The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

I think JL is probably 2-3 years away from NHL depending on how committed he is to rounding out his game a bit and how fast he fills out. But I really expect this next season in Allsvenskan to be very beneficial to his development. I'm not surprised he wasn't used more in the WJC, I don't ever expect to see much ice time from 17 years olds at that tournament (I know he turned 18 a couple weeks before it started but as far as eligibility is concerned, with the pushed back restart, for the 2022 WJC, he is considered a 17 year old)

Firstly, it's much more a developmental league that gives much more emphasis on playing skilled youth because the skilled veterans stick to the SHL teams which pay more money. Secondly, Djurgärdens has Öhgren and Östlund both returning as well and with the chemistry those three players showed in J20 last year, putting them all on a line together has the potential to be the best in the league. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them challenged Patrik Berglund for best U19 season in league history with 48 points.

I was just disappointed that the coaches didn’t put Lekker on the ice for the second half of the 2 man advantage in the 3rd. There down 1 goal, no 1 on the 1st unit is doing anything. Lekker is a pure “goal scorer” and he’s on the bench. Seemed odd. But maybe he’s given a bigger roll at Christmas. Can’t snipe from the bench. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I completely agree. These are very good things you love to see but acting as though " it's a great sign if he has the speed but isn't using it" is a positive. I mean I guess it's better than not having the speed at all. 

People acting like the 3 month age difference between Lekkerimaki and Kemell is a factor in Kemell quadrupling Maki's points and a +4 vs -1 

@HighOnHockey comparing Kemell to Ho Sang to support his narrative is a joke. 

This thread is just goofy. Realistically at this time Kemell is a much better player. Now a lot can change in the next 3-5 years that's literally a quarter of these kids lives so far. But after watching this tournament anyone still ranking Lekkerimaki over Kemell just has conformation bias. 

To be fair Lekkerimaki was underutilized by his coach. Kemell was given top line minutes. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well he's already representing his country in a defensive role which is great for development and he has lots in the tank ... as in a lot of improvements can be made on both sides of the game. I'd imagine we're not seeing anything close to the final product. 

Lekkeri isn't a 4th line guy but he's being used as such.  If he's not playing on the top 2 lines he's being underutilized. The coaching for Sweden wasn't great 

• Upvote 2

The one thing all of our recent top draft picks have in common is their drive, their hunger to be the best.  Pettersson has that fire, so does Hughes, Hoglander, Podkolzin have it. Always training, Pods is the first to arrive at practice and the last to leave.  I hope Lekki has that same drive.  The Canucks are stuffed on top 9 wingers. The Canucks can let him develop under Samualsson for the next 2 years.  He'll be NHL ready by then. 

Edited by Pure961089

7 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

It's kind of funny reading through the Kemmel vs Lekkerimaki comparisons, I did the very same thing through the first part of the Tournament, then I read one of HighonHockey's comments about transferable skills, and I backed off.

It is total true Kemmel had a way better tournament, but his ice time was hugely different, as was his line mates. So aside from his own personal play, there were certainly other contributing factors in show casing their differences.

i don't think there is any concern, in Lekkerimaki's contribution to this tournament, as it is a U20 tournament, and he has 2 more years to show case his talents. I am more interested in the up and coming season and his minute and play allocations. Development needs TOI, and that is what is important, as long as he is not over his head.

I think the Lekkerimaki vs Kemmel comparison's are always going to be inevitable, and since they both dropped in the draft, and we had a chance at either, it kind of makes it easy to judge the pick. Personally, I think we have plenty of time to wait on that, and the differences may not be evident for 2 or 3 years. 

Is Kemmel, Martin St. Louis, or is he Bobby Lalonde ? ( Just thought I would use an old Canuck there, LOL) Is Lekkerimaki, Mason Raymond or is he Mike Gartner? 

All that remains to be seen!

I guess, I will just fight my urges to compare for a few years, and sit back and watch!

Thats mighty level headed. Eventually however the 2 should be compared. IMO Lian Bichsel as well. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, hammertime said:

I completely agree. These are very good things you love to see but acting as though " it's a great sign if he has the speed but isn't using it" is a positive. I mean I guess it's better than not having the speed at all. 

People acting like the 3 month age difference between Lekkerimaki and Kemell is a factor in Kemell quadrupling Maki's points and a +4 vs -1 

@HighOnHockey comparing Kemell to Ho Sang to support his narrative is a joke. 

This thread is just goofy. Realistically at this time Kemell is a much better player. Now a lot can change in the next 3-5 years that's literally a quarter of these kids lives so far. But after watching this tournament anyone still ranking Lekkerimaki over Kemell just has conformation bias. 

WJC is not a great benchmark for evaluating players, I think that's all @HighOnHockey was trying to say. Kemell was getting prime minutes and PP1 time and was used as a primary trigger man during such. Not to mention Finland a much stronger, more structured team overall than Sweden this year. There's a reason Kemell dropped to the bottom half of the 1st round, and that's that he carries a lot of risk in how his playing style might transfer over to big league hockey, being a perimeter guy who often tries to do too much. That will not work in the NHL. Meanwhile, Sweden played an incredibly passive offensive game the whole tournament, and their captain Andrae was their top guy with 8 points. Ohgren had 1 point in 7 games, he got picked well before Kemell too.

All I'm trying to point out is despite Kemell having 12 points to Lek's 3, yes he put up points against junior aged players but it means almost nothing when evaluating what a player will be like 5, 10 years down the road. Deployment is the biggest factor in why there's such a discrepancy in points. Put Kemell on Finland's checking line and see how he fares.

Edited by Kuzy

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

There were literally no draft rankings that had Lekkerimaki rated ahead of Kemmel.  I can't see what would have convinced Allvin to pick Lekkerimaki over Kemmel, aside from a Swedish bias.

I'm assuming a ton of NHL GMs had Kemmel ranked a lot lower seeing as he dropped to 17.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am looking forward to another look at JL in December. TOI makes a dif and I suspect he gets more ice. Also suspect there will be a new Swedish coach. 

Yeah, I am looking forward to any looks we get at Letterkenny; I love his anticipation, and he has an incredibly full quiver of outstanding shots.

Also, I cannot understand the coach waiting until late in the third, down by one in an elimination game, to finally go on the offensive.

It was a 1-0 game, the object of the game is to score more goals than your opponent, i.e. you have to score at least one Marchanding goal!

Having the leading scorer be a diminutive defenseman, a third-round pick, was a shame and a disgrace to Swedish hockey.

No Marchanding goals!  None.  You have to score to win.

5 on 3 for almost a minute and a half and what?  3 lousy shots on goal?  Are you kidding me?

Go to the net!  Crash the Marchanding goalie.  Shoot the god-damned puck!  Follow it to the net.

Worst coaching I have ever seen from Sweden; disgusting.

(Imo, of course.)

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

That still doesn't explain why, given a choice between the two, Allvin thought Lekkerimaki to be the better choice.

No, but it hints that most teams felt the same way. And the rankings of NHL teams are far more important than the rankings of media scouting services. An earlier poster seemed to be implying or suggesting that it was the wrong pick because "the rankings said" lol.

Edited by HighOnHockey