The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prudent Moves at Draft & Free Agency That Optimizes 2022-23 Season Success and Beyond.

Rate this topic

nuckfanfromafrica

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

This guy has obviously never played team sports in his life.

Bo is great.  But if signing him means a contract allocating more than 6.5 in cap per year (over 6+ years) then we will need to balance that cost with the value he has in trade.  IMHAO Bo has more trade value than Miller.  

Maybe it’s better for us to sign Miller to 7.75 x 8 years and trading Bo?  

I think if jt Miller gets traded to NYR, we will get kakko + chytil and their 1st.

Alvin is probably trying to pry Schneider but Drury is holding firm. So instead of Lundqvist, he's replaced with Kakko from the offer earlier in the year. 

Lundqvist isn't the type of dman canucks are looking for, nor is chytil the type of centerman the Canucks are looking for either, but it's always nice to have center depth. Especially with Miller gone. 

Then again, alvin could decide to not trade Miller and just use him til the deadline. Although that's risky for so many reasons.. Less teams may offer, but the offer may be much better if they're trying to win cup. The risky stuff is if canucks are in playoffs, and trading Miller would make them out of playoffs or much less threatening, and I don't see aqualini telling Jr and alvin he's okay with trading Miller for the future, instead of making money selling playoff tickets. 

Nice post, I always appreciate when people put the effort into these proposals.

The Flyers trade is good, Laughton is a player I like but I am wondering where is Philly right now? are they trying to regain their footing and start to win as son as possible or are they entering a rebuilding phase? 

Hiring Torts makes me think they think they can win now or at least soon so adding Miller should make sense to them so I would take this and go with it.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bo is great.  But if signing him means a contract allocating more than 6.5 in cap per year (over 6+ years) then we will need to balance that cost with the value he has in trade.  IMHAO Bo has more trade value than Miller.  

Maybe it’s better for us to sign Miller to 7.75 x 8 years and trading Bo?  

I think everyone would wish we could sign him but eight years in unrealistic and will become an albatross in the last several years and something we will all regret especially at almost $8M/yr.    Keep in mind that he'll be approaching almost 31 y.o. when his new contract kicks in 2023 - meaning he'll be close to 40 when an 8 year contract ends and I strongly suspect he'll be "cooked" by 34-35 (if even that) at the tempo he plays.    If it was a 5 year deal at that $7.75M or 6 year at less $ that would be acceptable.  Unfortunately, I think he'll be gone shortly, as apparently the team and Millers agent have not made ANY progress since contract talks began - which says it all and now is the absolute ideal time to trade him to get maximum return value.    

On 7/3/2022 at 1:49 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

.....................and he's also come to the same conclusion as Torts - that the Canucks locker room is a "country Club" and likely why Horvat unfortunately needs to go as he is partly responsible for that, as he sets the tone in there - all excuses aside!  

This is what happens when you have 20 years of Stoic, emotionless Swedish Finesse players sounding the bugle.    It started a long time ago and got entrenched with Nazy, then the Sedins, who eventually molded & neutered Horvat into the relic of what he once was as a feisty, competitive player.   As a result, JR will have little choice but to tear down the team.    You can rest assured that we likely won't recognize this team in a few years when the worst of the rebuild is behind us and THE CULTURE IS FUNDAMENTALY CHANGED!

https://lookcharms.com/rutherford-thinks-the-canucks-room-is-a-country-club/

Caveman.gif.20388815e2be0130684dcbf2905aa6d3.gif

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2022 at 4:24 PM, Chris12345 said:

Yea I'm sick of the "he has a big heart" crap.

When you get into the playoffs it's simply physics. You can only take so many hits at 175lbs.

Not holding your breath for William Lockwood I guess...

On 7/2/2022 at 4:49 PM, NUCKER67 said:

If JR is saying the Canucks need more sandpaper, is that how they'll draft as well? 

So, smaller players like Savoie, Ostlund, Mesar, Nazar, Howard, Casey might not be the type of player they're looking for?

Maybe they're thinking: Gauthier, Lekkerimaki, Kasper, Geekie, McGroarty, Snuggerud, Bichsel, Pickering, Chesley, Odelius.

Good sized players with an edge and a bit of snarl

Since when is Lekkerimaki "a good sized player with an edge and a bit of snarl"?!

Youre Dumb Charles Barkley GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/7/2022 at 6:21 AM, secksii said:

I think if jt Miller gets traded to NYR, we will get kakko + chytil and their 1st.

Alvin is probably trying to pry Schneider but Drury is holding firm. So instead of Lundqvist, he's replaced with Kakko from the offer earlier in the year. 

Lundqvist isn't the type of dman canucks are looking for, nor is chytil the type of centerman the Canucks are looking for either, but it's always nice to have center depth. Especially with Miller gone. 

Then again, alvin could decide to not trade Miller and just use him til the deadline. Although that's risky for so many reasons.. Less teams may offer, but the offer may be much better if they're trying to win cup. The risky stuff is if canucks are in playoffs, and trading Miller would make them out of playoffs or much less threatening, and I don't see aqualini telling Jr and alvin he's okay with trading Miller for the future, instead of making money selling playoff tickets. 

The only thing we have done this season for our future is not trading our first …. Instead we got kuzmenko…. Letting lamminko go was bad for our future tho …. Thing points to rolling the dice with what we have a Bruce . Jt gone at deadline if we’re don’t have a divisional seed locked up or projected to be 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We still might sign him.  It would be for less than his QO and maybe for two years.  

Aaah thank you sir…. This guy was one of my favourites …. Jim’s last gift to us 

edit: if Juulsen could learn to skate better hey should be very serviceable … then it’s a real gift we should all remember 

Edited by gottalovethosenucks

3 hours ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

The only thing we have done this season for our future is not trading our first …. Instead we got kuzmenko…. Letting lamminko go was bad for our future tho …. Thing points to rolling the dice with what we have a Bruce . Jt gone at deadline if we’re don’t have a divisional seed locked up or projected to be 

Lammikko doesn't move a needle for the future. The Canucks can still circle back to him but there's plenty other 4th line players around the league. Like Lazar is far better and is right handed. Lammiko stood out when highmore and motte used their speed to create chances. After motte left, both lammiko and highmore struggled immensely. 

On defense Canucks should look at Klingeberg, Chiarot, Zadarov, Kulak and Josh Manson. At forward; Trochek, Dylan Strome, Mason Marchment, Nino Neiderreiter, Rodrigues, Max Domi, Lazar, Brett Howden, Nico Sturm, Johanssen, stepan

• Haha 1

I suspect we sign Lazar for cheap early on, maybe another depth player... then don't see any other action until the frenzy slows down and there are players available for value.  

We didn't clear any cap so no idea what else we could do unless someone is on their way out really soon.

Edited by Provost

3 hours ago, winthecup said:

On defense Canucks should look at Klingeberg, Chiarot, Zadarov, Kulak and Josh Manson. At forward; Trochek, Dylan Strome, Mason Marchment, Nino Neiderreiter, Rodrigues, Max Domi, Lazar, Brett Howden, Nico Sturm, Johanssen, stepan

Out of all those guys the only one the Canucks might have a realistic shot at is Marchment if they overpay with term or annual aav like Benning did for Ferland.

If they get real desperate for a right shot d in free agency they are looking at possibly Anton Stralman, Justin Braun, and maybe Jan Rutta if they don't get outbid.

But realistically think they can land Curtis Lazar and Noel Acciari both right hand shot 4th line center types to improve the bottom six.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Out of all those guys the only one the Canucks might have a realistic shot at is Marchment if they overpay with term or annual aav like Benning did for Ferland.

If they get real desperate for a right shot d in free agency they are looking at possibly Anton Stralman, Justin Braun, and maybe Jan Rutta if they don't get outbid.

But realistically think they can land Curtis Lazar and Noel Acciari both right hand shot 4th line center types to improve the bottom six.

Not sure we can improve much by switching out our 4th line players considering our 4th line last year was the best line we had in many games.

Our problem isn't the 4th line, it's the 3rd line.  Lazar and Acciari are 4th line guys.  Unless we get a true 3C and more speed and skill on the 3rd line we aren't going to improve much.

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Still wondering why we're not going after Jake Livingstone? Free prospect. Doesn't he check a lot of the boxes of what Vancouver needs?

Is he a college kid?  Not too sure about him, but if he isn’t going back to graduate with his class then doesn’t he become a UFA in August?