The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Current Construction of the Vancouver Canucks

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

On 7/2/2022 at 9:02 AM, Alflives said:

Benning sure messed up things.  Our owner should have allowed Gillis to rebuild when it was recommended instead of bringing in Jim “No Plan”. 

Now we are kind of screwed.  Not good enough to be a true Cup contender (like those great Gillis teams) and not bad enough to get into the bottom five (like the horrid Benning teams.) 

Those great Gillis teams......that he mostly inherited.  And you leave out the fact that Gillis couldn't draft and left the cupboards more bare than likely every other GM of the Canucks history.  How Gillis gets put up on a pedestal in this fanbase is beyond imaginable.  Nonis built much of the team and hired the coach.  Gillis made a couple of decent trades and otherwise just looked grumpy throughout.  Gilman was the talent with the contracts too.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We need SOMEBODY to handle the tough defensive minutes (if you're going to be moving Bo away from that role to try & handle a more offensive role).  Haven't had anybody very solid in that since Sutter's body gave out due to accumulated injuries & COVID.

As long as we don't have to overpay for Bo in the future, he's not worth moving.  Losing his faceoff presence would be a huge hit amongst other things.  I'm not a fan of him as a captain (Miller is a showcase of the type of guy I want as a captain), but Bo is a guy you win with.

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We need SOMEBODY to handle the tough defensive minutes (if you're going to be moving Bo away from that role to try & handle a more offensive role).  Haven't had anybody very solid in that since Sutter's body gave out due to accumulated injuries & COVID.

That's my thoughts as well. Bo has always had that dilemma throughout his career. Although he would be great as our 2C , that would mean Petey would have to be ready for prime time and carry the brunt of the offensive minutes. Can he handle all of the face offs? Can he handle bigger, more experienced 1C's, on a regular basis?

The big question is who would fit the 1C role , Bo/Miller, until Petey is ready to handle that responsibility. Then we would need a replacement for Sutter at the 3C position.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Those great Gillis teams......that he mostly inherited.  And you leave out the fact that Gillis couldn't draft and left the cupboards more bare than likely every other GM of the Canucks history.  How Gillis gets put up on a pedestal in this fanbase is beyond imaginable.  Nonis built much of the team and hired the coach.  Gillis made a couple of decent trades and otherwise just looked grumpy throughout.  Gilman was the talent with the contracts too.

In all fairness to Gillis he did allow the players to get better sleep, so I think that was a significant part of our success really...   -_-

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It’s clear from the results Gillis constructed a great team.  Benning constructed a mess.  JR/Allvin are cleaning up the mess while constructing a team we hope will be as great as those Gillis clubs.  

35 minutes ago, Nucklefuts said:

Comparing him to Kucherov was the most ridiculous possible thing anyone could have said. 

Good idea copping out of this one lol. 

There was no comparison made I was just trying to clarify your assumption of over 30 wingers who were basically useless in your mind or close to it. Its not copping out but just getting tired of your obvious attempt to win the argument. Constantly changing the bar to fit your needs is an obvious attempt to win the argument. 

I know the more I respond you will have no choice but to have the "Last Word" every time. ::D .......BUT, You won't be able to help yourself will you?B)

8 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

As long as we don't have to overpay for Bo in the future, he's not worth moving.  Losing his faceoff presence would be a huge hit amongst other things.  I'm not a fan of him as a captain (Miller is a showcase of the type of guy I want as a captain), but Bo is a guy you win with.

Those are good points to bring up. Will Petey take over the face offs Miller was responsible for when he leaves? If Bo remains Captain, will the "Culture" of the team change? I really wish Bo wasn't the Captain just as I thought Hank would have been much better off without that responsibility. He would have been way better off sticking to his offensive game as I think Nazzy would have been better off too. No disrespect to them, as I thought they were great players for us who had unbelievable skills.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

That's my thoughts as well. Bo has always had that dilemma throughout his career. Although he would be great as our 2C , that would mean Petey would have to be ready for prime time and carry the brunt of the offensive minutes. Can he handle all of the face offs? Can he handle bigger, more experienced 1C's, on a regular basis?

The big question is who would fit the 1C role , Bo/Miller, until Petey is ready to handle that responsibility. Then we would need a replacement for Sutter at the 3C position.

It's kind of like how Linden, a winger pretty much all of his minor hockey league career, was moved to C because we had a huge lack of depth in that position (granted being asked to shift from winger to C is a significantly tougher job).  A testament to just how good Linden was as he was able to make that transition *at the NHL level* pretty much very early on his NHL career.  Or Miller being asked to do the same thing today.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s clear from the results Gillis constructed a great team.  Benning constructed a mess.  JR/Allvin are cleaning up the mess while constructing a team we hope will be as great as those Gillis clubs.  

Lapierre, Higgins, Malhotra and Hamhuis is who I'll give credit to Gillis for (note that Malhotra was placed incorrectly in the list below).  They helped no doubt, but having the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Hanson, Tanev, Luongo and Schneider all there ready to go may have more to do with the success of that team.  Now scroll down the draft picks and look for one.....one draft pick that we can be proud of.  Gillis deserves little credit other than the four players above and the sleep states that EP shrewdly recalls. 

I'm surprised a sleep machine was needed at all......Gillis' press conferences were probably more effective.

You really are out of this world Alfie!

image.png.82390403e133b185d269e45f403fe7e9.pngimage.png.a197cec01fc4e62797deca484723f6bf.png

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Like 1

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

Lapierre, Higgins and Hamhuis is who I'll give credit to Gillis for.  They helped no doubt, but having the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Hanson, Tanev, Luongo and Schneider all there ready to go may have more to do with the success of that team.  Now scroll down the draft picks and look for one.....one draft pick that we can be proud of.

You really are out of this world Alfie!

image.png.82390403e133b185d269e45f403fe7e9.pngimage.png.a197cec01fc4e62797deca484723f6bf.png

Gillis teams won Two President’s trophies and got to game seven of Cup.  

Which other teams have we had do that?  

Gillis new how to construct a winner, that’s not debatable.  Whether our owner should have allowed Gillis to rebuild (when Gillis suggested that was the best path) instead of hiring Benning, that’s debatable.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It's kind of like how Linden, a winger pretty much all of his minor hockey league career, was moved to C because we had a huge lack of depth in that position (granted being asked to shift from winger to C is a significantly tougher job).  A testament to just how good Linden was as he was able to make that transition *at the NHL level* pretty much very early on his NHL career.  Or Miller being asked to do the same thing today.

That's actually a very good comparison, I thought early on that Bo had some Linden like tendancies. If Bo can step up in the "sticking up for his players" role and produce a little more offensively, I would be OK with him taking on the 1C duties until Petey is ready.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Gillis teams won Two President’s trophies and got to game seven of Cup.  

Which other teams have we had do that?  

Gillis new how to construct a winner, that’s not debatable.  Whether our owner should have allowed Gillis to rebuild (when Gillis suggested that was the best path) instead of hiring Benning, that’s debatable.

Not sure how you miss the point that the bulk of the team and the coach that got them there were not put in place by Gillis.  He tinkered with a good team and added some important pieces, but then he also blew the future with a horrendous drafting record.  Gillis was not great man.  I'm not stating that JB was good, I'm stating that Gillis was not great.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Not sure how you miss the point that the bulk of the team and the coach that got them there were not put in place by Gillis.  He tinkered with a good team and added some important pieces, but then he also blew the future with a horrendous drafting record.  Gillis was not great man.  I'm not stating that JB was good, I'm stating that Gillis was not great.

And what had that group done before Gillis arrived?

Gillis knew how to build a winning team.  That obvious from the group’s results.  Benning had no clue.  Now we have JR/Allvin. They seem more like Gillis than Benning, so I expect we will be a winning team again under their guidance. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what had that group done before Gillis arrived?

Gillis knew how to build a winning team.  That obvious from the group’s results.  Benning had no clue.  Now we have JR/Allvin. They seem more like Gillis than Benning, so I expect we will be a winning team again under their guidance. 

Last I checked Benning and Gillis have the same number of cups as acting Canucks GM's and both left the franchise in disarray and completely barren of prospects. 

They're more alike than people want to admit sadly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Yeah I thought Brian Burke was the brainchild for assembling most of that team. Not sure if we have had any good picks for a long time after he left. I think it went dry until we drafted Bo in 2013. That's a long time to go without picking any real NHL ready players worth mentioning.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

There was no comparison made I was just trying to clarify your assumption of over 30 wingers who were basically useless in your mind or close to it. Its not copping out but just getting tired of your obvious attempt to win the argument. Constantly changing the bar to fit your needs is an obvious attempt to win the argument. 

I know the more I respond you will have no choice but to have the "Last Word" every time. ::D .......BUT, You won't be able to help yourself will you?B)

Every winger will have the same longevity as Ovechkin. Got it.

Soo smart you are.