The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Does Höglander need waivers to go down to Abby?

He's exempt for three season or 143 NHL games played. Meaning yes, he can be safely sent to Abby. he can play another 27 games before becoming waiver eligible.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The least phyical line in the NHL right there. They were the bottom three forwards with 20+ games on the team in hits per 60 minutes. Plus Petey loses more faceoffs than he wins (44.1%). Petey may actually be better used as a winger than at C. He took over 500 faceoffs last season and had no improvemnt from the first half to the second half. 

Podz Pettersson Mikheyev would make more sense. Two reasonably physical wingers and both are defensively responsible when Petey loses draws. At least the entire line is defensively repsonsible and there is some physicality to it. Garland is very responsible defensively but is only a little more physical than Petey. Even Garland Petey Mikheyev (or Podz) would be a better option. The improvement in Podz defenfensive was rather remarkable over the past season and Garland isn't particularly physical but he does really hound players defensively. 

if Hogs doesn't make the top nine I could see him playing in Abby to work on the defensive side of his game. He's not physical nor defensively responsible enough for 4th line. He'd be the weakest link there. Even third line he'd likely be the weakest link. With Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, and Karlsson coming in this year Hogs is going to be hard pressed. Podz has already passed him on the depth chart imo.There's going to be real competition this year for those middle six spots.

Interesting perspective. 

- Least physical line: Well, least physically punishing line - yes. But does every line need to be a crushing force? I think the idea of this first line is designed around quick puck movement... which hopefully limits the requirement of physicality. I do agree with your point about Petey's faceoff %. But if Miller left, do we have any other choice?

- As for Hogs not being good defensively - is that really true? He has such a motor I thought he tended to catch up with opponents. His Corsi was 3rd or 4th best on the entire team. While he certainly didn't have a good followup season, I think he will demonstrate enough to stay in the lineup. I'd sooner suggest it's Karlsson who could use the added AHL time to get used to the North American setting...

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Holy crap…. Very scared for this deal hope it works out… how we afford this though 

Nobody should be "very scared" of 4 year deals. 

This is the exact kind of skill over grit kind of signing that Rutherford makes. Its the *only* thing I don't mind about Rutherford. He doesn't like tweeners. 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So HF is saying that Mikheyev has "hands of stone", yet he scored 21 goals in 53 games last season with majority Dzone starts. 

What am I missing?

Same thing as always. Bunch of hater morons on HatersFourm. 

If JT is still here in October, here is my starting lineup 

Kuz Miller Garland

Podz Petey BB6

Mikheyev Bo Pearson

Hogz Lazar Lockwood

Quinn Schenn

OEL Myers

Rathbone Dermott

Doesn’t look much better than last year. But I’ll still watch and support them from game 1 to 82 and hopefully a few more 

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Hope this is how things work out.

To me, this is the first big test of the new management group. With the beefed up pro scouting unit, new AGMs, and emphasis on consensus decision-making not to mention Allvin and JR at the top, I am sure a lot of due diligence went into this move.

Mikheyev is a good player but this is a high price tag, especially for a team as cap-constrained as the Canucks.

The Canucks do have just enough cap room for today's moves but they will be into LTIR and have basically zero cap room left unless they move someone out. 

Let's see if our coaching is an upgrade. For a guy that's notorious for putting it in the crest, the solution is easy. 

Shots shots shots shots shots. Old school set it up in the garage if needed.

Except his goal is only 2 feet tall. Instead of hitting it in the crest, blast it off his pads. Teammates catching up can bury it.

It's not really a giant change to keep the shot down a little. This can be taught. 

The other intangibles not so much....

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Depend the age of the player.  He’ll be 28 by season start so we’ll have signed him from 28-32, essentially the rest of his prime. 

I know. But lets not carry on the Benning tradition by calling 4 year deals "bloated" contracts. 

Lets be happy that it isn't a 6 year deal. 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

3 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Kuz Miller Garland

Podz Petey BB6

Mikheyev Bo Pearson

Hogz Lazar Lockwood

Quinn Schenn

OEL Myers

Rathbone Dermott

Doesn’t look much better than last year. But I’ll still watch and support them from game 1 to 82 and hopefully a few more 

You forgot Sutter. 

Schenn is not a top 2 D man. That's the bigger problem, the back end. See what they can do to fix it. JR already said in the last interview that it's a problem they are not likely to be able to fix right away. 

In Demko/Martin we trust. 

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I know. But lets not carry on the Benning tradition by calling 4 year deals "bloated" contracts. 

I know. Not saying this is one. More along the lines of Pearson/Tortola type deals that the term lasts their entire prime. 

Rather than a Beagle that’s term takes him past his prime. 

8 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Kuz Miller Garland

Podz Petey BB6

Mikheyev Bo Pearson

Hogz Lazar Lockwood

Quinn Schenn

OEL Myers

Rathbone Dermott

Petey and Boeser are just colossally horrible together

5 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Garland is a 50 point 5M per player that drives the play. This guy is a 32 point guy. Why did we get this guy for nearly the same cap hit? If we lose Garland for this I wouldn’t be happy.

I love Garland but I’m taking Mikheyev over him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

You forgot Sutter. 

Schenn is not a top 2 D man. That's the bigger problem, the back end. See what they can do to fix it. JR already said in the last interview that it's a problem they are not likely to be able to fix right away. 

In Demko/Martin we trust. 

Let's pray demko doesn't get hurt

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Interesting perspective. 

- Least physical line: Well, least physically punishing line - yes. But does every line need to be a crushing force? I think the idea of this first line is designed around quick puck movement... which hopefully limits the requirement of physicality. I do agree with your point about Petey's faceoff %. But if Miller left, do we have any other choice?

- As for Hogs not being good defensively - is that really true? He has such a motor I thought he tended to catch up with opponents. His Corsi was 3rd or 4th best on the entire team. While he certainly didn't have a good followup season, I think he will demonstrate enough to stay in the lineup. I'd sooner suggest it's Karlsson who could use the added AHL time to get used to the North American setting...

hey, the Sedins weren't particularly physical but they were incredibly tough along the boards and had a physical linemate throughout their best years. Both were also responsible defensively. Neither Petey or Boeser are as strong along the boards and would wouldn't even call Boeser strong on the puck. 

Did Hogs need a year in the AHL when he came over? This is why I said he's got his work cut out for him with those three added to the mix.  In the offseason two years ago Virtanen was 100% expected to be in the top 6 with Tofi signing in Montreal. Was Hogs expected to even make the team? He was a question mark that not only made the team he stole the top six spot from Virtanen. Last season I saw Hogs much like Virtanen, an inconsistant effort and not particualrly good in his own end. particularly along the boards.

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

I love Garland but I’m taking Mikheyev over him.

Not even close.  Garland is a third line guy who can’t play PP or PK.  If we can get a pick for him (and not take back any money) that’s a huge win. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Not even close.  Garland is a third line guy who can’t play PP or PK.  If we can get a pick for him (and not take back any money) that’s a huge win. 

I'd take Garland over boeser. He does more for his money.

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Assuming Miller is traded

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Boeser

Garland - Horvat - Podkolzin

Mikheyev - Dickinson - Hoglander

That first line will get killed imo. Boeser and Pettersson do not click, haven’t clicked for a long time now. Kuz will likely be a middle 6’er. 

I need a Miller for Lundell trade. $&!# I would even retain :ph34r:.

• Vintage 1

Miller's staying

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Mikheyev

Hoglander - Lazar - Podkolzin

Dickinson - Joshua - Lockwood

Ferland (I wish)

Trade Pearson and Garland (and Myers?) for upgraded RD

Gotta say, I've been enjoying the unfortunate circumstances with CGY and TOR. Flames are facing possibly losing both Gaudreau and Tkachuk. TOR still doesn't have goaltending.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The model uses age statistics which have the average players prime at 27-28 years old it looks like, then devaluing as they approach 30 pretty hard. Different for all plays but they likely use the averages. 

yea it devalues real hard at 30 it seems from 6 mil to 2.3mil. Not sure I would agree with that. Look at Gudbranson.. what a hefty raise from last year.