The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

7 goals in 26 games in the SHL as a 17yo???  Petey didn't even play in the SHL that young unless I am missing something.  Arguably the best shooter in the draft?  Sounds like a homerun. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

indifferent about the pick i don't expect him to crack the line up anytime soon. prolly ends up remaining in sweden till he's 21, 22 like karlsson before he's ready to make the jump. 

Short of a major injury, he'll probably be playing in North America in draft +2 year (he'll be 19 turning 20).

Between Lekkerimaki and Kemell I like that we picked the Swede.  Linga is just too unpredictable, lately they haven’t been producing like they used to.  I think what Lekkerimaki did in the SHL as a 17 year old is more impressive than what Kemell did in Linga.  The SHL is a superior league and Linga has been iffy lately with Kotkaneimi, Kakko, Lambert, not too impressed with the coaching there.   

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Very happy with this pick. Many pundits had him ranked in the top 10. I’m happy that he slipped to our pick. He has a nice shot as well as his release. His overall game is very good. I could see him doing some damage in the NHL in the near future. Maybe a 20+ goal scorer, 50-60 pts type of player which any team would love to have. If he becomes a Boeser, Pastrnak type of player, this pick will be a home run. All the best and welcome to Vancouver, Jonathan!

• Cheers 1

Well, the Canucks had the choice of 3 Swedes at #15, they took the highest ranked one.

Let's hope that Oslend and Ohgren don't turn out to be the better players.

Ohgren is the one I worry about... he has leadership, size and put up quite a few more points.  But he is older.  Lekkerimaki is really young and has lots of room to develop.  But he needs to work on his complete game... defensively he is not good.  He does have speed and a shot which most are ranking as NHL sniper level.

As I suspected, Canadian D-Man Kevin Korchinski went higher than he was ranked... I was hoping he'd slip through but too many teams were watching his upward trajectory.  I would like to see more Canucks on the Canucks.

I am not happy that Shane Wright went to Seattle... I have a feeling he will take his 4th place demotion as a personal insult and have something to prove.  He is a very good hockey player.

I'm not as excited as I was for podkolzin.... But like podz, and especially Hughes, he fell to us.  Based on skill alone, he was top 10.  We should be happy for sure.

However, what I am excited most about is our new upgrades made development department.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the results from the focus put into staffing full time support for our prospects in Europe and here at home in Abby.  The Benning regime also preached developing their prospects but they didn't have the staffing in Europe to help those prospect or even enough in North America.  Ryan Johnson and Chris Higgins did great work but they weren't given enough support.  I'm very encouraged.  With the proper development, Lekkerimäki could end up being a perennial 30-40 goal scorer playing with Petey.  And being defensively responsible. 

Good start for new regime!:towel:

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The kid had mono this year.  Maybe some scouts saw him play while he was getting sick (before diagnosis) and then when he was coming back?  Because he looks like a very good skater.  And he’s smart with the puck on his stick too. 

If Alf likes him I'm down!

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

indifferent about the pick i don't expect him to crack the line up anytime soon. prolly ends up remaining in sweden till he's 21, 22 like karlsson before he's ready to make the jump. 

Disagree he'll be here in 3 years. :emot-parrot:

I hope. Whatever get the best assets we can. That should be the mission right now. Another goal scorer is exactly what we need. We can't be afraid of guys that can shoot the puck because of Virtanen. Lekkerimaki has a high IQ.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I have second thoughts but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Earlier in the year I was stuck in the hospital for a month so to pass the time started delving into prospects and came across Jonathan, some scout had posted on HF about him and the guy was gushing over him saying he's going to be the next EP, deserves to be a top 3pick etc etc but he wasn't even ranked as a 1st round pick, same issues said about EP were said about him.

Then in April months later,  he's ending up in a lot of mock drafts top8 but there were a few more scouts that said they felt he will be the best player in the draft because of the offensive tools and tool box and if he continues to get better defensively. 

Now obviously scouts will always have big misses but these scouts saw things to make them feel that way so hopefully what they saw, he ends up reaching that level.

I never thought we would get him at 15 so I'm really stoked,  we've seen in EP and Quinn that other teams fear of size was our gain, hopefully that happens again.

He must be excited since his favorite player EP40 is now his teammate. 

The thought of one day having those two and their elite shots and IQ on the same line or PP,

Is exciting.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I was expecting more enthusiasm from CDC.  This is a great pick at #15. He is not a Boeser clone but is a more complete player (although he is smaller).

At age 17 (turning 18 in late July) he is one of the youngest players in the draft.  An extra 8 months to a year makes a big difference at that age so that adds to his "ceiling". 

I was really happy about this pick.  I think he was the best the Canucks could hope to do at #15. And he said Petey is his favorite player!

I'm super-stoked with this pick; but before we picked him I knew squat.

This kid is top-drawer and, believe it or not, he wants to be a Canuck.

We will be hard-pressed to keep him down in the SHL or the minors for long I would think.

We traded nothing, and moved up at least 5 picks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1