The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Curtis Lazar

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

There are a lot of players who badly underperformed in the first half of the season last year.....so yes, there is a lot of upside to this team if they come back with all cylinders firing.  With that said, the team isn't really structured well yet for the playoffs.  I remember when Tanev came out of nowhere and really changed the level of our D......we badly need a young player like Woo to come out of nowhere and be that break for the team.

I’m curious about our defensive prospects. Is there any defensive prospects that are rising? Woo seems like he’s kind of stalled a little bit, even though he’s still relatively young (21 yo). But Jett’s gotta make the jump eventually from AHL to NHL, if he doesn’t make the eventual jump in 2-3 years, he’s probably just AHL depth at that point of his career. Love Tanev, wish he were still in Canuck colors.

We need to find another Tanev…either through draft, or free agent signing…

Benning was an idiot to let him walk…

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

There are a lot of players who badly underperformed in the first half of the season last year.....so yes, there is a lot of upside to this team if they come back with all cylinders firing.  With that said, the team isn't really structured well yet for the playoffs.  I remember when Tanev came out of nowhere and really changed the level of our D......we badly need a young player like Woo to come out of nowhere and be that break for the team.

I too, think Lazar is going to have a good year. He’s going to help our bottom six, offer a little more grit and sandpaper, and help the PK. 

I’m not expecting much in terms of offense, but for 3M over 3 years, I’m not asking for much. Just don’t get scored on too much when you’re on the ice, kill penalties. 

On another note, I’m surprised Troy went to Arizona. They’re going to suck next year, no? 

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Where do you think he plays? Third line? Fourth?

On a healthy canucks team? He my be on the taxi squad lol. Unfortunately the kid could not make that projected stud player jump into the bigs, but his jr career was on point. I believe he broke tourney records that Stamkos and Crosby owned. Played like a champ in the world jr's was set for success, drafted but couldn't compete that way with the big boys. Still better than the millions that weren't good enough to even get the opportunity. The fact he never Patrik Stefan, or Alexandre Daigle'ed his carrier and still plugging away says alot about his character which a team can never get enough of. I'm on team Lazar. Work your butt off out there when the opportunity presents itself. Do all you can then do more and the team, city, fans  will be on your side.

22 minutes ago, VanCan2023 said:

On a healthy canucks team? He my be on the taxi squad lol. Unfortunately the kid could not make that projected stud player jump into the bigs, but his jr career was on point. I believe he broke tourney records that Stamkos and Crosby owned. Played like a champ in the world jr's was set for success, drafted but couldn't compete that way with the big boys. Still better than the millions that weren't good enough to even get the opportunity. The fact he never Patrik Stefan, or Alexandre Daigle'ed his carrier and still plugging away says alot about his character which a team can never get enough of. I'm on team Lazar. Work your butt off out there when the opportunity presents itself. Do all you can then do more and the team, city, fans  will be on your side.

He'll turn out like Luke Schenn has... (Won't ever live up to his draft position but becomes very valuable in a different way). Figured out his roll... Big body, uses it effectively, smart puck management, good on faceoffs, plays within his abilities and is a character solid teammate.  Found money.

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think he's fighting for a spot.  I think they signed him as an everyday, sure thing player in the bottom 6

Pearson-Miller-Boeser

Mikehyev-Petey-Garland

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Podkolzin

Dickinson-Lazar-Hoglander-Joshua

Right now we have 13 Forward Nhlers competing in camp, add Lockwood thats 14.

Alvin signed Lazar and Joshua. He didn't sign Dickinson. And Dickinson was pretty bad last year.

Whoever has he better camp from those guys will be on the opening night line up.

I dont think its a stress to say his starting spot he will have to earn it in camp without any trades here.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Pearson-Miller-Boeser

Mikehyev-Petey-Garland

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Podkolzin

Dickinson-Lazar-Hoglander-Joshua

Right now we have 13 Forward Nhlers competing in camp, add Lockwood thats 14.

Alvin signed Lazar and Joshua. He didn't sign Dickinson. And Dickinson was pretty bad last year.

Whoever has he better camp from those guys will be on the opening night line up.

I dont think its a stress to say his starting spot he will have to earn it in camp without any trades here.

Gosh that is filthy down the middle. I am more than happy with that forward core. Just need a dependable, defence first, right shot defensemen, and the lineup looks great. 

17 hours ago, R3aL said:

Ya me too think he’ll do well as a 4th line winger should see him bounce back to how he was in Dallas 

I think he could be good on the 3rd line too  as a winger (if need be). Would take the pressure away a bit playing on the wing and might translate into some better numbers on his part:

2 hours ago, Spoosh said:

I think he could be good on the 3rd line too  as a winger (if need be). Would take the pressure away a bit playing on the wing and might translate into some better numbers on his part:

Im not saying he's not capable Im just saying hes prolly not beating out:

Boeser

Garland

Mikehyev

Kuzmenko

Podkolzin

Pearson

For top 9 winger role with current roster

Edited by R3aL
typos worse than my norm
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Im not saying ohs not capable Im just saying hes prolly beating out:

Boeser

Garland

Mikehyev

Kuzmenko

Podkolzin

Pearson

For top 9 winger role with current roster

True and obvious. But he might thrive in that role and we know injuries will play a part and it would be good for his game to play wing and gain some confidence from good results. As of now he doesn’t have a place on our top-9 and maybe not even on the whole roster without a really good camp.

49 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Gosh that is filthy down the middle. I am more than happy with that forward core. Just need a dependable, defence first, right shot defensemen, and the lineup looks great. 

We have no cap to add a dman though.

So something has to give.

If they decide to run it back with this offence and rely on Demko and hope we just move the puck up and out quick aggressively having a puck mover on each pairing:

OEL/HUGHES/RATHBONE

It will be wild.

But I just can't imagine them not doing 1-2 trades here.

Interesting concept would be:

Garland for Marino (Save 0.5M)

Miller Trade for no roster players just prospects and picks (save 5.25M)

Trade Myers to a team for 2nd round pick or mod we can get. RHD prospect we like would be ideal. (save 6M)

11.75 M cap space gained

Sign Rodriguez 2M and Klingberg to a deal similar too Letangs but little more money 7-7.5 x 6.

9.5 M spent with some wiggle room if we had to take a little money back in one of those deals above

Mikheyev-Petey-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Podkozlin

Pearson-Rodriguez-Hoglander

Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua

Lockwood

OEL-Klingberg

Hughes-Marino

Rahbone-Schenn

Dermott-Burroughs/Poolman

Demko

Martin 

Really mobile puck moving back end for an aggressive offensive team coached by Bruce.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

True and obvious. But he might thrive in that role and we know injuries will play a part and it would be good for his game to play wing and gain some confidence from good results. As of now he doesn’t have a place on our top-9 and maybe not even on the whole roster without a really good camp.

Ya I think starting year off on 4th line and getting good momentum hell return to Dallas form and be able to play up the line up or in match uproots when required

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Where do you think he plays? Third line? Fourth?

First line 100%...

in Abbotsford.

• Haha 2

It is pretty telling that Klingberg hasn't signed yet.  There are certainly plenty of teams that could use him.  He could be in Ottawa or Seattle if he was willing to go there.

This is where having cap space is so useful. Pacioretty was had for nothing except cap space.  If you had a decent team as an attractive destination, Klingberg could probably be had for a real value deal right now.

If we moved Myers or Pearson somewhere for even a neutral return and gained the cap space we could easily be ahead.  We also don't have to hit an absolute home run from a Garland/Miller trade.  We also have to consider the opportunity cost of not having that cap space to make these sorts of deals... .and calculate that as part of the return.  Pittsburgh needs to shed a  defenceman... but are probably balking at taking money back

1 hour ago, Provost said:

It is pretty telling that Klingberg hasn't signed yet.  There are certainly plenty of teams that could use him.  He could be in Ottawa or Seattle if he was willing to go there.

This is where having cap space is so useful. Pacioretty was had for nothing except cap space.  If you had a decent team as an attractive destination, Klingberg could probably be had for a real value deal right now.

If we moved Myers or Pearson somewhere for even a neutral return and gained the cap space we could easily be ahead.  We also don't have to hit an absolute home run from a Garland/Miller trade.  We also have to consider the opportunity cost of not having that cap space to make these sorts of deals... .and calculate that as part of the return.  Pittsburgh needs to shed a  defenceman... but are probably balking at taking money back

Again, moving Myers leaves a gaping hole in the dcorp.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

We have no cap to add a dman though.

So something has to give.

If they decide to run it back with this offence and rely on Demko and hope we just move the puck up and out quick aggressively having a puck mover on each pairing:

OEL/HUGHES/RATHBONE

It will be wild.

But I just can't imagine them not doing 1-2 trades here.

Interesting concept would be:

Garland for Marino (Save 0.5M)

Miller Trade for no roster players just prospects and picks (save 5.25M)

Trade Myers to a team for 2nd round pick or mod we can get. RHD prospect we like would be ideal. (save 6M)

11.75 M cap space gained

Sign Rodriguez 2M and Klingberg to a deal similar too Letangs but little more money 7-7.5 x 6.

9.5 M spent with some wiggle room if we had to take a little money back in one of those deals above

Mikheyev-Petey-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Podkozlin

Pearson-Rodriguez-Hoglander

Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua

Lockwood

OEL-Klingberg

Hughes-Marino

Rahbone-Schenn

Dermott-Burroughs/Poolman

Demko

Martin 

Really mobile puck moving back end for an aggressive offensive team coached by Bruce.

That second line is wicked.