side being so dynamic already. Also answers our question of 3C next season.

4. Trade Garland and Myers to PITS

A hockey trade with Pits is expected here. And with the talk of Marino I could see this trade happening:

Garland and Myers to Pits for Marino and Kapanen

Trades a risk, but we shed a little salary, downgrade on garland, and upgrade our right side. Marino vs Myers is mostly in age with a big improvement on stylistic

fit with OEL or Hughes as a partner. Which is what we need. I think he will perform very well with either OEL or Hughes.

If we could keep garland someone how and do this trade with Myers + for Marino I’d be very happy though.

5. Pearson and Dickinson will be moved

They both will not be in Canucks colours next season. I don’t think management has ever liked pearson and especially at his current contract price. But other teams will and he won’t be hard to move. 

Dickinson shouldn’t be impossible to move or difficult either.

6. We either draft 15th or Trade Down

I’m not expecting us to move up in the draft. I’m expecting us to stand pat if one of Mateychuk or Mintykov are available or a forward that is high on our list falls to us.

If not I think we will trade down and get an extra pick.

Proposed Roster with Potential Line Up:

Forsberg-EP40-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Chytil-Kapanen

Highmore-Lammikko-Lockwood

OEL-Marino

Hughes-Schneider

Dermott-Schenn

Rathbone

Demko

Martin

If we don’t sign Kuzmenko we would need another winger. Jake Debrusk for Bo could be a target perhaps.

I’m expecting a dramatic roller coaster off-season though and am optimistic. 

Where we maximize our return for Miller if traded, upgrade our right side for OEL + Hughes and find a suitable 3C.

I agree if Ranger lose series to Tampa they will really want Miller for strong playoff run next year...

Miller - NYR

A package --Schneider- 20 - 6'2 RD --2nd rounder 2022

B package-- Lundkvist-21 -5'11 RD - Chytil, 23,6'3 - C-- 2022 2nd rounder

LA Kings

Faber 22 - RD, 6'2 or (Grans 20, 6'3 RD)  ---- Valardi 23. 6'3 - C --  2nd rounder 2022-- Fagemo 21- 6'0 - W

I can see both LA kings and NYR both making serious offers for Miller...NYR are so close and have great prospects to trade for Miller..

• Cheers 2

This is something that would create a need to start heating the bronze to make a statue of Allvin outside our arena.  These moves might be possible - NYR one for sure is the most realistic of the group.    Because they are in the conference final - and your correct they don't need the right side at the moment as much as they need Miller.    In fact IF they'd made that trade at the deadline, I think they'd give COL a run for their money and beat Tampa Bay. 

The PIT trade doesn't seem very realistic though.    Pearson maybe a tiny upgrade on Kapanen now as far as production goes ... and gives them experience - but they have to decide what to do with Malkin and if it's time to rebuild.    That core isn't getting any younger.   Feel we'd have to trade Miller to them to get Marino and that's only if Malkin is coming back.   If he's not then they set their course.    Miller would be a good option to on their LW and a second line C for them when Malkin is out, which of course is every season at some point.  

As for Forsberg he's going to cost any team an arm and a leg.    Yes he's an upgrade on Miller.    And no i wouldn't mind that anchor one bit.   It would give EP one of his line mates for the next 5 years anyways ... Miller - maybe 3-4 if we re-sign him so make it so! 

Good job OP.   Again IF we could pull this off our right side is sorted for the next decade or so.   Amazing.   And glad you didn't ask for Lundqvist - to me he's 50/50 at best.     Rathbone is a much higher touted prospect at this point in time .... 

Its fun to hypothesize these sort of things, and like you said "not sure the cap will work" so won't bother down that lane.    These are some Pat Quin moves... 

Butcher for Ronning would have been a win - and i loved Butcher.   Cool name and the "Strangler" was one tough hombre.    We also got Courtnall and Momesso (who was one tough hombre as well, even tougher)....We also got Lumme for ... a second rounder lol.   Man could that guy win trades.    Drafting would have actually been bad if it wasn't for Bure ... but his trades - Stajonov for Naslund ... enough said but i'm only saying these things because we have done it before.   Let's hope Allvin has some inner Quin in him, what a great GM he was for us.    Gave us more playoff series and game wins then anyone else and it's not even close really.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree if Ranger lose series to Tampa they will really want Miller for strong playoff run next year...

Miller - NYR

LA Kings

Faber 22 - RD, 6'2 or (Grans 20, 6'3 RD)  ---- Valardi 23. 6'3 - C --  2nd rounder 2022-- Fagemo 21- 6'0 - W

I can see both LA kings and NYR both making serious offers for Miller...NYR are so close and have great prospects to trade for Miller..

I think we should stay away from Lundkvist.    Schneider or Marino or something else (a C replacement plus a pick).     We don't need another small D - QHs is good enough and we might need Rathbone just for cap.     Schnieder is a good target and they'd be better with Miller for sure.    Let them develop their 3rd pairing guy.   I really don't see LA as a trade partner for anything but support players.   Miller won't go to a team in our division. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, R3aL said:

I know, was just thinking they could be more willing now based off how the off-season has gone. And what adding a player like miller would do for their forwards. 

I could see Miller in a Boston Uni but with Pasta rumoured unhappiness not sure if that would make the trade fit more likely or less likely. 

Just thought I’d take a crack combining the most prevalent rumours before it all starts to go down in July.

Usually where there’s smoke there is fire and adding Marino and Schneider while removing Myers would be an awesome outcome from my perspective.

I like Myers - but yes his cap hit is high and we need an upgrade.   He'd be fine as our 3rd paring guy ... and is actually decent as a top four RHD as well.   Funny, one of the best prospects this draft RHD - and guess who THN had as his best possible comp?   Myers.   

And since i'm going there - another one of the better prospects had Brock Boeser as his best possible scenario outcome... OEL - Myers got it's fair share of compliments this year - not from our fans - but the media and experts.   It's a ligit pairing, it's just too much cap by 2-3 million for what they actually do.   Myers will get another deal when this one is over - likely in the 2-3 range, holding on to him that's when we'd likely get the best return.   But we need cap and he had a good enough season to trade him for a 2-3 round pick.    Myers also amps his game up in the post season - that's a rare trait.    We could miss him when he's gone.   Edler back on the left side this year would be nice too.   Never should have signed Hamonic ... knowing he'd be out.   JB made some bad and some good moves this was his achilles heal - and Greens too.    With Edler in the lineup at that cap hit doubt our PK would have been that bad.  

Edited by IBatch

Schneider wasn't available at the deadline. They're going to game 6 of the conf finals. I don't see why he would become available now. 

I'm not so high on Marino for us I feel like adding him is shuffling deckchairs especially if we're moving Myers. Other pieces would have to be in place before I would consider going after Marino. 

Kuzmenko I'm with you he prob goes to EDM. Is he really the right player for us? Not really IMO.

Forsberg would be great let's get that one done. 

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Dont think any GM would be digging his own grave by going back to a trade he didnt take last year. So that NYR trade needs to swap for something else. 

What trade?  You mean the supposed trade that never was on the table that CDCers think was on the table because it was written about so it was true?   ALL that was reported was NYR were interested in Miller.   Half the league was too.  TO writers wrote up their fake trade scenarios for him as well.   The only people that know what was on the table are the brass on both teams.   If Schneider was actually on the table - do you really think they'd not of pulled the trigger?  Virtually all the experts said the exact same thing - and will again this deadline.  A grade A prospect, a roster player and a first rounder.   The exact same thing that they hypothesized last TDL. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

This would be a fantastic off season.
Only skepticism I have is signing any FA.
Just not interested in overpaying, even if the player is good. So if we had to have 2-3 anchor years on the contract in order to bring the cap hit down then perhaps it could work.

OP what are your thoughts on what a Forsberg contract would look like?

8-9.5M? 6-8 years?

On 6/10/2022 at 8:28 PM, wildcam said:

Miller - NYR

LA Kings

A package with LA including Faber ++ would def make sense. Would be nice to see him

less as a ranger than what we would as a king though. 

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

I think we should stay away from Lundkvist.    Schneider or Marino or something else (a C replacement plus a pick).     We don't need another small D - QHs is good enough and we might need Rathbone just for cap.     Schnieder is a good target and they'd be better with Miller for sure.    Let them develop their 3rd pairing guy.   I really don't see LA as a trade partner for anything but support players.   Miller won't go to a team in our division. 

I agree. Feel like only way we pull the LA trigger is for Clarke. But doubt they do that. But you never know they have such a solid pipeline. But if they offered a crazy package without Clarke and it’s the best on the table Canucks would probably take it 

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Schneider wasn't available at the deadline. They're going to game 6 of the conf finals. I don't see why he would become available now. 

I'm not so high on Marino for us I feel like adding him is shuffling deckchairs especially if we're moving Myers. Other pieces would have to be in place before I would consider going after Marino. 

Kuzmenko I'm with you he prob goes to EDM. Is he really the right player for us? Not really IMO.

I just don’t see Schneider taking troubas and ofc he’s not taking fox’s spot.

So trading a bottom pairing dman for a 100 pt C that was drafted by them should be reevaluated.

And I think the need for another top C is on display vs tbay. 

Zibanejad

Strome

Chytil

vs

Zibanejad

Miller

Strome

Then plugging Lundqvist in with Braun on there bottom pairing.

I just don’t think they need Schneider as much as they’d benefit from Miller up front. And they have depth to replace and no space for him to take a top 4 spot. 

and I think they now regret not getting a deal done at the TDL 

can visualize Forsberg in a Canucks jersey beside EP40 and these caliber players cost an arm an leg regardless of UFA or not so think they could swing for the fences with him. 

Marino is all about fit I think. Look at guys like gudbranson / zadarov especially guddy he didn’t even look like an nhl dman during his time with us. But he had a decent year in Calgary playing in a system that worked for him.

marino in the right system or with the right partner I think is a very strong defender. And I’ve drank the koolaid on believing he’d be a good fit for OEL or Hughes.

but ur concern is very valid and why he’d be moved to begin with or deemed expandable by pits.

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

Schneider is a 3rd pairing guy on the Rangers.  Fox and Trouba are in the top 4 for at least the next 4 years.  Not sure how he's going to develop into a top 4 Dman if he's playing 13 minutes a night for the next 4 years.  

The Rangers really need to re-evaluate how they want to construct their team next year.  They have Schneider as a 3rd pairing guy, Kravtsov isn't even in North America, so that's 2 first round picks that won't contribute.  Their window is now.  What's the point of keeping these prospects if they cannot help you to win a Cup when your window is wide open?

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Honourable Hughes said:

OP what are your thoughts on what a Forsberg contract would look like?

8-9.5M? 6-8 years?

I think NSH will be offering Forberg at least $8.5m x 8. Considering income tax, $8.5m in NSH is the same take home pay as $10m in VAN (as per Capfriendly income tax calculator), so I think we are going to have to offer Forsberg at least $10m and at least 7 years (which is the max term we can offer). It's one year less than NSH can give him, so to get him to consider our offer, we HAVE to sell him the Swedish connection and the winning future of this team with him on it. Not going to be easy but Allvin is the man to do it.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Schneider is a 3rd pairing guy on the Rangers.  Fox and Trouba are in the top 4 for at least the next 4 years.  Not sure how he's going to develop into a top 4 Dman if he's playing 13 minutes a night for the next 4 years.  

The Rangers really need to re-evaluate how they want to construct their team next year.  They have Schneider as a 3rd pairing guy, Kravtsov isn't even in North America, so that's 2 first round picks that won't contribute.  Their window is now.  What's the point of keeping these prospects if they cannot help you to win a Cup when your window is wide open?

They are just climbing out of the rebuild and just cracked their competitive window open worse thing to do now is Benning it and rush. 
‘Yeah a very young, very good D played on third pair in deep playoff run, that is appropriate usage and he gained a tonne of experience to grow on. I certainly wouldn’t assume because a 20 year old played 13 minutes a night in his first playoff appearance that he is a career third pair guy and will be the same thing at 24. 
‘What would be crazy is taking a 20 year old, throwing them in against the 2 time defending champs and expecting him to be a dominant 20+ minutes a night Player at the hardest position. 
It is a fair argument that they have the depth of young talent on D to make him available in the right trade but they apparently didn’t want to make him available before he gained a world of valuable experience this year 

From the Canuck’s end if they are going to look to trade Miller then they should be holding out for the best right shot d-man they can get and not settling for the second or third best a franchise has to offer. 

22 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Dont think any GM would be digging his own grave by going back to a trade he didnt take last year. So that NYR trade needs to swap for something else. 

Are you saying both GMS won’t revisit the trade in the off-season? Or they would be the package discussed will be changed?

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I think NSH will be offering Forberg at least $8.5m x 8. Considering income tax, $8.5m in NSH is the same take home pay as $10m in VAN (as per Capfriendly income tax calculator), so I think we are going to have to offer Forsberg at least $10m and at least 7 years (which is the max term we can offer). It's one year less than NSH can give him, so to get him to consider our offer, we HAVE to sell him the Swedish connection and the winning future of this team with him on it. Not going to be easy but Allvin is the man to do it.

8-10 million 7 years probably the UFA offers he will get for sure.

I don’t think he will just take the highest offer only.

think he will pick the best destination / opportunity to win / best fit with an offer in that range.

could see him signing 8.5/9 x 7 years though with kaprizov deal as ref with the ufa premium.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Are you saying both GMS won’t revisit the trade in the off-season? Or they would be the package discussed will be changed?

I see the Rags and JR talking about Miller again.  Might be Kakko and Kravstov offered now.  Don’t know if JR wants that return though.