The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Miller to CAR

Been thinking about this one for a while, Carolina seems to have a wealth of young talent and defence that we could definitely use. Plus, they’re a team that’s been on the cusp for a while and could use a talent like Miller to get them over the top. Didn’t include Necas in this deal because Carolina is reported to have been asking for a top 4 defenceman in return for him.

To CAR:

Miller (50% retained)

To VAN

Bear

Morrow

2023 1st round pick (unprotected)

2022 2nd round pick

What do you guys think? Bear slots in on the third pair, we have an extra top 9 forward in Kuzmenko now so it’s not like we’re down a forward, and it shores up our defence outlook with a top RHD prospect (kid is the real deal, has size and almost a PPG in the NCAA this year and is only 19 years old). Not to mention, a lottery ticket in a deep draft next year, and we get a 2nd this year to potentially snag someone like Lamoureux or Schaefer.

Could also probably part with someone like Myers if need be since we’d have an excess of NHL capable defencemen at that point.

Edited by Stech
Words

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

someone said bear was a 3rd pair d men. we have lots of them already. lets not settle for mediocre.

For sure, I'm looking at him as more of a stopgap on D with potential to improve, he was 1st pair in Edmonton for awhile so who knows if he can't recoup some of that value. Buying low if you will. The rest of the package I mentioned is really 3 good young pieces. Morrow is a top prospect on his own, in a similar vein to a guy like Schneider from NYR.

16 minutes ago, Stech said:

For sure, I'm looking at him as more of a stopgap on D with potential to improve, he was 1st pair in Edmonton for awhile so who knows if he can't recoup some of that value. Buying low if you will. The rest of the package I mentioned is really 3 good young pieces. Morrow is a top prospect on his own, in a similar vein to a guy like Schneider from NYR.

First, I appreciate the fresh idea of another team that may want Miller, don't think I've seen Carolina mentioned before.
With that said, If Carolina adds Miller, I wonder if he'll be the guy that can push them over the top (they're already a contender and have all the core pieces needed, plus depth).  For that, and considering how we have leverage (both in terms of center vacancies around the league and how Miller still has a year in his contract, plus we don't really need to trade him), I agree with the other poster that we should get more.  I think the 1st, 2nd and top prospect boxes that make for a star trade are checked, but the roster player shouldn't be Bear (who we could acquire for a pick if we wanted, since he's an RFA who wants out).  Presuming that they won't trade Kotkaniemi or Jarvis, I think the ask made has to include Necas.  Who else would we want as a young regular that they'd move?  

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

First, I appreciate the fresh idea of another team that may want Miller, don't think I've seen Carolina mentioned before.
With that said, If Carolina adds Miller, I wonder if he'll be the guy that can push them over the top (they're already a contender and have all the core pieces needed, plus depth).  For that, and considering how we have leverage (both in terms of center vacancies around the league and how Miller still has a year in his contract, plus we don't really need to trade him), I agree with the other poster that we should get more.  I think the 1st, 2nd and top prospect boxes that make for a star trade are checked, but the roster player shouldn't be Bear (who we could acquire for a pick if we wanted, since he's an RFA who wants out).  Presuming that they won't trade Kotkaniemi or Jarvis, I think the ask made has to include Necas.  Who else would we want as a young regular that they'd move?  

I appreciate that! Looking at their roster, there isn't really one roster player that sticks out to me as having a lot of trade value beyond everyone you mentioned already. Koivunen, Suzuki, and Gunler stick out to me as other prospects that would be worth taking a gamble.

Not overly keen on Bear, but he is a RD and would be cheaper. I like the two picks, but I don't think JR wants picks, young players/prospects instead. Morrow would be a nicce add.

Kind of hoping JR gets DeAngelo in a trade, or offer sheet. He would bring so much swagger, and he's a RD who can contribute offensively. Also, a +30 last year.

Hughes - DeAngelo

Canucks need to be tougher to play against.

-Necas definitely had a down year this year compared to last, with the same amount of goals/points, but in 25 more games.  Good sized RH C.

-No 1st this year

-Top 4 of Slavin, Pesce, Skej, ADA gives them some room to move D futures

Necas, Morrow, 2nd?  That is likely a pretty good offer.

Jarvis, Morrow, 2nd, I'd do in a heatbeat.

Everyone is hyping up Morrow but he's never even played an AHL game and is 19 - he really doesn't fit with our current core that nicely and who knows how he'll end up. If we're trading Miller we really want a 20-25 year old physical shut down RD to play with Hughes. Morrow probably won't be NHL-ready for another 2 seasons let alone top-pairing ready for another 5 years at least.

I say we go for it - go after Pesce. He's 27, could instantly play with Hughes and probably would for the next 5 years. 

Could do something like Miller for Pesce + a sweetner straight up. We need a 3C though, and if we don't find one in free agency, Carolina are full of good young centers so I wouldn't mind Domi if we can build a trade around that.

Miller + Rathbone for Pesce + Domi anyone?

Canucks get their top RD, 3C. Carolina get a physical top forward to play alongside their good skilled kids and another PMD as insurance in-case D'Angelo runs.

Garland - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Podkolzin

Pearson - Domi - Hoglander

Highmore - Lammikko - Lazar

Lockwood

Hughes - Pesce

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

Burroughs