The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Curtis Lazar

I am guessing Lammikko was against this price tag? I don't care about term as much as others. It's 1m per. Lol. Just interesting that they signed Lazar to this deal instead of Lammikko. Only real explanation is Lammikko wanted more. Lazar is a surprisingly decent center option. At the very least he can take faceoffs when needed. 300 faceoffs last season, won 48% of em. Not too shabby. 16 points on 32% ozone starts, corsi is better than Lammikko's, he had 186 hits in 70 games. I think a lot of us have written him off as the top 9 talent, but he can fill Lammikko's role easily, and likely even better if he keeps chucking his body around. Anyone know if he can kill penalties?

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I am guessing Lammikko was against this price tag? I don't care about term as much as others. It's 1m per. Lol. Just interesting that they signed Lazar to this deal instead of Lammikko. Only real explanation is Lammikko wanted more. Lazar is a surprisingly decent center option. At the very least he can take faceoffs when needed. 300 faceoffs last season, won 48% of em. Not too shabby. 16 points on 32% ozone starts, corsi is better than Lammikko's, he had 186 hits in 70 games. I think a lot of us have written him off as the top 9 talent, but he can fill Lammikko's role easily, and likely even better if he keeps chucking his body around. Anyone know if he can kill penalties?

Yes he kills penalties and he does it well. 

Just now, Doxm said:

Yes he kills penalties and he does it well. 

Well then this is a very clear upgrade on Lammikko. Lazar hits, produced as much as Lammikko did last season with worse zone deployment, is solid in the faceoff dot, and will actually benefit us in special teams where Lammikko very clearly did not. Our PK was abysmal last season. Definitely needed upgrading and it seems management did some upgrading.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't understand the negativity over this signing. Decent size, physical, willing to fight, play C or wing. The cherry on top is he can be sent to the monirs with no effect on our cap. So who cares how long the deal is? This is a great no risk signing.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Well then this is a very clear upgrade on Lammikko. Lazar hits, produced as much as Lammikko did last season with worse zone deployment, is solid in the faceoff dot, and will actually benefit us in special teams where Lammikko very clearly did not. Our PK was abysmal last season. Definitely needed upgrading and it seems management did some upgrading.

Being a right handed forward is also a bonus. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vancan2233 said:

Being a right handed forward is also a bonus. 

Right hand centre who will absolutely take some of the defensive draws Bo had to, even though it was Bo’s weak side.  Lazar will free up Bo to be more offensive.  

I think Curtis is a sold grab,  and he sounds highly motivated..   I’d still like to see Juho back,.  He still has upside.  Boudreau has seen it,. and Juho responded to him when given the opportunity to check some profile players in the last quarter of the season.

The kid is saying all the right things in his interview. Wants to play hard nosed hockey and sees that as his role. 

also from the article

"Lazar led the Bruins in one of those character stats, with a team-leading 186 hits. That physical element is a major part of Lazar's game"

• Like 2

Just now, JayDangles said:

The kid is saying all the right things in his interview. Wants to play hard nosed hockey and sees that as his role. 

also from the article

"Lazar led the Bruins in one of those character stats, with a team-leading 186 hits. That physical element is a major part of Lazar's game"

Yup.  Lazar was a very high pick.  But he needed to accept he was not goin* to be an NHL player as a scorer.  He learned and accepted his role as a hard nosed checker PK guy.  This is the perfect timing to sign him.  He’s going to be really good for us.  Manny Mslholtra like good.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Playing with Boston brings a bit of bite to your game and Lazar does throw his body around. Hopefully working with us gets his faceoffs up a bit but he is a mild improvement on Lammikko. Personally I would have loved to see Lammy and Lazar play on the same line. We need a fine balance between big hitters and guys who can forecheck, skate and kill penalties well. Not sure about this Joshua guy, Lockwood's still got some learning to do but Lazar is a brilliant 4C who played up a lot in Boston on the PK to get around 14 minutes a lot of the time which is what you need.