The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 suspects dead, police search for 3rd after 6 officers injured in shooting at Saanich (Victoria), B.C., bank

nuckin_futz

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Thing is, banks have always carried a limited amount of actual money on hand (for obvious reasons).  If you want to withdraw a large sum of actual cash, you generally have to phone ahead to the branch.  Then there is the often quick response time from the police when a bank employee sets the silent alarm.  Finally, seems like these types of crimes results in a rather lengthy jail sentence (not surprising as it is an armed robbery).  Rather limited amount of cash.  Threat of fairly quick police reaction.  Long jail sentence.  Not too smart as it like lots of risk for little return.  Course criminals of this sort aren’t that bright.

This is what I don't understand. Computers link the machines that issue the cash. So you need an account to access it. It's not like there's a safe with all the cash, or cash drawers at each teller. Does the manager have some password that they can just have the machines issue out all the cash? Or a key to get into the dispensing machines?

Or do they want them to open the ATM's and get the cash?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dominicanbob said:

Proving your stupidity daily. Nothing to do with Trump, nothing to do with the USA. 

What do you mean?  maybe you are new but I took that post as a comment about the Trump/US politics thread being removed. Kinda right when things are very important to discuss in that country.

Are you calling him stupid for posting a comment in a different thread? Maybe I misunderstand your post but that seems a little triggered. 

...and to top it off, as some have pointed out, lot's of illegal hand guns used for crime in Canada come from the States, soo...kinda something to do with the USA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

What do you mean?  maybe you are new but I took that post as a comment about the Trump/US politics thread being removed. Kinda right when things are very important to discuss in that country.

Are you calling him stupid for posting a comment in a different thread? Maybe I misunderstand your post but that seems a little triggered. 

...and to top it off, as some have pointed out, lot's of illegal hand guns used for crime in Canada come from the States, soo...kinda something to do with the USA.

Longest unprotected border in the world. In many places you can 'smuggle' and I use that word lightly because in many places you can simply walk across with whatever you want be it guns, drugs, people.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is what I don't understand. Computers link the machines that issue the cash. So you need an account to access it. It's not like there's a safe with all the cash, or cash drawers at each teller. Does the manager have some password that they can just have the machines issue out all the cash? Or a key to get into the dispensing machines?

Or do they want them to open the ATM's and get the cash?

Long gone are the days when tellers have cash drawers.  Money is dispersed from machines.  So how robbers expect to get cash is beyond me.  Perhaps someone who works at a bank can explain how bank robbers get cash.   The only thing I can think of is cash from depositors.

• Cheers 2

Just now, DonLever said:

Long gone are the days when tellers have cash drawers.  Money is dispersed from machines.  So how robbers expect to get cash is beyond me.  Perhaps someone who works at a bank can explain how bank robbers get cash.   The only thing I can think of is cash from depositors.

I know that. I just like the 1990 Movie Point Break.

I guess that's why they are criminals, they aren't that bright? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DonLever said:

13 minutes ago, DonLever said:

If I was going to rob a bank, I'd just go for the people in the business lineup.  I wouldn't even bother with the tellers.

didn't something very similar happen a few years back in Victoria, as well?

I have fleeting memory of CDC discussing a police shooting, at a  Victoria bank- with some controversy about some body cam footage.:unsure:

4 hours ago, DonLever said:

Bank robberies are waste of time, according to the FBI in 2019 average bank robbery loot was little over $4300.

Definitely not worth spending 5-10 years in the slammer.

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Bank robberies are waste of time, according to the FBI in 2019 average bank robbery loot was little over $4300.

Yep. 

Wife worked as a teller for years.

Got robbed a few times but, as you say, it is a waste of time. They never get away with much. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Yep. 

Wife worked as a teller for years.

Got robbed a few times but, as you say, it is a waste of time. They never get away with much. 

Most of bank robberies around where I live don’t even involve any guns.

They just give a teller a note saying it’s a robbery and tellers are trained to give them what’s in the drawers.

To get “real money” you need to rob armored truck but that requires heavy firepower, multiple robbers and typically results in a shootout. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

They just give a teller a note saying it’s a robbery and tellers are trained to give them what’s in the drawers.

To get “real money” you need to rob armored truck but that requires heavy firepower, multiple robbers and typically results in a shootout. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Yup again.

I used to train a guy in Karate that owed an armoured truck company. He had some movie like stories of what happened to some of his vehicles and employees. 

18 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Yep. The smart way to steal is to start a super PAC....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1