The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Curtis Lazar

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Lazar was a very high pick.  But he needed to accept he was not goin* to be an NHL player as a scorer.  He learned and accepted his role as a hard nosed checker PK guy.  This is the perfect timing to sign him.  He’s going to be really good for us.  Manny Mslholtra like good.  

Is Malhotra good in face offs ?

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Perhaps playing against Marchand in practice or just seeing another player of similar stature have so much success has helped him figure a few things out...

Lazar has accepted (and embraced) the role he needs to play to be in the NHL.  Gillis signed Malholtra who had changed his game to stay in the league.  This is a great signing too!  

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Is Malhotra good in face offs ?

Malholtra learned to be good at face-offs.  He changed his game to stay in the league.  Exactly what Lazar did.  And Lazar will work hard to be as good as Manny was on face-offs too.  Great signing!  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Lazar has accepted (and embraced) the role he needs to play to be in the NHL.  Gillis signed Malholtra who had changed his game to stay in the league.  This is a great signing too!  

Glad to see a solid but cheap 4th line - with a chance, for a homegrown talent to make the lineup..

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Malholtra learned to be good at face-offs.  He changed his game to stay in the league.  Exactly what Lazar did.  And Lazar will work hard to be as good as Manny was on face-offs too.  Great signing!  

Yeah, I am tired of watching 4th liners that can do a lot of things well but struggle, in the face-off.   

17 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I've liked Lazar as a depth option in the past, but I agree that bringing him back to Vancouver now might be good timing.  He's figured out a role in the league and he's still got skill so he could still contribute more.  4th line could be quite interesting.

Ya especially with dickinson on LW with them and if he returns to dallas  form. They could be very serviceable 

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I would have too but we are stuck with dickinson 

If the hockey gods can do us a favor and allow him to become even remotely useful to the team that would be good for his value. Target #1 on the scape goat list for this year hah

19 hours ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

not really. Lazar is being brought in as a physical 4th line C, and has bough into that role - he stated so himself today. Tambo was brought into as a Nic Petan-type but ended up sticking for most the year, and playing a few games on the way to SCF as depth.

some players do seem to bring out their best play by coming home: Dan Hamhuis, Willie Mitchell, Greg Adams, Geoff Courtnall, Brenden Morrison. Some don't

You forgot Brad Hunt

Cracking Up Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

If the hockey gods can do us a favor and allow him to become even remotely useful to the team that would be good for his value. Target #1 on the scape goat list for this year hah

Ya I think this year will be much better for him and especially since he will be playing LW

Lazar is about to have a real good (career) year, I think. He seems charged to play for his hometown team, like he'll give his all every shift. Canucks are going to be faster and grittier. 

With teams like CGY and VGK possibly taking a step back, maybe the Canucks do something this year. If Miller is leading the way, the team is coached by Boudreau, and they have Demko in net - you never know.  It's going to be a fun season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lazar is about to have a real good (career) year, I think. He seems charged to play for his hometown team, like he'll give his all every shift. Canucks are going to be faster and grittier. 

With teams like CGY and VGK possibly taking a step back, maybe the Canucks do something this year. If Miller is leading the way, the team is coached by Boudreau, and they have Demko in net - you never know.  It's going to be a fun season. 

There are a lot of players who badly underperformed in the first half of the season last year.....so yes, there is a lot of upside to this team if they come back with all cylinders firing.  With that said, the team isn't really structured well yet for the playoffs.  I remember when Tanev came out of nowhere and really changed the level of our D......we badly need a young player like Woo to come out of nowhere and be that break for the team.